• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Utah First Trip To Altabird - Looking For Some Advice

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have what seems like a dumb question but I'm going to ask it anyway!

I've been skiing most of my life (age 47) and consider myself a solid advanced eastern skier. I'm heading west for the first time at the end of February. I'll be able to get in 3 1/2 days before I fly home Thursday night. I can't decide how to divide it up between Snowbird and Alta (I'm staying at Goldminer's Daughter).

For a first time western skier do you think I should:

1. Spend most of my time exploring Alta and only 1 day at Snowbird
2. Split it 50/50
3. Skip Snowbird

If I went to Sugarbush and only skied Mt. Ellen before leaving to ski Mad River Glen I'd know that I didn't really get the full Sugarbush experience because "I just had to ski at MRG while I'm here! ". I guess that's what I'm wondering will happen; miss out on a lot of what Alta has to offer by rushing off to Snowbird just to say I did.

Any advice would be appreciated!

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Like @SKI-3PO said, 1 & 1 then decide.
If you still can't figure it out - just get an Alta-Bird pass for the day and ski both.

Last edited:

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Do both! They very different and offer a lot of great terrain!

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
I much prefer Alta but that's just my contrary old school vibe coming out. Snowbird has more, longer and better terrain but a whole different vibe. You can't go wrong at either and they both deserve a day and then decide which you like better. Hoping it dumps all over you because there is nowhere like LCC when it is dumping:thumb:

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
On a side note, Goldminer's Daughter will shuttle you over to Snowbird if you want to start your day there, and they will even come get you at the end of the day if you call them. [At least that was true a few years ago, the last time I stayed there.]

It was not obvious to me that they offered that, but when I asked they said "of course." I guess I am not used to luxury travel.

Teppaz

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Goldminer's Daughter still does that, which is convenient if you have an AltaBird pass. Personally I much prefer the Alta vibe. but with three days I agree you could do one day at each resort, then stay at the one you like best on the third.

TS
TheArchitect

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks for the replies. You're all right, of course. I figured I might be overthinking things. I'm going to ski Alta day 1, Snowbird day 2 and see what happens. In any case, the trip can't come soon enough for me! Can't wait to finally see what all the fuss is about with western skiing and powder ogwink

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
It has been 4 or 5 years since I skied them and never had the reason to try this trick, but a curious mind wants to know.

If you are skiing the Bird and staying at Alta can't just drop over the ridge at the top of Baldy chair back in Mineral Basin and ski down to the base at Alta? You are not using the Alta lifts. That would be a lot more fun than catching a bus back, if Alta will let you.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm heading west for the first time at the end of February.

I was there ten years ago. I think you're asking the wrong question.

At neither area is it easy to figure out where the good lines are. Especially as an easterner who is used to navigating by trail map. I didn't begin to understand how to ski these areas until folks here like @JohnL started to show me. Hire or otherwise obtain a guide for at least half a day. It will save you many wasted hours.

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
Thanks for the replies. You're all right, of course. I figured I might be overthinking things. I'm going to ski Alta day 1, Snowbird day 2 and see what happens. In any case, the trip can't come soon enough for me! Can't wait to finally see what all the fuss is about with western skiing and powder ogwink

as a fellow Eastern skier after skiing Alta I became an "Altaholic" and "HAVE" to go every year since my first visit. Bet you'll be a convert too!

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
It has been 4 or 5 years since I skied them and never had the reason to try this trick, but a curious mind wants to know.

If you are skiing the Bird and staying at Alta can't just drop over the ridge at the top of Baldy chair back in Mineral Basin and ski down to the base at Alta? You are not using the Alta lifts. That would be a lot more fun than catching a bus back, if Alta will let you.

I'm not sure that will work ! Depends on which Alta employee is manning the gate and if you can convince him you're not trying to
ride Alta lifts! ! The Goldminers desk should be able to advise if this will work.
Better chance at end of day but Mineral Basin area closes earlier than rest of the Bird.

To really ski out each place can take a week or more .
Double Blacks at Snowbird are really that and often start with a sign "Caution Cliff Ahead"

My first trip out west, now live here, was a 2 week trip to Jackson Hole/Snowbird (oops my 3 fav ski areas just m
entioned).
Didn't go out in a blaze of glory ! Seeing that you've done MRG and parts of Sugarbush you'll have a great time.

Last edited:
TS
TheArchitect

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I was there ten years ago. I think you're asking the wrong question.

At neither area is it easy to figure out where the good lines are. Especially as an easterner who is used to navigating by trail map. I didn't begin to understand how to ski these areas until folks here like @JohnL started to show me. Hire or otherwise obtain a guide for at least half a day. It will save you many wasted hours.

There's a mountain tour for $85 at Alta that I plan to take. I have the "Powder Hound's Guide to Alta" and the Snowbird version as well . I've been reading them while staring at trail maps and watching videos on YouTube. I think that'll be enough. To be honest, I'm going to be happy skiing most anywhere that doesn't read like your typical eastern trail. I can't wait to ski bowls and open glades.

as a fellow Eastern skier after skiing Alta I became an "Altaholic" and "HAVE" to go every year since my first visit. Bet you'll be a convert too!

That's my plan. Assuming things don't change dramatically in my life I should be able to head out west once a year from now on. Just wish it didn't take so long for the first trip.

I'm not sure that will work ! Depends on which Alta employee is manning the gate and if you can convince him you're not trying to
ride Alta lifts! ! The Goldminers desk should be able to advise if this will work.
Better chance at end of day but Mineral Basin area closes earlier than rest of the Bird.

To really ski out each place can take a week or more .
Double Blacks at Snowbird are really that and often start with a sign "Caution Cliff Ahead"

My first trip out west, now live here, was a 2 week trip to Jackson Hole/Snowbird (oops my 3 fav ski areas just m
entioned).
Didn't go out in a blaze of glory ! Seeing that you've done MRG and parts of Sugarbush you'll have a great time.

I'm planning on buying the AltaBird ticket and will be able to use lifts in both areas on that day. There's a connection at the top of Mineral Basin (Baldy lift). I'll just need to make sure I'm at the connection before MB closes.

MRG, Sugarbush, Stowe and Jay Peak are my favorite places to ski. I've skied most of Sugarbush, actually. I was just making an analogy with that post. ogsmile

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
Check out the resort guides on EpicSki, those are actually a good resource. Check the weather forecast and take proper skis. It's is easy to ski from Bird to Alta, the other way, Keyhole I would not recommend for someone who has never skied out West. Even with bad snow skiing there is awesome. I would try find a local or quasi local skier to show you around. Even asking people on the lift for pointers sometimes works well.

Rainbow Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Make some new friends at GMD over dinner, especially those who are long-time returning guests, and ski with new friends! I'm still learning new trails/entrances and "another long transverse again" after 100+ days there.

Strike up those 3-5 minute chairlift conversations and ask to follow people on trails, has worked for me many times before.

I love Alta, it's truly my favorite ski area. :golfclap:

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
$85 for a guided tour when most resorts offer free tours? I wouldn't do that. Instead, spend the money on renting fat skis if it starts dumping.
Me, I don't bother with guided tours, I just go where my skis are pointed and hope the run leads to a lift.:crash:

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
To be honest, I'm going to be happy skiing most anywhere that doesn't read like your typical eastern trail. I can't wait to ski bowls and open glades.

Yeah, you are definitely going to have fun!

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
$85 for a guided tour when most resorts offer free tours? I wouldn't do that. Instead, spend the money on renting fat skis if it starts dumping.
Me, I don't bother with guided tours, I just go where my skis are pointed and hope the run leads to a lift.

. This strategy may not work so well at an area like Alta-Bird, as your skis may be pointing to a cliff,. Same for following tracks, so I'd much prefer following people...

Sponsor

Staff online

• Philpug
    Notorious P.U.G.
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid