• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Good place for never-ever's to get started, near NYC?

Groomer61

Booting up
Skier
I would consider going on a weekday to any of the areas along the RT 22 corridor. Getting a package deal for lift/rentals/lessons. Now that the holiday week is past us, they'll get better service in rentals and a class lesson will be like having a private with the full-time instructors that are on staff. Besides saving money on a weekday, there won't be any crowds to deal with.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
Butternut has $29 lift tickets most Fridays.

Bousquet is never really crowded even on weekends. The lodge might be on a day with a race, but the green trail and easier lift are not.
That's one of the advantages of going to the smallest ski area in the region...everyone bypasses it for "bigger is better". And for more advanced skiers, it probably is but that's an advantage for first timers to go to the smaller places

James

Out There
Instructor
Midweek Butternut seems like the place.
IMG_1903.jpeg

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Hey... We're up here chillin' in a big outdoor freezer! The only problem is that this year we've had to endure low snow ... okay by our standards NO SNOW and waaay too many Freeze/Thaw cycles! My wish list is an indoor ski area w/ perfect mogul field construction for practice. :beercheer:
Once a month big snow seeds a bunch of moguls on skiers left as you are headed down. People make fun of big snow but for what it is it's a great place. The indoor freezer is quite lovely on a stupid hot summer day. 2 runs, one of which is a terrain park, ski for an hour and then go to the yard house for happy hour at 3pm. I only go during the week but it's quite nice at this time and I tell ya in July or August it sure feels nice to slide on snow. Plus a few times over the summer and I feel pretty good when November comes around and it's time to outdoor ski.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
I always liked how the trails are seperated by evergreens, gives more of a sense of isolation from the adjacent runs.

I'm assuming that's still the case....it's been over 20 years since I've been there

TS
Mendieta

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Once a month big snow seeds a bunch of moguls on skiers left as you are headed down. People make fun of big snow but for what it is it's a great place. The indoor freezer is quite lovely on a stupid hot summer day. 2 runs, one of which is a terrain park, ski for an hour and then go to the yard house for happy hour at 3pm. I only go during the week but it's quite nice at this time and I tell ya in July or August it sure feels nice to slide on snow. Plus a few times over the summer and I feel pretty good when November comes around and it's time to outdoor ski.
I envy you. I would love a freezer around here for the summer time ...

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
I would take a 1st timer to Big Snow if I was in NYC or NNJ where I live So many advantages no weather, consistent snow. Get them going there and then venture out. What an advantage it would be to have them used to putting on and taking off the equipment, knowing what to expect, in relation to sliding, heck even making turns, when they get to the actual resorts. The "Ramp" as I call it will never replace outdoor skiing but it's a heck of a tool to use in training, for either the beginner or expert.

TS
Mendieta

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
I would take a 1st timer to Big Snow if I was in NYC or NNJ where I live So many advantages no weather, consistent snow. Get them going there and then venture out. What an advantage it would be to have them used to putting on and taking off the equipment, knowing what to expect, in relation to sliding, heck even making turns, when they get to the actual resorts. The "Ramp" as I call it will never replace outdoor skiing but it's a heck of a tool to use in training, for either the beginner or expert.

Yes, I see pros and cons for a beginner. All the pros you mentioned, plus the short commute. The biggest con for a never ever is the fact that you are not getting the biggest satisfaction of skiing: the mountain. And you are getting all the frustration of your first day on snow. The equipment is awkward, not being able to stop terrifying, etc ... and while those might be less annoying in a more controlled environment, there is no satisfaction. So, I worry about the new skier quitting before they actually experience the magic of sliding on a real mountain.

The other thing is cost. Shorter commute definitely means lower cost, but a first ski day seems to cost at least twice as much as in some of the places recommended above.

Anyways, it is a valid option and I'm sure many readers will benefit from this thread, but I don't think it's a no-brainer, for those reasons.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
The other disadvantage of Big Snow is you have a 2 hour window. In-and-out, boom you're done. For a first timer they may be just starting to get acclimated to everything and then they have to leave.
The more I think about it, the more my recomendation for Bear Creek stands. I taught for a season at Shawnee so spent a lot of time with beginners there. I really like the idea of 2 hours instead of one. Weekends will be less crowded at B.C....and the food is better LOL

But definitely a great place to go off-season and further the skiing ability before next season. And the cold feels great in the summer!

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
The other disadvantage of Big Snow is you have a 2 hour window. In-and-out, boom you're done. For a first timer they may be just starting to get acclimated to everything and then they have to leave.
The more I think about it, the more my recomendation for Bear Creek stands. I taught for a season at Shawnee so spent a lot of time with beginners there. I really like the idea of 2 hours instead of one. Weekends will be less crowded at B.C....and the food is better LOL

But definitely a great place to go off-season and further the skiing ability before next season. And the cold feels great in the summer!

Good point about the 2 hour window. I forgot about that detail. Not enough time.

Definitely great over the summer for some practice time once you get started.

James

Out There
Instructor
Just do 2, 2hr windows. Two hrs and they may need a break anyway. Go to the mall and eat. Also, once more it’s raining.
What is Bear Creek?

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
I remember seeing that place on the North East ski maps many, many years ago (anyone remember Big Vanilla at Davos?). I guess I never paid attention to it since it was even smaller than Mt. Peter (where I went once...). Didn't realize it was still in operation.

Sponsor

Staff online