• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

I want pass the CSIA L1 test,but I have the poor English.

huoshumingh

Booting up
Skier
As the title,I have ski more than 10 years.Last year I movie to Canada,so I applied the CSIA L1 test,next mouth I will take this test,but English drive me crazy,It would be great if everyone had subtitles when they speak.
Now,I read the L1 Certification Candidate Guide everyday,I dont know if it's useful.I wonder if, in the teaching exam, just recite all the content from the manual is OK?

Thank you for your help.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
I did my L1 too many years ago. So, not even up on the curriculum. But, I don't think that they would like you to recite the book.

I know some L1 course conductors. I'll see what I can find out from them over the weekend.

If you that uncomfortable with the language, maybe wait another year?

TS
huoshumingh

huoshumingh

Booting up
Skier
I did my L1 too many years ago. So, not even up on the curriculum. But, I don't think that they would like you to recite the book.

I know some L1 course conductors. I'll see what I can find out from them over the weekend.

If you that uncomfortable with the language, maybe wait another year?
Think you so much,but i have already registered for the exam.BTW, this season is so warm in Ontario.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I wouldnt stress about it too much. L1 is not a very high barrier. As long as you can ski reasonably well, have a basic understanding of the fundamentals (read your book) ,and can demonstrate them, you will be fine. Language shouldnt be too much of an issue at this point

justplanesteve

Getting off the lift
Skier
Do you have a cert from another ski association such as BSA1 or Euro equivalent?

I've been prepping for PSIA L1 & your Q prompted me to wonder if CSIA published similar webinars and such.
Googling "CSIA L1 assessment" And "CSIA L1 webinar" generated a lot of hits.

Such as

Maybe Jilly or someone else in CSIA can point to other examples or suggest which ones might be useful?

They want you to pass.
But you have to be certain to understand what technical skiing fundamentals are expected to be second nature to you, and how they are expected to be applied in a lesson plan (5 in PSIA. Per my most recent webinar, rather than list them, i have to be prepared to explain how i use at least 3 of them in any exercise or drill i prepare for a student). Plus a range of social and teaching skills like greeting the guest, developing an understanding of their needs, how to (shorthand) "coach" or inspire besides the technical skills. Since a lot of us lower cert teachers often spend half of our time with small, young, guests, there might (or might not) be a section on typical activities for very young beginners. In PSIA i have to be able to develop a lesson plan and use it, for any age guest or group they decide to throw out. Funny, in real life that has never been a problem - i love the process. Somehow trying to conceptualize it for a test is making me anxious.

I think what i am trying to say, is be sure to understand & practice the parts that are teaching focused. If anything like PSIA, they don't care if you memorized the manual, they want to see how you apply it; and whether you can describe what you are doing and why, while doing it. We can all ski pretty well (presumably well enough for L1) or we would not have been nominated to take the cert. PSIA (appropriately) makes clear that during an assessment, they are constantly grading your personal, interpersonal, and group interactions.

Good luck!

TS
huoshumingh

huoshumingh

Booting up
Skier
I wouldnt stress about it too much. L1 is not a very high barrier. As long as you can ski reasonably well, have a basic understanding of the fundamentals (read your book) ,and can demonstrate them, you will be fine. Language shouldnt be too much of an issue at this point
Thank you for your advice, I feel like I've seen a glimmer of hope. I've been reading a lot recently, hoping to pass the exam smoothly

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
You might be having Spenser for your course conductor. With no Devil's Elbow anymore at Peterborough, I'm surprise that Sir Sam's or Brimacombe weren't having L1. Maybe the Brim doesn't have the terrain.

I guess the best thing is to be upfront about the language barrier.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Are you Chinese? There is a bit of a Chinese community in PSIA though I’m not sure how to connect you with them. I think there is a Facebook group. I had one in a Level 2 clinic. She had already passed her level 1 and I think has a good shot at level 2 even though she has never taught a lesson.

TS
huoshumingh

huoshumingh

Booting up
Skier
Are you Chinese? There is a bit of a Chinese community in PSIA though I’m not sure how to connect you with them. I think there is a Facebook group. I had one in a Level 2 clinic. She had already passed her level 1 and I think has a good shot at level 2 even though she has never taught a lesson.
Yes, but I reside in a small town. Joining a Facebook group sounds like a great idea. Thank you very much.

TS
huoshumingh

huoshumingh

Booting up
Skier
You might be having Spenser for your course conductor. With no Devil's Elbow anymore at Peterborough, I'm surprise that Sir Sam's or Brimacombe weren't having L1. Maybe the Brim doesn't have the terrain.

I guess the best thing is to be upfront about the language barrier.
I hope my course conductor tolerates my English expression skills

TS
huoshumingh

huoshumingh

Booting up
Skier
Do you have a cert from another ski association such as BSA1 or Euro equivalent?

I've been prepping for PSIA L1 & your Q prompted me to wonder if CSIA published similar webinars and such.
Googling "CSIA L1 assessment" And "CSIA L1 webinar" generated a lot of hits.

Such as

Maybe Jilly or someone else in CSIA can point to other examples or suggest which ones might be useful?

They want you to pass.
But you have to be certain to understand what technical skiing fundamentals are expected to be second nature to you, and how they are expected to be applied in a lesson plan (5 in PSIA. Per my most recent webinar, rather than list them, i have to be prepared to explain how i use at least 3 of them in any exercise or drill i prepare for a student). Plus a range of social and teaching skills like greeting the guest, developing an understanding of their needs, how to (shorthand) "coach" or inspire besides the technical skills. Since a lot of us lower cert teachers often spend half of our time with small, young, guests, there might (or might not) be a section on typical activities for very young beginners. In PSIA i have to be able to develop a lesson plan and use it, for any age guest or group they decide to throw out. Funny, in real life that has never been a problem - i love the process. Somehow trying to conceptualize it for a test is making me anxious.

I think what i am trying to say, is be sure to understand & practice the parts that are teaching focused. If anything like PSIA, they don't care if you memorized the manual, they want to see how you apply it; and whether you can describe what you are doing and why, while doing it. We can all ski pretty well (presumably well enough for L1) or we would not have been nominated to take the cert. PSIA (appropriately) makes clear that during an assessment, they are constantly grading your personal, interpersonal, and group interactions.

Good luck!
Thank you very much for your reply; it is very helpful to me. I think I should find some videos on YouTube related to teaching and assessment to study and practice. Thank you again.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You may find that a lot of your coursemates are mandarin speakers as well. Dont sweat it. You'll be fine

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid

Members online