• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ibis Mojo3 vs Ripley LS or other cause to post regarding tire width

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I rode the $5800 one. And i actually liked the feel of the Pike on that bike better than the Factory 34 that practically every high end trail bike seems to be spec'd with now.

This is very, very difficult to argue with.

When I race, I run the Fox 34 for its much firmer lockout.

For training/trail riding, my bike is typically sporting a Pike.

SRAM just NAILED it with this fork (after working through a few seal head problems the first two years).

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm leaning toward a SB4.5 myself but am open. I took a quick spin on one and that Switch Infinity system is superb.

Yup. I rode both that and the sb5c last summer. Proper singletrack demos, except compromised a bit on the 4.5 due to a dodgy tire seal. Very similar feel to the suspension between the two, not surprisingly. My SO was bike shopping at the time and ended up with the sb5c after trying a lot of bikes. (See photo in 2017 MTB thread).

I am pretty much stuck on 29s, though. Thought the Jet 9 was a great all arounder for my needs (and my old RIP has been a rock, so a little brand-loyal to Niner). But the Yeti controlled plushness was really special.

Not having been able to find an Intense Primer at a reasonable price for anything resembling the setup I want, I just bought a used sb 4.5 long distance ... Somewhat risky move; we'll see how it shakes out!

TS
Ron

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Congrats on the bike:toast Awaiting more details.

Tire clearance. - as most know, tire width is really based on rim internal width and outer knob width and not what's printed on the tire so I am going to see what I can find out on the sb4.5.c. Fwiw, I was told a trek FEX will most likely take a schwable nn 2.6. Many manufacturers just published that their rears can clear a 2.3 but that was based the industry not having many tires that were larger ( I could live with a schwalbe nn2.35 on a rear setup on a 30-35mm) :)

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
I am not worthy. The downhill and switchbacks at around 7-9 minutes are nuts. The whole thing is nuts but just wow

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
hey Yeti testers, did anyone ride a 5.5 before or after a 4.5?

Also- is there any real difference between the "performance" fox line and Factory? (other than the kashima) i see that the Yeti line goes to the performance series once you go to the "C" frames from the "CC" frames.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Ron, I know this is not a bike in the running for you, but the first time I saw one, I thought - "That would match Ron's Grass Sticks"
http://usa.bamboocycles.com/product/street-raw/
8.jpg

Reactions: Ron

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
I'm setting up a demo of four bikes once we complete our move in Mid June.

I'm thinking

429 Trail
SB4.5
Spot Mayhem
Tallboy (not convinced I want to bother with vpp) or SB5 just to change up wheel size.

Golden bikes does a nice demo program of $250 for 4 24 hours demo. Since they are closed on Sat you can pick up the bike Friday night and bring it back Sunday night as your "24" hour period. Have 5 weeks to get it all done and then you can apply that to your purchase.

They carry Pivot, Yeti, SC and Spot.

Anyone spent any time on the Spot Rollik?

Last edited:
TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
No ibis? Rilpey LS or mojo3.

I own a spot Acme for my townie bike . Very fun bike running a 11speed Alfine with a gates belt drive

Don't forget you can run a 429 in 27.5.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
What have you got against VPP? I happen to think it works great. They're not all the same either, driven off the upper link, or the lower link, different pivot locations. Just seems weird to dismiss it.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yeah, weight. Weight because a longer suspension bike is assumed to go faster over rocky terrain, so it has to be sturfy.

You obviously don't do that , so a short travel bike is fine for you.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
ummm when is a heavy bike ever prefered? I mean just adding weight or weights sake.

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
ummm when is a heavy bike ever prefered? I mean just adding weight or weights sake.
correct...or even adding weight for the sakes of more travel which I'm never gonna use. The limiting factor in my downhill speed isn't suspension travel it's the size of my balls. My balls aren't getting any bigger as I get older so 4 to 5 inches of travel is just fine for me and the odds of me ever pushing that much travel beyond it's limits are slim and none. Lighter is better!

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
Afford is always about priorities for most of the folks posting on this board. I would never pay 15K for bike either but 5K I might. Lighter is better all other things being equal which of course they aren't but I'll give up 2 inches of travel to save a pound or two because I'm never gonna use that extra 2 inches of travel.

@Ron I'd try a Ripley but so far I haven't seen one at the shops I frequent and I've never seen one in the wild.

@epic I'm probably going to try a SC with VPP but from admittedly limited experience and copious research on the various suspension designs it doesn't climb as well as the DW link bikes and climbing is top priority. I'll be fine if I'm proven wrong.