• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ibis Mojo3 vs Ripley LS or other cause to post regarding tire width

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Here's a bike I'd really like to try. https://www.pinkbike.com/news/pivot-mach-55-carbon-first-ride.html I demoed the Mach 5.7 once, and it was one of the best bikes I've ever riden. The bars were too wide, stem was too short and the shock was sprung wrong for me and it was still one of the best bikes I'd ever ridden. The next year I demoed the Mach 6 and wow, that bike was just not for me. It felt like a first generation 29er. It wouldn't turn, felt like it was made for cruising double track in Acadia. Thank God I demoed it because I was seriously considering buying based on my ride on the 5.7. Hopefully Pivot will have this bike at NEMBAfest on June 20th, as I'd love to try it. Going to have another go at the YT's and check out the new Intense offerings. One if the new Intense's should be on your list too. The Primer perhaps?

Reactions: Ron
TS
Ron

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
LOL, JINX. i jut posted a video on that bike. Im not sure I want a 140/160 bike for all the climbing we do. I think the manufacturers are targeting the"down" far more than the all mountain and certainly sustained climbs. this may be fine for the majority of riders but its not really ideal for my needs.

im counting on you and mike for posting up good stuff from the show. :thumb:

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
Longer travel bikes have gotten so good at climbing. i find it hard to see the appeal in the shorter travel bikes now.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
One if the new Intense's should be on your list too. The Primer perhaps?

What I said above. ogwink They nailed the suspension on that bike, to my taste, based on a short ride. Very pricy for what you get, though, imho.

Erik Timmerman

Instructor

If it was about weight would 27.5+ wheels and tires be in the conversation? Anyway, I'm not sure weight matters as much as we want to believe even rotating weight. I have two wheel sets for my bike with a couple pounds difference and my Strava times on climbs do not change when I change wheels. If I lost twenty pounds maybe it would start to matter.

scott43

Skier
Well, apart from the cost... :-p I saw a rig listing for $10,599..I mean, you have to have rocks in your head..or disposable income maybe.. :huh:

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
What I said above. ogwink They nailed the suspension on that bike, to my taste, based on a short ride. Very pricy for what you get, though, imho.

WTF:
ahyaaaahhh, wait: did I read the $9500 price tag correct? :) the bike looks good on paper but lost me at PF BB and those DT swiss, 1200 36t DT Swiss 350 hubs paired up with a 24mm internal. I believe @Josh Matta said it a year back that the Ibis wheels are about the best overall value out there. i recently had 2 bikes both mounted with 2.35 NN's side-by-side one with Ibis 35 internals and the other was a mid 20's. the two tires were not even close to the same width. As far as hubs go, I'm a hack and I could clearly tell the difference when going from DT350's to I9's.

if i were going to spring for the big bucks, I would still take the 2018 Trek FEX 9.9 (hopefully with the new XXX wheels) or the $7800 Ripley with those new 942 Ibis wheels spec'd with 2018 Fox Fork.

FWIW the I9 Torch hub that Ibis is spec'ing is a 60t, 6 pawl 3* hub. I asked Ibis to comment on this but never heard back. the Full Torch spec is a 120, 6 pawl 3*. I would think the 6 pawl and 3* engagement is still much quicker than even a DT 54t 10* hub calling @Tom K. on this since he had ridden the XXX

Last edited:
TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
BTW- I sold my Trance for $4K so I have a little buffer to play with.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Longer travel bikes have gotten so good at climbing. i find it hard to see the appeal in the shorter travel bikes now.

I'm going to have to disagree on this. I've got two mtbs, a Trek Fuel EX and a Remedy, both 29ers.

It's true that the Remedy climbs nearly as well as the Fuel, and is superior in chunky downhill environments, but in flowy, twisty single track settings, the Fuel EX is just so much more nimble and engaging and just plain zippy feeling.

Kind of like the difference between a sports sedan and a CUV.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Another candidate, which I am warming up to is the Santa Cruz Hightower 9'r.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
FWIW- I learned about POE vs teeth today. I got this back from IBIS,

"Our hubs ARE the 6 pawl 3 degree (120 POE) version.

There's probably some confusion because there are 60 teeth on the ratchet side, but there are 6 pawls that engage in two different groups of 3:

· Industry Nine hubs with 60t ratchet, 6 pawls out of phase. 3º engagement

360 degrees divided by 3 degrees = 120 POE."

In other words, our hubs are the 120 POE

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't care how good the engagement is - can't abide the racket those I9 hubs make.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
WTF: ahyaaaahhh, wait: did I read the $9500 price tag correct? :) the bike looks good on pape

I rode the $5800 one. And i actually liked the feel of the Pike on that bike better than the Factory 34 that practically every high end trail bike seems to be spec'd with now. Wheels were nothing special, it's true.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
I don't care how good the engagement is - can't abide the racket those I9 hubs make.

Ehh, the new bearings they starting using aren't really that bad. A little buzz on blind switchbacks isn't a bad thing. :)

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
FWIW- I learned about POE vs teeth today. I got this back from IBIS,

"Our hubs ARE the 6 pawl 3 degree (120 POE) version.

There's probably some confusion because there are 60 teeth on the ratchet side, but there are 6 pawls that engage in two different groups of 3:

· Industry Nine hubs with 60t ratchet, 6 pawls out of phase. 3º engagement

360 degrees divided by 3 degrees = 120 POE."

In other words, our hubs are the 120 POE
You make my gear obsession appear weak I'm going to use you as ammo when my wife complains:beercheer:

I understand the advantage of what you are saying about engagement but I wouldn't spend one penny more to get it. I don't race so a few thousands of a second difference isn't going to make a difference in my riding. I like nice stuff but not just for the sake of having highly engineered stuff that has no effective impact on my riding.

I'm following this thread eagerly because I've got the 29er jones so interested to see where this goes.

I'm leaning toward a SB4.5 myself but am open. I took a quick spin on one and that Switch Infinity system is superb.

Reactions: Ron
TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Count me in as well. The sb4.5c was suggested to me and after looking into it I am intrigued at the 114 shock and 140 fork and the switch infinity suspension does look efficient. Bike bible loved it.

@UGASkiDawg did you get a chance to descend on the bike? Did you. Feel the rear was plush enough? No bucking/deflection or bottoming out ?

You Don't need to pay more for a better hub necessarily. But on a technical line or steep climb you will notice it. It's not relevant for road bikes. No, it's not the end of the world but I value my wheelset more than a higher level of shifters or brakes. I would take a better wheelset and a lower build any day. When you look at the cost of a wheelset, you should look at the total build, not just the rim. A lot of people just don't pay attention or know about POE when buying wheels but it does make a difference. POE is important but so it the overall hub; bearings serviceability and roll resistance. The sound it makes is really important to some but I don't care about that.

Updated list
Ibis Ripley LS
Trek fuel ex
Santa Cruz Hightower
Yeti sb4.5c.

Last edited:

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
I just took it on a quick 3 miles around Frisco peninsula trails so no real descending. In in horrible shape so couldn't really test the climbing as my lungs were about to explode but I did clean a line I had trouble with on my 2012 frankenbike remedy. Really like the way it tracks on the climbs. Yeti's are gorgeous but I don't like the pricing. Hoping to maybe find a deal late summer on the year changeover but I'll demo a full day later this season to validate. I'm hoping you pick a bike first so I can narrow it down and only demo 2 or 3 bikes. I'm intrigued by the Hightower and 429.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
We are in the same boat as far as timeline I won't be able to truly test a Bike for quite some time but hope to get out maybe late July on some mellow or flatter stuff. I would take a leftover fpr sure Need to find out rear tire clearance as the bike is specd now a 2.6 knobby Nic or maxxis wt is not that wide but is designed for wider internal wheels that's kind of my goal at this point as far as what I think I would like

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
Unfortunately it will only take a 2.3 (and that's a maybe) in the rear.

Sponsor

Staff online