• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Could our regional accents be disappearing?

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
A study from Georgia tracking the southern drawl, y'all, says that accents, dialects and the like are disappearing as more of us are moving around the country.

Lets face it, even @Philpug and I have lost some of our unique accents from his Philly guy uniqueness to my norhtern Michigan dialect, eh?

Most notably, while we were visiting the UP of Michihgan and spent time with @Justin Koski and his family, it was clear that their parents have a much deeper northern Michigan accent than they do, and their children have even less of an accent, dontcha know.

So, here is just one of the stories about this topic.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Well the American West beyond cowboy country has already proven that to some extent. High migration both domestic and international has made accents along the West coast barely disinguishable at least to my ear. OK you get stuff like "valley girl" vocal fry etc and vocab stylings.

The more kids are exposed to the same stuff on youtube/tiktok etc the more they are likely to homogenise. The more time they spend in more isloated tribes the longer local accents will persist. I definitely miss some of the distinction here as people move around more . I was born and raised somewhere where accents could be very different within 10 miles my football team was Liverpool, my rugby Wigan, Very very different accents almost not of the same planet.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Interesting. I had heard just a few years ago that no one was moving. Maybe that changed recently?

Alternatively, USAian accents are a lot less embedded, and significantly less robust, than regionalisms with high population density such as @fatbob cites. So that only the few that do move (combined with TV and Internet exposure) are enough to endanger the accent. Because the accents and dialects simply don't have as many speakers.

If this alternative is correct, NY accent and dialect (notice 8 mile average on the map you cite) will be significantly more robust per arriving migrant than Rockies/West Coast accent and dialect. I do observe that it's easy to find Transantlantic and RP characteristics in LA, for example.

Shawn

Beep beep
Skier
I was raised to speak without the local Scranton accent. "I seen ayggs on sale at da ack-a-mee" would have gotten me a swift correction.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I seem to regress to my hillbilly accent when I'm with other hillbillies. But many years in university and with in the big city has mostly corrected that.. is corrected the right word?? Hmmm.. :ogbiggrin:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Lets face it, even @Philpug and I have lost some of our unique accents from his Philly guy uniqueness to my norhtern Michigan dialect, eh?
Not shoe-ah what youz are sayin', I still tawk fine.

For me, I don't care how youz say it but itz soda ... not "pop".

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Noticing fewer people using regional colloquialisms as well. The smaller and more isolated the community the more you hear them, but even there you don't hear them as much. "By darn!"

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
I lived all over the US as a kid and I can pick up any accent pretty quickly. I’ve lived in Upstate NY for 50 years but I’m still leaning into my Lawn Guyland accent just because I can.

dm

Last edited:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I seem to regress to my hillbilly accent when I'm with other hillbillies. But many years in university and with in the big city has mostly corrected that.. is corrected the right word?? Hmmm.. :ogbiggrin:

Mine is still ... topical. Can't talk about fish, boats or stills without everyone knowing within 20km (and which generation I am because the words have changed since).

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Mine is still ... topical. Can't talk about fish, boats or stills without everyone knowing within 20km (and which generation I am because the words have changed since).
You're the immigrant island. Italians here speak dialects that don't even exist in Italy anymore.. molisano for instance..

Shawn

Beep beep
Skier
You're the immigrant island. Italians here speak dialects that don't even exist in Italy anymore.. molisano for instance..
e5413e90-8a6d-4e85-91ab-2d10a40fedef_text.gif

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Not shoe-ah what youz are sayin', I still tawk fine.

For me, I don't care how youz say it but itz soda ... not "pop".
Photographic evidence to back me up.

IMG_0600.JPG
IMG_0275.JPG

And this was one well marked POP machine!
IMG_2759.jpeg
IMG_2758.jpeg
IMG_2757.jpeg

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Sponsor

Staff online