• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

I want pass the CSIA L1 test,but I have the poor English.

ilovepugs

The human form of the 100 emoji
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ha,I speak Mandarin.
I had a lot of Mandarin-speaking students over Christmas break at Jay Peak. They enjoyed my 北京口音 (technically I am a 美国华侨 of 广东 heritage and grew up speaking 广东话 but I lived a year in Beijing) but didn’t tip extra… :/ The kids spoke good English though.

TS
huoshumingh

huoshumingh

Booting up
Skier
I had a lot of Mandarin-speaking students over Christmas break at Jay Peak. They enjoyed my 北京口音 (technically I am a 美国华侨 of 广东 heritage and grew up speaking 广东话 but I lived a year in Beijing) but didn’t tip extra… :/ The kids spoke good English though.
Thank you for your message. My wife and I arrived in Canada last year, maybe to start a new life again. As someone from northern China, I really enjoy the Canadian weather. I've been skiing and teaching skiing for over a decade, so I hope to continue doing what I love here in Canada. However, the language barrier is a bit of a challenge for me right now. I'm spending more than three hours every day learning English, hoping to pass the exam next month

Slasher

Getting on the lift
Skier
I'm a CSIA L1 course conductor in BC (Sea-to-Sky corridor). Dunno about out east, but out west I'd say ~50% of candidates are Chinese, of varying English ability. Don't worry about your language fluency or your ability to recite from the manuals. Do worry about your ability to understand what's going on, give good demonstrations (appropriate and accurate), and convey your ideas with limited language (use body language to help). Energy and enthusiasm will go a long way. Remember that the safety aspect is a must-pass -- the most common reason that I've failed candidates is that they were careless (not keeping their "students" organized and safe). The second most common reason is that many candidates are shockingly bad skiers (Dunning-Kruger Effect) -- make sure you can do excellent wedge turns and decent medium-speed parallel turns on groomers. Judging by your profile pic, your parallel will fine, but don't be complacent about your wedge demos.

Last edited:

ilovepugs

The human form of the 100 emoji
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thank you for your message. My wife and I arrived in Canada last year, maybe to start a new life again. As someone from northern China, I really enjoy the Canadian weather. I've been skiing and teaching skiing for over a decade, so I hope to continue doing what I love here in Canada. However, the language barrier is a bit of a challenge for me right now. I'm spending more than three hours every day learning English, hoping to pass the exam next month
Keep at it and see if you can find some fluent English speaking skiers to ski with! Studying is important but conversational ability in social settings is just as important.

Slasher

Getting on the lift
Skier
BTW, there are several WeChat channels for CSIA and PSIC discussions -- you should join them.

TS
huoshumingh

huoshumingh

Booting up
Skier
I'm a CSIA L1 course conductor in BC (Sea-to-Sky corridor). Dunno about out east, but out west I'd say ~50% of candidates are Chinese, of varying English ability. Don't worry about your language fluency or your ability to recite from the manuals. Do worry about your ability to understand what's going on, give good demonstrations (appropriate and accurate), and convey your ideas with limited language (use body language to help). Energy and enthusiasm will go a long way. Remember that the safety aspect is a must-pass -- the most common reason that I've failed candidates is that they were careless (not keeping their "students" organized and safe). The second most common reason is that many candidates are shockingly bad skiers (Dunning-Kruger Effect) -- make sure you can do excellent wedge turns and decent medium-speed parallel turns on groomers. Judging by your profile pic, your parallel will fine, but don't be complacent about your wedge demos.
Thank u so much.good demonstrations,ideas with limited language,safety aspect,wedge demos.I'll keep that in mind.

TS
huoshumingh

huoshumingh

Booting up
Skier
Keep at it and see if you can find some fluent English speaking skiers to ski with! Studying is important but conversational ability in social settings is just as important.
Yep, I have a tutor, and I am trying to make new friends. I find it interesting to have small talk with strangers; I couldn't imagine doing that in China.

justplanesteve

Getting off the lift
Skier
Any updates?
:)
Partially due to all the universities in the region we get a lot of international students, from faculty on sabbatical with wives and kids, to undergrads and grad students themselves.
I was thinking of you 2 weekends ago when assigned another Mandarin speaker. It took a bit to realize that she gave a very good impression of understanding English, but didn't really. (Comp Sci grad student) OTOH, she had many more English words than i had Mandarin (-0-). We settled on kuai (fast?) for french fries & man (slow?) for pizza.

Hope it is going well for you.
smt

TS
huoshumingh

huoshumingh

Booting up
Skier
Any updates?
:)
Partially due to all the universities in the region we get a lot of international students, from faculty on sabbatical with wives and kids, to undergrads and grad students themselves.
I was thinking of you 2 weekends ago when assigned another Mandarin speaker. It took a bit to realize that she gave a very good impression of understanding English, but didn't really. (Comp Sci grad student) OTOH, she had many more English words than i had Mandarin (-0-). We settled on kuai (fast?) for french fries & man (slow?) for pizza.

Hope it is going well for you.
smt
Hi,today I completed the first day of the course and gained a lot, although I could only understand 30% of the content. My examiner's name is Alian, a very talkative and nice person. He asked us to study the content on https://csia-lesson-plan.com/ after class today. Hoping for a better performance from me tomorrow.

TS
huoshumingh

huoshumingh

Booting up
Skier
Is that you in your picture - yellow ski gear? If it is, skip Level 1 and Level 2
Yes,it's me.I believe I can still learn a lot through the systematic study. Thank you for your encouragement. I completed my first day of the course today. The snow in Ontario has melted into water. This skiing season's first and last time skiing.:-(

justplanesteve

Getting off the lift
Skier
Hi,today I completed the first day of the course and gained a lot, although I could only understand 30% of the content. My examiner's name is Alian, a very talkative and nice person. He asked us to study the content on https://csia-lesson-plan.com/ after class today. Hoping for a better performance from me tomorrow.

Sounds like it is going well.
Best of luck tomorrow!

Sponsor

Staff online