• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Poll Digital promotions on chairlift bars?

Digital displays on safety bars

• Okay

Votes: 8 8.5%
  • Not okay

Votes: 62 66.0%
  • Undecided

Votes: 8 8.5%
  • Doesn't matter

Votes: 10 10.6%
  • I don't lower the bar anyway

Votes: 6 6.4%

• Total voters

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
NO! I must agree with just about every orther point against. I do like the trail map displays at large resorts. Without my readers, I can't read the pocket trail maps so it's nice to orient myself on the way up the lift. But a digital display would be hard to ignore. If I'm in a bar that has a TV turned on, I constantly find my eyes turning that direction- whether I'm interested or not. I don't want electronics on the lift. Period.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
-

@neonorchid when this does take off, I hope it's done well enough to actually help you with navigation.
...and as I said, there is a right way and a wrong way of doing it. Clearly, the demo video leaves much to be desired and I'd wager it'll surely be done all wrong! Still, a saftey bar sits low enough for a screen to easily be ignored.
It most definitely should have raise bar prepare to unload with auto shut off well before the bull wheel!
I don't really need it to navigate the mountain, getting lost is a huge part of the fun. However I could see it helping with finding friends, family, children etc., ... then again maybe not so much that cell phone service is often spotty and using web based social media to communicate with one another is a pita.
Again, I won't lose sleep over it not happening but like to think I'm imaginative enough to see how it could be an asset if done properly - assuming it'll even function correct > 50% of the time n an alpine environment!

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Do I see Triscuits being added to our next ski house shopping list?
Not if you want me to come visit -- the triscuit cracker is an abomination

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Those Ski Patrol alerts could screw up our chances of hitting fresh powder if everyone simultaneously found out the lifts on wind hold or avi control hold to X,Y&Z peak have just opened!

...just changed my vote from OK to Undecided.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
I think it's going to be very interesting when hackers switch those displays over to "adult" entertainment...:roflmao:

Snuckerpooks

Getting on the lift
Skier
Could care less. I understand that places need money. I'll probably take a glance at it, if it's a product I like. Maybe I'll watch it. But unless it's amazing, I'll only watch it one time. After that, my eyes and attention are elsewhere.

If there is sound, there better be a way to shut it up fast. If it's loud, annoying, and in your face all the time, I'd buy tickets somewhere else. I won't break it, just not give my dollar to a place that uses it. Money talks.

steve pickard

Putting on skis
Skier
No! There are some of the best vistas in the world when riding a chair and sometimes watching a good skier and studying their technique are much better choices.
A couple of years ago I suggested to my local area they could install some sort of message board at the lift line that could be programmed with informational announcements such as The skier responsibility code, or specials at lodge or ski shop or a lost child, lift openings or closures or anything that would be helpful. I really think that the majority of skiers and boarders have know idea what the skiers responsibility code is.

Scotty I.

I only care about the graphics
Skier
If Winter Park has someone monitoring this thread, I think they'll be having an emergency marketing meeting tomorrow.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I cannot envision these things lasting through the first season. First of all, they will be vandalized. Then you've got stickers. Then frigid weather and precipitation. Then the bar going up and down. I hope the guy with the idea is giving the resorts a free trial period. Because I think it's the dumbest idea I've ever heard.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
More work for the fifties scraping off the "F U I won't do what you tell me" stickers.

Does anyone actually take in chairlift ads anyway? I could tell you vaguely they might be advertising SUVs, mutual funds or yoghurt but would have zero brand recollection.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I can just see someone getting engrossed in the screen and riding around the bull wheel with the bar down.
I also called that out earlier in the thread. Resort will get sued if they get hurt because of it.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
If Winter Park has someone monitoring this thread, I think they'll be having an emergency marketing meeting tomorrow.

If they don't know already, they've already put on their blinders.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
At Tremblant we have 2 or 3 smaller static holders that ads are placed on the safety bars. The ads always seem to get "picked" off. So you're left with a black piece of plastic. At our local bump the ads are placed on the back of the chairs. But that's for sponsorship as it's a non-profit and they are large.

I just don't think that this will work, especially in the eastern larger resorts. And personally that bars with the resort maps, like Sugarloaf, are waaaay too heavy get back up.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
It is not the hardware here that is going to be a cost but how will the information get to the display, wi-fi? Will there be a removable drive that will contain the ads? What about power, will chairs need to be wired? Will these be battery powered? What about vandalism, these will get vandalized..if not stolen. I just think this is not a good idea on so many levels.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
It is not the hardware here that is going to be a cost but how will the information get to the display, wi-fi? Will there be a removable drive that will contain the ads? What about power, will chairs need to be wired? Will these be battery powered? What about vandalism, these will get vandalized..if not stolen. I just think this is not a good idea on so many levels.

Which begs the question: how does Vail operate their gondola one's heaters and wi-fi?

Scotty I.

I only care about the graphics
Skier
If they don't know already, they've already put on their blinders.

The more that I think about it, the people at Winter Park aren't dumb and I have to assume that they know their customers pretty well. Could it be that there is an age factor involved in this decision? Tech is "cool" after all.

Sponsor

Staff online