• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Is Manual Clutch Now Officially "Retro"?

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So what is it about 1st gear in a Porsche 911 that requires sobriety to engage?

Very stiff clutch and little margin of error in pedal coordination when moving from a standstill.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
My 1991 Dodge Cummins diesel pickup has a 5 speed manual Getrag transmission (they also make transmissions for BMW) that is very smooth shifting and has a shifter with an incredibly long throw. 5th gear is way over and way up there so you will never put it in 3rd gear by mistake.

I have used the truck to mostly pull a 5th wheel trailer or haul around a truck camper so if it was an auto trans. then I would be changing trans. fluid and filters often and would likely have purchased an aftermarket trans, cooler and temperature gage. With the Getrag 5speed manual the trans. fluid is motor oil that according to the Owner's Manual, never needs to be changed. I did have the trans. oil changed about 8 or 9 years ago.

x10003q

Out on the slopes
Skier
My 1991 Dodge Cummins diesel pickup has a 5 speed manual Getrag transmission (they also make transmissions for BMW) that is very smooth shifting and has a shifter with an incredibly long throw. 5th gear is way over and way up there so you will never put it in 3rd gear by mistake.

I have used the truck to mostly pull a 5th wheel trailer or haul around a truck camper so if it was an auto trans. then I would be changing trans. fluid and filters often and would likely have purchased an aftermarket trans, cooler and temperature gage. With the Getrag 5speed manual the trans. fluid is motor oil that according to the Owner's Manual, never needs to be changed. I did have the trans. oil changed about 8 or 9 years ago.

Your 5.9 Cummins is one of the best diesel engines ever put into a pickup. Have you done any upgrades?

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Your 5.9 Cummins is one of the best diesel engines ever put into a pickup. Have you done any upgrades?

I have a K&N air filter in the stock air box and a baffle-less flow thru muffler. Also a Kelderman Air Bag (front and rear) suspension upgrade and an extra front leaf spring on each side. The engine is stock but will easily do 75mph on the highway with a 3000lb. camper in the back. Empty, the truck gets better fuel economy than my Volvo XC70, although I probably drive the XC70 a bit more aggressively.

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider

But as with BMW, I'll go with 'Lifetime Fill', when they go with LIFETIME WARRANTY...
ain't gonna happen.
Till it does it's a 40k oil change in the trans and diffs for my cars.

Carl Kuck

Ambassador of Stoke
Skier
@PhilpugLife in Miata land is good! :D

My '02 SE is a 6-speed manual, my wife's '07 is an auto. When I drive her car, I use the steering wheel paddle shifters. Yes, life in Miata land is good... :thumb:

My '08 LLB/OBW is an auto. I used to own a boat (late '90s Whaler Montauk) and agreed with the notion that hauling a trailer is much easier with an auto. And, yes, I have experienced both happy days in a boat owner's life... :roflmao:

Carl Kuck

Ambassador of Stoke
Skier
Very stiff clutch and little margin of error in pedal coordination when moving from a standstill.

Heh. I also owned a '67 911S coupe. That sucker would do 55 in first gear... :eek:

Carl Kuck

Ambassador of Stoke
Skier
& 95 in second.

Easily! The car had a slightly taller rear end, the previous owner set it up as a vintage racer and I had the distinct pleasure of driving at Riverside, Willow Springs (both Streets Of and the main track), and Laguna Seca!

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I drive a stick. I am old (my 5yo tells me so). Thus stick shifts are old fashioned.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Prior to air assist truck transmissions, splitters & range selectors the twin stick was used. A main box and a auxiliary box. Fazed out around the late 50s.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
So what is it about 1st gear in a Porsche 911 that requires sobriety to engage?

Porsche is hard because the clutch pedal stalk goes down into the floor instead of up and through the firewall so the motion is different from what you are used to, and you can't really leave your heel on the floor either or your foot will slip off the pedal as it moves. Pretty much everybody stalls it their first try.

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier

Great all around work vehicle... sucks to be behind one or in front of one at a drive thru though. I had to pull around to the window and place my order face to face last night because the intercom was drowned out by that rattling and rumbling coming from the hood behind me..

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Porsche is hard because the clutch pedal stalk goes down into the floor instead of up and through the firewall so the motion is different from what you are used to, and you can't really leave your heel on the floor either or your foot will slip off the pedal as it moves. Pretty much everybody stalls it their first try.

The irony here is that even Citroen, when designing the DS, didn't have the gall to eff with the clutch pedal at that level.

I was totally using that just the other week - turns out that a Mazda 6 in 5th gear with a roof rack can't exceed BC speed limits. Extremely helpful when it's 2am PST and you've been up since 4am EST.

Last edited:

Sponsor