• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Poll Digital promotions on chairlift bars?

Digital displays on safety bars

• Okay

Votes: 8 8.5%
  • Not okay

Votes: 62 66.0%
  • Undecided

Votes: 8 8.5%
  • Doesn't matter

Votes: 10 10.6%
  • I don't lower the bar anyway

Votes: 6 6.4%

• Total voters

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Easy. They suck the life force out of everyone in the cafeterias, and chanel it back to the gondola.

Ha ha.

<rant>
I am getting a bit tired of Vail bashing, though. I'm grateful there are people willing to subsidize my skiing. They are the same people that drop money at my client's businesses. I enjoy skiing the VR areas in my neighborhood. The only thing I buy there, besides a very affordable ski pass, is an occasional beer. And that is worth the gouging.
</rant>

:beercheer:

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
The more that I think about it, the people at Winter Park aren't dumb and I have to assume that they know their customers pretty well. Could it be that there is an age factor involved in this decision? Tech is "cool" after all.

I wonder the same.

Chris Walker

Ullr Is Lord
Skier
If they don't know already, they've already put on their blinders.

Oh, they know. They just don't care. Like they didn't care what we thought about Vintage lot becoming pay parking, lockers going from $2 to $6, buying a hamburger and pop and not getting change back from a twenty, etc. They seem to have made a deliberate calculation that the marginal $$ they can squeeze out of their guests outweighs any bad will on social media or otherwise.

Large Squirrel

a.k.a. guitar73
Skier
They seem to have made a deliberate calculation that the marginal $$ they can squeeze out of their guests outweighs any bad will on social media or otherwise.

can you blame them, though? businesses have to make a buck (profit) somehow in order to stay in business, let alone grow. just sayin'.

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Vail will do this for sure to advertise their $12 slices of pizza.

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
The ones who ride into the unloading platform with the bar down and skis dangling will mostly be teens and younger, I'm sure.

Last edited:

jimmy

Mixmaster
SkiTalk Supporter
@FairToMiddlin, @SkiNurse ... we assume you didn't dunk the triscuits. We tried that last night and it tasted like vomit. Literally.

I actually did have a g-and-t and triscuit dinner the other day. No lie.

Well no, not for dunking the triscuit is not a biscotti. I use raw honey on the triscuit. and @bbinder the triscuit may suck as a cracker but they are an excellent source of fibre :)

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
they are an excellent source of fibre :)

Good source of fiber?

Floor Mat.JPG

Wait, that is a triscuit.

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I do like ski area maps on the bars and don't mind static advertisements on those.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Many safety bars have advertisements on them now, along with trail maps. One of my initial thoughts was that the logistics of a reliable digital screen on a cold moving object may be challenging.
Like a few others have said, I'd be really annoyed if it has sound.
The ones on Comstock (Northstar) are an aerofoil when the wind is Westerly (and it usually is). You have to ride with a hand on the bar to keep it down on windy days or one gust will pop it right up!

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
I look forward to the day when resorts add further tiers of advertising banners to the slow barriers and really screw up traffic flow around lifts. Why not do the right thing and add advertising only in the form of on hill après umbrella bars and Eurocheese music/ brass bands covering heavy metal?

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
The ski areas will like these because they will be like Google Ads and such. The resorts will post them on their digital displays and the advertisers will pay. More revenue for the areas. Or more $12 slices of pizza sold. ;-)

Large Squirrel

a.k.a. guitar73
Skier
Not without talking about politics. :D

my comment was totally not political....purely economical. :ogcool:

Exactly.

Monetising is the way of the western world and its no longer enough to be a customer you have to be a product too.

not exclusively, though. but, modern tech sure does make monetizing a heck of a lot easier.

the great thing about our economy is that we, the consumer, are the driving force. producers won't keep producing stuff we, the consumers, won't buy/accept/use. so, if these digital displays on safety bars flop due to consumer rejection, then we all win our peace and quite in the natures.....which is what most of us who ski want anynow, right??

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It appears the poll numbers are speaking volumes. So this means we have to burn down any lifts that get this digital promotion stuff.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January