• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Good place for never-ever's to get started, near NYC?

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
So,

I have yet another friend (and her sister), both young adults, looking forward to start skiing, and it seems like they wanna do it this season!

Excited for her! I am hoping to find a place not too far, with a simple equipment+lift+lesson way to get get started, hopefully over a weekend. The goal being getting her able to ride a beginner lift, so she can come back and ski with her sister later on in a familiar place, familiar terrain, etc - and hopefully help her decide on a mega pass for the next season to lower costs.

I thought about the NJ Indoors place, which of course minimizes the travel to the place, but they don't offer a full package, and besides, part of the beauty of skiing is being on the mountain, so I'm afraid that might not be the most enticing experience.

Obviously, at this point, ease of commute, cost and simplicity are much more important than "terrain", since they are not going to be skiing any "terrain" this season.

Any thoughts / pointers appreciated!

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I'm a huge fan of ski butternut in Great Barrington, Mass. They have a fabulous beginner area serviced by 4 carpets and a chairlift. Plus when you are ready for more there's a gradual progression of trails off the main quads to play on.

I also love big snow in jersey, it's my summer get some turns, escape the heat go to place.

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
I’d say Thunder Ridge in Patterson, NY which they could actually take the train to, but… snow. I mean it’s 50 in VT and raining, it likely deluged down there.

Belleyare?
Just don’t go to Big Snow on a Saturday.

TS
Mendieta

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Thank you all, keep'em coming! Yes, Big Snow is the place I was thinking - it might be best for her to use in summer, and yes, I worry about snow, I have a ton of people in the East (mostly non-skiers), and their comment has been "we don't have winters here anymore" ...

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Thank you all, keep'em coming! Yes, Big Snow is the place I was thinking - it might be best for her to use in summer, and yes, I worry about snow, I have a ton of people in the East (mostly non-skiers), and their comment has been "we don't have winters here anymore" ...

Yeah people who say we don't have winters are either non skiers or not die hard skiers. It also matters where you live. We live in the hills in CT near the mass border and it's typically colder and snowier than many coastal places. I've been on snow since 11/3 (Vermont) and I'll go likely until mid may or so. We start and end in VT with our local season only going from midish Dec until early April if a good season

Butternut will only go until April. We're about in March now so I'd say sooner than later for that. The nut is 100% open at the moment. I ski there fairly often as it's my midweek place. Otherwise they'll have to hit upstate NY, Vermont or Maine.

Another gem is Otis Ridge in Otis, Mass but definitely hit there sooner than later.

Definitely big snow in summer. It's quite a lot of fun.

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
I have a ton of people in the East (mostly non-skiers), and their comment has been "we don't have winters here anymore" ...
Yes, it’s sad for the southern places. There used to be Sterling Forest near the city too, which became Tuxedo Ridge. Closed.

I’d really like to see Thunder Ridge (formerly Big Birch years ago) succeed. But, the weather is so bad.

Train to skiing-
——————-
Here’s how it works…visit Metro-North Ticket Office or any full service ticket machine and ask for the Thunder Ski package. This is your discounted combo train and lift ticket. Take the train to the Patterson, NY train station. Our free shuttle picks up at the station on weekends & holiday periods based on the Metro-North train schedule. No need to call, we will be there waiting for you. When traveling on weekdays, call from the train and we’ll send the shuttle to get you! We’re only one mile from the train station so you can enjoy a great day on the snow in no time! We’ll return you to the station when your fun is done and you can have a relaxed ride back on the train to NYC.
——————

There’s also Mt Peter in Orange county. Still about 1 1/4 hours from the city. We get race kids from there early season.

TS
Mendieta

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Butternut will only go until April if a good year. We're about in March now so I'd say sooner than later for that.

Yes - I like their new skier package for 160 bucks, it's a steal - it seems like it includes everything but the boots, Amazing! I'll see what she says but this seems like a great approach, thank you all!

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Yes - I like their new skier package for 160 bucks, it's a steal - it seems like it includes everything but the boots, Amazing! I'll see what she says but this seems like a great approach, thank you all!

Butternut is where I switched from ski blades to longer skis 11 years ago. We used to drive 90 minutes to here. Now we live half an hour away. This place will always hold a special place in my heart. I take a ladies clinic here every Wednesday am. Super fun and chill mountain. Fabulous beginner area.

Plus the town of Great Barrington has so many places to eat. Kind of a foodie paradise. Plus lodging here in winter is cheap. Believe it or not summer is thy pricey time of year up this way.

Loys of very reasonable lodging choices in winter.

Good luck to your friend.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
There's always the Poconos. Pretty easy drive since it's straight out rt.80. Shawnee is the closest, just across the Delaware River. They have a good beginner program and the beginner hill is isolated from the main runs. From there going west you have Camelback, Jack Frost (always one of my favorites), and Big Boulder within another half hour or so. Lots of good hotel and restaurant options these days since that corridor is pretty well developed (until 2022, I lived just a few miles south of there in PA, and am originally from NNJ). Shawnee has a beginner package for $169..rentals, lifts, 1 hour lesson.

jt10000

步步高升
Skier
There's always the Poconos. Pretty easy drive since it's straight out rt.80. Shawnee is the closest, just across the Delaware River. They have a good beginner program and the beginner hill is isolated from the main runs. From there going west you have Camelback, Jack Frost (always one of my favorites), and Big Boulder within another half hour or so. Lots of good hotel and restaurant options these days since that corridor is pretty well developed (until 2022, I lived just a few miles south of there in PA, and am originally from NNJ). Shawnee has a beginner package for $169..rentals, lifts, 1 hour lesson.
One cool thing about the beginner hill at Shawnee is that it has a magic carpet AND a beginner chairlift.

TS
Mendieta

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Shawnee has a beginner package for $169..rentals, lifts, 1 hour lesson.

One cool thing about the beginner hill at Shawnee is that it has a magic carpet AND a beginner chairlift.

Thank you both, this is also very appealing. To me, convenience is key when you are starting. I still remember how overwhelmed you are (where do i get a ski, do you need special shoes? How do you walk with these astronaut boots? Wait, i want bigger ones :D). One stop shop is priceless. Easy, close by, affordable lodging and parking at the place, all these things can mean make or break ...

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
If price is no object then +1 for Big snow. Easy access at the Meadowlands.

For info start here: https://www.bigsnowamericandream.com/beginners-guide/

Then go to set up:

BLiP

Out on the slopes
Skier
Paragon Sports is still doing bus trips from Union Square.
This is a good option, particularly if your friend is in NYC and doesn’t have a car (shocking to some, but many/most people in the city do not have a car). If they can drive, probably better options though, since the bus trips often go to busy locations on busy days, ie not the best conditions for learning.

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Skiing should be about enjoying the mountains in winter not chilling in a big indoor freezer.
Hey... We're up here chillin' in a big outdoor freezer! The only problem is that this year we've had to endure low snow ... okay by our standards NO SNOW and waaay too many Freeze/Thaw cycles! My wish list is an indoor ski area w/ perfect mogul field construction for practice. :beercheer:

jt10000

步步高升
Skier
Skiing should be about enjoying the mountains in winter not chilling in a big indoor freezer.
Sure in the long run, but as a first step to get comfortable enough to not be worried about falling all the time, indoors is really good for newbies. Conditions will be predictable. This place is available all the time. And you can even reach it w/o a car from NYC sometimes.

My boy and I go there off-season too. It's not an replacement - it's a supplement for us (YMMV) and gateway for many.

Last edited:

jt10000

步步高升
Skier
Two other things. The food is terrible at Shawnee. Really bad. I haven't been in a few years, but some friends went recently and report the same. Pack your own if you go. Whereas the mall at Big Snow has multiple food courts with some good stuff. Also restaurants. And an H Mart.

Butternut has typical/decent ski lodge food. Ditto Bellayre IIRC. Camelback too. We pack our own, but sometimes supplement.

Sponsor

Staff online