• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Could our regional accents be disappearing?

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
"Termination dust", I never want to lose this one. Straight out of Alaska.
th.jpg

Reactions: mdf
TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
"Soda," I get. "Pop," sure. Calling every soft drink "Coke?" That's a regional difference too far.
There's another regional thing. Vernors.
When I was growing up when we asked for Vernors, we got ginger-ale which was often disappointing.
Later in my teen years and older, if you wanted Vernors you asked for it by name and the waiter would say something like, "We don't have Vernors but we have ginger-ale." I learned the distinction early on to ask for Vernors specifically or Canad Dry, or Schwepps, or...
FWIW, its not easy to find Vernors out here. When I do, its pricey. :(
68082813099__EE7D8713-94A7-48D3-B40B-E68DBFD5183F.fullsizerender.jpeg

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Note, they are all hand made signs.
Because people in these regions know how to spell and are willing to work for the cause.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Image.jpeg

[doubling down]Even Vernor's calls it soda.[/doubling down] :dig:

This isn't a Hellmans/Best Mayonnaise thing where north of the Chicago Miracle Mile thing Soda is called Pop is it? Asking for a friend.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Vernors can cure any ailment. Upset stomach? Have some Vernors. Headache? Vernors. Cold or flu? One can of Vernors every two hours.
When my head is congested I like to heat up Vernors in the microwave, (but not in its original can) and drink it hot. You'd be surprised how nicely it opens up the breathing

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, if all one has is a baggle for breakfast...one can hardly get past the foyé for hunger. ;)

*debates calling in @Tony S on whether plastic can really make a jar*
I'd probably have more to say about the mysterious substance inside.

In any case I am not from an authentic Italian American family. I mean, I am, but we didn't fit many of the stereotypes. My dad made sure of that. So if you want someone to comment on Prince Spaghetti Day I'm not your guy.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Interesting idea...but one that is specifically wrong AFAIC. If anything, the southern accent (at least the over-done, exaggerated, and corporatized southern accent) is one of the only regional accents to persist. Just listen to country music -- currently one of the most popular commercial music genres. Every country singer - even those born in the north (looking at you, Clint Black and Jo Dee Messina) or even in another country (Keith Urban) -- somehow feel the need to sound like they were born somewhere south of the Mason Dixon line and deep in the boonies.

I actually like some country music...but can't abide the over-the-top southern accents most singers put on.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I saw a play in London’s West End years ago. It was called The Foreigner and it takes place in Deep South Georgia. (See it if you get a chance… super funny!) The actors had very authentic Deep South accent, but the woman behind me was most annoying as she complained constantly that the actors had terrible American accents. At intermission, I was fed up and in my best theater version of the standard American accent, I informed her of her mistake. Yes, there is such a thing as standard American and they teach it in broadcasting and theater classes. It’s why news anchors sound the same regardless of the area from which they hail.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'd probably have more to say about the mysterious substance inside.

In any case I am not from an authentic Italian American family. I mean, I am, but we didn't fit many of the stereotypes. My dad made sure of that. So if you want someone to comment on Prince Spaghetti Day I'm not your guy.
As you may expect, in a house of Pugliese, we only have home made sauce.
Jars and plastic bottles are not acceptable.
I had no idea before I lived with Phil but I am totally on board since enjoying his home made sauce.
(*this is why I forgive him of his soda vs pop issues)

Last edited:

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
"Soda," I get. "Pop," sure. Calling every soft drink "Coke?" That's a regional difference too far.
there was (maybe still is) a part of Sommerville that called it all 'pepsi'!
This isn't a Hellmans/Best Mayonnaise thing where north of the Chicago Miracle Mile thing Soda is called Pop is it? Asking for a friend.
I don't know where the line is, but Ohio is in the "pop" zone.
Of course, the correct Boston-area answer is "tonic."

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
There's another regional thing. Vernors.
When I was growing up when we asked for Vernors, we got ginger-ale which was often disappointing.
Later in my teen years and older, if you wanted Vernors you asked for it by name and the waiter would say something like, "We don't have Vernors but we have ginger-ale." I learned the distinction early on to ask for Vernors specifically or Canad Dry, or Schwepps, or...
FWIW, its not easy to find Vernors out here. When I do, its pricey. :(
View attachment 212413
We ask the grocer special order it here. Vernon's that is, not pop.

Sponsor