• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Utah First Trip To Altabird - Looking For Some Advice

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Snowbird = Manhattan including the people! LOL The concrete jungle Tram there even reminds me of the NYC subway........... PTSD from growing up in the South Bronx when I go there...... I start shaking and twitching just at the sight of it............the poor don't mix w/ the rich there.......... very marked line in the sand at the Bird.......

Alta = Vermont a la Mt. Ellen (SBush North) or MRG....... a breath of fresh air!

Been to both 10x plus............

No BS...........I go to Alta, I feel like I'm on vacation.......... I go to Snowbird, I get totally stressed out by the ambiance and snooty/haughty people........ TOTALLY diff vibe from Alta......... check it out, you'll see! For real awesome backwoods skiing take a drive to Powder Mtn........ that's our secret stash........ shhhh don't tell anyone.........

Last edited:
TS
TheArchitect

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My favorite place to ski is Sugarbush because of the vibe there so if Alta is anything like that I'm going to love it. That said, I do love me some Stowe 1-2 days a year ogwink

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My favorite place to ski is Sugarbush because of the vibe there so if Alta is anything like that I'm going to love it. That said, I do love me some Stowe 1-2 days a year ogwink
Yes the terrain at Stowe is amazing. I love the terrain there too....... esp places like The Bench, Bruce Trail and Sensation Quad............. The Bird also has nice/amazing terrain........ def worth a day or two of exploration....... and the tunnel through the mtn is mos def worth the price of admission. Kinda surreal actually........... but vibe at Alta is Legendary........ it makes you feel like a part of skiing history! Enjoy!

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Interesting discussion. I love both places, but there is something about Alta, not sure how to put the finger on it. It's not the snowboarding thing, I really don't care one way or the other. Snowbird has spectacular terrain, but to me it just feels like a typical ski resort with spectacular terrain. Alta feels like Alta. :huh:

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
I'm Hoping to take a half day and ski snowbird, last yr we went over from Alta ientered Mineral Bowl and had a snowboarder almost hit me- really! the bowl is huge, I always stay in my lane, ski a groomer wide space lots of turns but he "had" to come almost take me out. We Went to the new restaurant on top, rudely told no trail maps, too many people using the f-bomb. Was not good for me but maybe this year will be better but nice to know Alta is just a ski trail away... Alta vibe to me is more New England old school vibe, all the people I rode w/s on the lifts were helpful w/tips where to find a stash, and staying at the Mt GMD or Alta Lodge is real treat, I met some superb skiers all happy to take us on a guided tour to their favorite spots.

you will have a ball!

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
From a UT perspective - saying a place has a New England vibe is not a good thing.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Lol the restaurant on top stank too much for us to even think of sitting down - and the reek was a very obvious tell that we were going to have an unpleasant time in the restrooms.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Interesting discussion. I love both places, but there is something about Alta, not sure how to put the finger on it. It's not the snowboarding thing, I really don't care one way or the other. Snowbird has spectacular terrain, but to me it just feels like a typical ski resort with spectacular terrain. Alta feels like Alta. :huh:

You really need to elucidate this set of resorts with spectacular terrain that Snowbird is typical of. :)

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
From a UT perspective - saying a place has a New England vibe is not a good thing.
Very true! :beercheer:............ glad I didn't equate UT to New England! ............ I equated Alta to MRG/Mt. Ellen Vermont.........Are you saying Alta is typical of UT as VT is typical of New England?......... that's not a leap I'm willing to jump on board w/ knowing all 4 areas very well! In fact I would deduce that the feel of Alta is more similar to MRG/Mt. Ellen, VT than it is to the rest of UT!

Had to insert an edit here........... UT and VT are both near and dear to my heart and I will continue to live here and visit there regularly............ no dis-respect meant to either place....... really just mean that vibes are very similar between SBush/MRG and Alta and that I've had very similar experiences at both......which is totally Cool! :)......... Didn't mean to diss the Bird so heavily either (it's just not my cup of tea)....... as it is as Sbrown said .......quite spectacular ........ as is Moab, Sundance (both of which I absolutely LOVE), SLC, and many other areas in and around UT ........... so it's all Love as far as I'm concerned! :wave:

Last edited:

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
Sorry I'm old and should have said "old New England style" Alta doesn't seem to age or morph to be glitzy 'modern" style. my bad

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Very true! :beercheer:............ glad I didn't equate UT to New England! ............ I equated Alta to MRG/Mt. Ellen Vermont.........Are you saying Alta is typical of UT as VT is typical of New England?......... that's not a leap I'm willing to jump on board w/ knowing all 4 areas very well! In fact I would deduce that the feel of Alta is more similar to MRG/Mt. Ellen, VT than it is to the rest of UT!

Had to insert an edit here........... UT and VT are both near and dear to my heart and I will continue to live here and visit there regularly............ no dis-respect meant to either place....... really just mean that vibes are very similar between SBush/MRG and Alta and that I've had very similar experiences at both......which is totally Cool! :)......... Didn't mean to diss the Bird so heavily either (it's just not my cup of tea)....... as it is as Sbrown said .......quite spectacular ........ as is Moab, Sundance (both of which I absolutely LOVE), SLC, and many other areas in and around UT ........... so it's all Love as far as I'm concerned! :wave:

Alta is pretty typical of UT ski areas in numerous respects. UT typically gets great snow and It is typical in that it is one of four ski areas in the cotton wood canyons which get the best snow in UT. It is one of two areas that are for skiers only in UT. It is above average in the quality of terrain compared to other UT ski areas. The lifts are above average. The lodges are about average. The food is average etc... Alta in my experience hires many local UT folks to work in customer facing roles and they are always seem to be stoked to be in the mountains.

It is exceptional in that it usually only takes about 40-50" of base to open 90% of the mountain so that early season the skiing is usually as good as it gets in the Wasatch. Alta also has some of the best beginner terrain for learning to ski in UT.

It checks all the boxes for a group of skiers traveling and desiring a very consistent ski experience with low negatives.

Sorry I'm old and should have said "old New England style" Alta doesn't seem to age or morph to be glitzy 'modern" style. my bad

I think I understand what you mean. My first impression of Alta was charming and approachable with friendly people.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
You really need to elucidate this set of resorts with spectacular terrain that Snowbird is typical of. :)

no, not that; try this: Snowbird feels like a typical ski resort that just so happens to have spectacular terrain.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
P.S., my college kid and I will be there for a few days in a week, for a father-son trip, if anyone wants to go for a run or two.

Mothertucker

Sweep Dodger
Skier
Alta feels like church.

TS
TheArchitect

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Question for you guys. I was planning to bring out my FX94's with me. Given how much snow Alta/Bird has received do you think I might be better off renting some wider demo skis instead? Keeping in mind that I've never skied powder so I'll likely need all the help I can get.

Sponsor

Staff online