• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Don't Try This At Home, Horrible Things Actually Taught Somewhere-Rumor or Fact..

jimtransition

Out on the slopes
Skier
It's edging. You still need to steer the skis.

Well, you can also steer the skis, but I would say carving is still a very valid way of turning. I have no idea what level this guy was, obviously teaching a beginner to only carve has it's flaws, but I have taught plenty of classes where the main thing I said was 'edge more'.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I think the issue was more in the directions given to result in edge.

Telling someone to "edge more" could result in all sorts of crazy gyrations to attempt to comply.

eok

Slopefossil
Skier
Well, you can also steer the skis, but I would say carving is still a very valid way of turning. I have no idea what level this guy was, obviously teaching a beginner to only carve has it's flaws, but I have taught plenty of classes where the main thing I said was 'edge more'.

Well, yes of course. But the problem I observed was the "student" was taking the instruction extremely literally (skis tipped up almost on their sides while gliding straight) and the "teacher" didn't appear to be giving any correct feedback. I was standing nearby and watched for a few minutes. A few times later on in the day, I'd see the skier on his own (I was riding a lift) still doing the same thing.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
I think the issue was more in the directions given to result in edge.

Telling someone to "edge more" could result in all sorts of crazy gyrations to attempt to comply.

But telling someone and working on where things start (bottom of the feet), and there's likely to be a breakthrough... We always have to be careful with babies and bathwater.
:) ... good lord, I can't get rid of the Zanax smiley... :nono:

ToddW

Outa Here ... No Longer Active on Pugski
Inactive
It's edging. You still need to steer the skis.

Jilly,

Need
is a pretty strong word there. There are plenty of counterexamples to be found in the skiing of good skiers. Steering is unnecessary and often counterproductive in skiing. Some crazy old traditions (like eating lutefisk on holidays or steering skis) just won't die ... sigh.

In fact, I nominate "steer your skis" as a don't try this at home crazy ski instruction thread tip ;-)

Reactions: TPJ

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
Todd, in Jilly's defense, she's using the word as defined by CSIA, and I agreed with her. It's a tactical choice.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
But telling someone and working on where things start (bottom of the feet), and there's likely to be a breakthrough... We always have to be careful with babies and bathwater.
:) ... good lord, I can't get rid of the Zanax smiley... :nono:

Well, yeah, I mean, obviously it wasn't working, or it wouldn't have come up on this thread, right?

:))

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
Well, yeah, I mean, obviously it wasn't working, or it wouldn't have come up on this thread, right?

:)

There's an especially bad way to teach about everything.
:roflmao:

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
In fact, I nominate "steer your skis" as a don't try this at home crazy ski instruction thread tip ;-)

You obviously have ZERO experience skiing tight, super steep technical lines with high exposure. There are some places where skidding and speed checks are pretty crucial.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
You obviously have ZERO experience skiing tight, super steep technical lines with high exposure. There are some places where skidding and speed checks are pretty crucial.
...especially for skiers spending their first day on skis in tight icy chutes!

...or wasn't that what you meant?

ToddW

Outa Here ... No Longer Active on Pugski
Inactive

Since you clearly know me better than I know myself, I'm arranging meetings with all of my financial advisors to turn over routine control and supervision of my assets to you. I'm also adding you to my will.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
ToddW your in the northeast.

How about this, ill give you a stowe pass for the day, and we will ski together, and Ill video and see if you are able to ski all day long with out using steering. If you are not using steetring it should show up clearly in the video.

we will skis all of these runs. I bet you think you can do it on SL skis.....

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Evidently, adjusting ones own ski bindings is on the don't-try-this-at-home list. An instructor once caught me, screwdriver in hand, tweaking my bindings and asked, "Are you qualified to do that, sir?"

Some mountain host tried the same helpful BS on my brother when we were in Whistler. Given he'd nearly had a serious accident because the WB tune shop had helpfully wound his DIN down to lowest setting when he had them in for an overnight wax said patronising mountain host was lucky to only escape after learning some choice Anglo Saxon.

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
...especially for skiers spending their first day on skis in tight icy chutes!

...or wasn't that what you meant?

Oh ya, I bet these "never ever skid" skiers do great negotiating lift corrals on the fly.... right up the back of everyone else's skis..

jimtransition

Out on the slopes
Skier

I think you might have missed the winky face on his post...

Great to see an over enthusiastic Josh video callout, it feels like Epic in 2013

Sponsor