• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Head Monster 88 verses Rossingnol Experience 88 HD

T2B

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I skied on both of these skis last season. I would agree with everything that has been posted. The monster 88 is much beefier ski. It has the race feel. Being a beefier ski I highly recommend having a boot with the appropriate stiffness/flex.
The first day on the monster 88. I was on a pair of Lange RS 130's. This boot was not enough for me or the skis. I'm 6' 200# with long tibia's compared to my femurs. I switched to my ZB's the next day and found that it made a significant change (no shit Sherlock).
Just make sure your boots match the skis as far as flex. It makes a difference.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Jay, I re-read your post and saw your concerns about fall line vs. less so.... FWIW, the Monsters will make a lot of different turn shapes both skidded, railed, and everthing in between. Where Lewy and I ski a good bit, turn shape (round) is critical for speed control... It's steep. Less skilled skiers will windshield wiper down the hill and lack consistency and flow. None of the skis mentioned in this thread are really made for windshield wiper turns. All will help an advanced skier develop their skill sets and all excel at making 'C' shaped turns vs. 'Z's'.

The M88 is a powerful, versatile ski that rewards a skill set, but is manageable for upper intermediate skiers so long as the length is appropriate. There are several great options in the 85-90 category that all ski very well and happily make a variety of turn shapes. A pair of dynastar powertrack 89's on closeout be a great choice for many folks as well. Other great skis in this group are the Stoeckli SR 88, the Kastle MX 88/89, the latter being much closer in feel and performance to the M88 than a Rossi E88 HD. A lot of folks 'loving' yet struggling on their MX 88's would have been much better served by the Stoeckli and still had the 'refined' ride they were paying for. Anyhow....
I want to echo this. My point previously is that they don't like "park and ride" skiing. I had gotten lazy skiing my Motives (which tolerate park and ride quite well) with my kids. The Heads just reminded me that that is lazy. Impossible to know your abilities, but any solid intermediate is going to be just fine on them. And I personally think they will advance your skiing more than the E88. I haven't been on the latest iteration of of the E88, but comparing the M88 to the previous E88, I'd be strenuously in favor of the Head for anybody who is adept at parallel turns or better . . .

And I agree with @markojp love for the Kastle MX. But that ski I would say does require a little more advanced skill. But only a little. Its like the M88. Only more so.

LewyM

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hi Lewy, sorry for my lack of ski knowledge but I am really interested in your reference to your comment"because if you want to do anything other than make 17m turns on soft groomers, you need to know what you are doing to engage and disengage the edge". I only ski 5 days a year and have only got back to skiing during the last 5 years after a break of 23yrs when i skied every year for 6 years, 5 days each year, so don´t have much knowledge and experience, hence joining Pugski. Last year was really the first year of carving (well thats what I think I was doing, and it felt great) and I have now got much for confidence to skiing up to easy blacks with confidence (I am skiing as I am not rolling or falling or sliding on my ass), it may not be pretty but for the last 4 years I was struggling on easy read runs. The secret was i was using the NRGY 100 169, which I believe was too short but I could control easily and the edges were sharp, before that i was skiing a Salomon 2010/11 24 hr, which didn´t have sharp edges (I have now got them sharpened). Skiing the NRGY 100s I am mostly skiing medium carving turns down the fall line and a slowish (new word) speed (20-25 mph) and I didn´t have any problem in changing from Edge to Edge in order to change direction. I am therefore interested when you say that the tails on the Rossi 88 need to be disengaged (is that the same as saying they get hooked up), I am not sure what you mean by this as I have not experienced it, thanks.

Hi @Jay Carver. I am glad that my post was helpful. FWIW, I am a bit smaller than you are, 5'11, 185# (but close on my tippy toes + a burrito and a couple of beers ogwink).

@markojp pretty well summed up why I am not especially keen on the E88 for an intermediate. It is not because of flex (I found it very soft and compliant on the snow), but because of the shape of the ski, the hammer nose tip and the flat, wide tail, which causes it to ski best when you are really skiing tip to tail. Rolling from the finish of the turn to immediately tip into the next turn. That is where the E88 has a good amount of energy and pop. If you are brushing the tails of the skis back and forth (what Marko called "windshield wiper turns") the sidecut of the ski, combined with the fatter tail will push back and the ski will feel kind of blah. Although skidding and "slarving" have their place in every all-mountain skier's arsenal, it is very common for intermediate skiers to washout the finish of the turn as the core strategy for shedding speed - to the exclusion of shaping and finishing turns. I don't think that the E88s, because of the shape, agree with that style - I'd recommend for you a looser, more neutral shape, but a compliant layup.

You note in the other thread that you are mostly skiing European piste terrain for 5-6 days a season. Given that, I agree with your instructor that the NrGY 100 is a mismatch. It would be workable for that scenario, not ideal, but not absurd either. The bigger problem than model and width is the ski length. At 6', 190# a 169 is absurdly short in that ski. 177 would work better at your size and level if you aren't skiing too fast. Your real size is probably the 184, but that might be hard for you to manage at this stage. On the 169, you probably feel like you can manage the skis ("change edges") because they are easy to toss around at that length. But I would bet that they feel extremely unstable when you get up to speed because relative to your size you don't have much engaged edge to work with.

Given what you have said here and in other threads, I think that you probably want a somewhat compliant, mid-80s underfoot type of ski. A ski with a front-side bias, decent carving chops, but something you can also take off-piste a bit, and that will handle well toward the end of the day when the groomers are cut up, mushy and less pristine. Despite your size, you probably don't want to over-index on stiffness. I haven't been on a ton of the new skis for '18, but one that immediately pops to mind is the Nordica Navigator 85. @Philpug did a nice review of the ski - it seems like a fit, a solid game improvement tool that you won't "grow out of" anytime soon. But get the right size - 179 for sure at your size. Or Phil's recommendation of the Strong Instinct - that's also on the money, similar idea.

Don't be afraid to buy a ski that isn't on the magazine covers. Many of "award-winners" will be less fun and less useful for you. And it should be fun and productive for you, right?

TS
J

Jay Carver

Booting up
Skier
Hi @Jay Carver. I am glad that my post was helpful. FWIW, I am a bit smaller than you are, 5'11, 185# (but close on my tippy toes + a burrito and a couple of beers ogwink).

Given what you have said here and in other threads, I think that you probably want a somewhat compliant, mid-80s underfoot type of ski. A ski with a front-side bias, decent carving chops, but something you can also take off-piste a bit, and that will handle well toward the end of the day when the groomers are cut up, mushy and less pristine. Despite your size, you probably don't want to over-index on stiffness. I haven't been on a ton of the new skis for '18, but one that immediately pops to mind is the Nordica Navigator 85. @Philpug did a nice review of the ski - it seems like a fit, a solid game improvement tool that you won't "grow out of" anytime soon. But get the right size - 179 for sure at your size. Or Phil's recommendation of the Strong Instinct - that's also on the money, similar idea.

Don't be afraid to buy a ski that isn't on the magazine covers. Many of "award-winners" will be less fun and less useful for you. And it should be fun and productive for you, right?

Thanks very much for your comments and you were correct about the 169 NRGY 100. While away on holiday I replaced it through Ebay with an Enforcer 100 - 177, and due to the harder ski conditions in Italy (will go again next year) bought an ex-display pair of Head Supershape ispeed (not the best option but for new they were cheap). So I will see how these go next year in Austria and Italy and see if I can improved my level, and them maybe look again at a 80-90 ski.

Sponsor