• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Could our regional accents be disappearing?

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Interesting idea...but one that is specifically wrong AFAIC. If anything, the southern accent (at least the over-done, exaggerated, and corporatized southern accent) is one of the only regional accents to persist. Just listen to country music -- currently one of the most popular commercial music genres. Every country singer - even those born in the north (looking at you, Clint Black and Jo Dee Messina) or even in another country (Keith Urban) -- somehow feel the need to sound like they were born somewhere south of the Mason Dixon line and deep in the boonies.

I actually like some country music...but can't abide the over-the-top southern accents most singers put on.
Carpet baggers, the lot!

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Interesting idea...but one that is specifically wrong AFAIC. If anything, the southern accent (at least the over-done, exaggerated, and corporatized southern accent) is one of the only regional accents to persist. Just listen to country music -- currently one of the most popular commercial music genres. Every country singer - even those born in the north (looking at you, Clint Black and Jo Dee Messina) or even in another country (Keith Urban) -- somehow feel the need to sound like they were born somewhere south of the Mason Dixon line and deep in the boonies.

I actually like some country music...but can't abide the over-the-top southern accents most singers put on.
Modern country music is pop with a drawl. It bares little resemblance to classic country, IMO.

tromano

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Definately in on making redsauce at home. Been cooking up a batch a week since our tomatoes started going off. That said, the only thing Italian about, me is the name.

tromano

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Living in the land of zion, there are both words and word usage that are a little different here. In most Utah names the vowels generally say their name as in Pro-voh.

So Manti is pronounced man-tie.

Nephi is knee-ph-eye

Tooele is too-el-uh, that's a weird one.

And it's pronounced Al-Tah, not All-Ta.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
I moved to the Boston area 20+ years ago now... a "real" Boston accent (pahk yaw cah in Hahvahd Yahd) is something that I hear only occasionally. It's certainly not as a prevalent as I thought it would be. Even people who lived their entire lives here in the Boston area don't necessarily speak that way. (Note: I've heard Southie is replete with Bawstin accents. I'm more in metro-west).

I do hear the various Boston phrases constantly -- wicked pissa, packie stores, frappes, jimmies, etc.

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
Utah names are different. Weber is WEEBer, Buchanan is BUCK-anan, and LaVerne is a man's name. Any man's name can have La in front of it: LaDonald, LaWilbur...

dm

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Funny because I feel like I say it Al-Tah, but in review videos I've been corrected by people in the comment section more than once when talking about how a ski performed when I skied it at Alta.
I guess I still have some Northern Michigan accent that it comes out differently than how I think I'm saying it.

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
When we moved from NY to SLC, I was in Cosgriff for grammar school for a few years. One day we were studying state capitals, and Sister Kathleen told us the capital of NY was Albany, which she pronounced like "Al Bundy." SO I though I'd be helpful and told her it was pronounced "ALL-bany." Her answer was "NOT IN THIS ROOM IT'S NOT."

Years later my cousin moved from San Diego to the Bronx and she told me the opposite thing happened to her.. She helped a nun by telling her La Jolla was pronounced "La Hoya." I'm sure it ended as well for her.

dm

Sponsor