• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Don't Try This At Home, Horrible Things Actually Taught Somewhere-Rumor or Fact..

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
its to keep people honest...

:P

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I took a lesson once where the instructor kept telling me to "open my ankle." I know now that this is PSIA terminology, but at the time, I had NO idea what she meant. When I asked for clarification she kept repeating "open your ankle!" This was the most frustrating lesson ever. She ended up telling me I "was a tough nut to crack." While I'll admit that that can be true :), it's not the most supportive thing to tell a ski student, either.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I took a lesson once where the instructor kept telling me to "open my ankle." I know now that this is PSIA terminology, but at the time, I had NO idea what she meant. When I asked for clarification she kept repeating "open your ankle!" This was the most frustrating lesson ever. She ended up telling me I "was a tough nut to crack." While I'll admit that that can be true :), it's not the most supportive thing to tell a ski student, either.

Sounds like an instructor with a limited repertoire =/ I really want to teach some day and find out where my "blind spots" are - what I can't describe beyond one set of words. Probably lots.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
But telling someone and working on where things start (bottom of the feet), and there's likely to be a breakthrough... We always have to be careful with babies and bathwater.
:) ... good lord, I can't get rid of the Zanax smiley... :nono:

dammit I'm working on it

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled

I know an instructor that uses the most complicated terms ever to kids way younger than they should ever hear........

telling a 3 year old to superannuate their ankles will not get very much done yes I have heard that and I still do not what that means.... and really do not care to look it up for fear Ill start using terms like that with guest.

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
I know an instructor that uses the most complicated terms ever to kids way younger than they should ever hear........

telling a 3 year old to superannuate their ankles will not get very much done yes I have heard that and I still do not what that means.... and really do not care to look it up for fear Ill start using terms like that with guest.

I suspect that instructor was trying to tell the student to "supinate" their ankles, or roll them outward. It's the opposite of pronate. For runners you can tell the supinators (me) because we wear out the outside edge of the heels of our shoes. I agree, it's stupid terminology to use with anyone, let alone a kid.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
I am certain I saw the instructor on the hill telling the kids that.....

@epic can vouch for the craziness.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I suspect that instructor was trying to tell the student to "supinate" their ankles, or roll them outward. It's the opposite of pronate. For runners you can tell the supinators (me) because we wear out the outside edge of the heels of our shoes. I agree, it's stupid terminology to use with anyone, let alone a kid.

The funny thing about outside edge heel wear - abducted pronators do it too.

Lady_Salina

Out on the slopes
Skier
You obviously have ZERO experience skiing tight, super steep technical lines with high exposure. There are some places where skidding and speed checks are pretty crucial.
Hmm or you miss (not your personally but generally it is not understood) understand the explanation from the CSIA standpoint. Steering and edged ski does not mean it has to be slarved. You can steer an edged ski. Steering is directing the propulsion in the arc at the fall line across the hill so the ski arcs and increases speed or decreases if that is the desired outcome through steering/directing that propulsion where you want the ski to go, not straight down the hill. That guiding the edge completes your last turn and starts your new turn. Hence creating a nice arced and edged, round turn in the size you desire (which could be the size the ski is designed for or larger or smaller. Direct or steer the edged ski, not merely passively riding the edge.

Josh Foster explaining and demonstrating guiding the ski through the turn, different conditions.

And one more that explains and shows it from the CSIA standpoint.

Last edited:
TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Hmm or you miss (not your personally but generally it is not understood) understand the explanation from the CSIA standpoint. Steering and edged ski does not mean it has to be slarved. You can steer an edged ski. Steering is directing the propulsion in the arc at the fall line across the hill so the ski arcs and increases speed or decreases if that is the desired outcome through steering/directing that propulsion where you want the ski to go, not straight down the hill. That guiding the edge completes your last turn and starts your new turn. Hence creating a nice arced and edged, round turn in the size you desire (which could be the size the ski is designed for or larger or smaller. Direct or steer the edged ski, not merely passively riding the edge.

Josh Foster explaining and demonstrating guiding the ski through the turn, different conditions.

Wrong quote? I never mentioned CPSIA or any formal programs.

I do stand by my premise that at beginner level the ability to snowplow is still a critical skill in tight spots, lift corral for example to avoid running up the backs of other people ahead.. And, the hockey stop speed check will always be a critical skill for maneuvering in tight technical likes with high exposure, tight trees, etc. There are quite a few occasions for skiers of all levels to throw at least one ski out or both sideways with total disregard to sidecut driven carving.

That is definitely a DO try this at home skill to be taught to everyone.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Wrong quote? I never mentioned CPSIA or any formal programs.

I do stand by my premise that at beginner level the ability to snowplow is still a critical skill in tight spots, lift corral for example to avoid running up the backs of other people ahead.. And, the hockey stop speed check will always be a critical skill for maneuvering in tight technical likes with high exposure, tight trees, etc. There are quite a few occasions for skiers of all levels to throw at least one ski out or both sideways with total disregard to sidecut driven carving.

That is definitely a DO try this at home skill to be taught to everyone.

So the paradox is how do you make it an instinctively-available emergency move without making it the centerpiece of "everyday" turns.

I'm reminded of a day I skied a side hill off the side of a trail, with powder, but ending in solid wall of brush. I had no idea how I made the turn till I saw the video. Just before the wall, I threw a massive stem, shoving my leg way out so it would clear and putting my ski perpendicular to my direction of travel.

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
So the paradox is how do you make it an instinctively-available emergency move without making it the centerpiece of "everyday" turns.

That's not a problem for those that it is important to. If you want to go faster, especially in the gates.. if you want to ski more efficiently, using less energy... you can take lessons and coaching to improve these efficiencies.

However, those efficiencies are a distant 2nd in importance to the ability to throw a hard shut down should another rider (or other obstacle) appear front of you suddenly and unexpectedly. Instructors that don't teach these tools, and teach them early, are doing their students and everyone else on the mountain that might get slammed a dis service IMHO.

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
However, those efficiencies are a distant 2nd in importance to the ability to throw a hard shut down should another rider (or other obstacle) appear front of you suddenly and unexpectedly. Instructors that don't teach these tools, and teach them early, are doing their students and everyone else on the mountain that might get slammed a dis service IMHO.

Yep, I'd say that if you want to ski with any speed at all, you better learn how to stop quickly...............

Besides, spraying your buddies with snow never gets old....................ogsmile

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Yep, I'd say that if you want to ski with any speed at all, you better learn how to stop quickly...............

Besides, spraying your buddies with snow never gets old....................ogsmile

Kinda frowned upon now because if you hit some ice and fall in the process they can get badly cut when your edges hit them instead of the snow.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Kinda frowned upon now because if you hit some ice and fall in the process they can get badly cut when your edges hit them instead of the snow.

But it can be so entertaining when it goes wrong!:crash:

Many moons ago was a young instructor sent to Rocky MT Instructors Fall clinic by my Director. got put into a group with Roger Staube (the SSD of Vail) and a whole bunch of his entourage. We are all lined up like good little students on the side of a run at Eldora, and it happened. The last member down went to stop on the top of the line and caught an edge; thank God it was not me.

The ensuing carnage was awesome!
A dozen high powered L3's, called full certifieds then, Examiners, Directors in one big pile of legs skis and bodies. Learned some new swear words in a number of different languages that day. Don't do this (unless someone can video it).

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
^^^^Oh ya,I know who paid for the first round that evening.

I still do it sometimes but not around my intermediate kids. Actually we do spray each other at the ice rink, but they're not solid enough on skis to be trying to spray their friends. Way more can go wrong with 160 cm of razor sharp edges heading towards a person than a skate. Only recently did I start hearing about people getting hurt badly when the snow job went terribly wrong. Probably not very often, but easily avoided now that we know it can really wreck someone if failed.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This thread is an interesting read. I'm not sure how I missed it.

Here is how I was taught to ski back in 1984.
After learning how to snowplow on the bunny hill and making progress to the next "big hill" (all relative to a new skier learning in Michigan) I was told -
"Its just like going two tracking. You turn to slow down, don't slow down to turn."

There was so much wrong with the way I was taught to ski initially. When I took my first lesson at an ESA Stowe, I quickly learned that I had a lot of unlearning to do in order to really learn to ski.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
This thread is an interesting read. I'm not sure how I missed it.

Here is how I was taught to ski back in 1984.
After learning how to snowplow on the bunny hill and making progress to the next "big hill" (all relative to a new skier learning in Michigan) I was told -
"Its just like going two tracking. You turn to slow down, don't slow down to turn."

There was so much wrong with the way I was taught to ski initially. When I took my first lesson at an ESA Stowe, I quickly learned that I had a lot of unlearning to do in order to really learn to ski.

What is two tracking?

Sponsor

Staff online