• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Boutique 88mm width skis

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
One cm narrower, but could still be a great all mountain ski for some skiers.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Don't be afraid! So capable and at a price point that doesn't make your eyes water too badly.
Nah, but thanks!
I do this for good reason, and it ain't fear. :ogbiggrin:
(Gad, some skis just tempt me too. The Augments, and others - sheesh.)

Still, there"s been just one unheard of brand after another heavily pushed/reviewed
enthusiastically hither and yon, and here on skitalk; and most of them turn out to be just
distractions, for me - sort of "meh" skis, or skis for other sorts of skiers.

Lustis, for example, have not gotten favorable reactions from the folks
I tend to listen to most. Same with a succession of others skis and brands.
And most of the brands and skis I get to demo, turn out to be a bust - for myself.

So I've learned to ignore lots of brands, to keep good track of others.
There are so many skis, so little time, and so many new skis,
way more than I can or want to keep track of, or demo, and skis are so expensive.

If a ski or brand shines at a demo, on the other hand, I pay attention thereafter.
I've pretty much demoed 30 to 45 skis every year for some decades, until this past year;
so I've got enough skis on my plate, so to speak - as the poor folks here on skitalk
can probably attest to. :)

This has also been true for many newly introduced brands over the years.
I usually wait until some people in one of the shops I hang out at recommend them strongly,
as something that shines for them - or until I get to demo them.

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
How about:

salvatore

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Bad news, Marshall is taking preorders again on the RC85... Decisions will need to be made.
Yeah, tell me about it. I keep trying to convince myself that I can make the 183 cm work. Or maybe, rather, I'm trying to talk myself into how it can't work.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Bad news, Marshall is taking preorders again on the RC85... Decisions will need to be made.

Luckily for me, while I'm still skiing with enthusiasm for another week and a half, my purchasing focus has turned to mtb!

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier

88mm in 178cm

1711481744819.png

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I adore my stormrider 85 motions, have 2 pair of them. Picked up a pair of Mindbender 88ti's which I'm excited to try. I love my Renoun Z90s. Plan to pick ujp a pair of Endurance 88s. I also have a pair of Meier Quickdraws that are 88 ujnderfoot and a dream to ski, they are a quick pivoting ski that's a ton of fun in soft snow and hard pack alike, holds a great edge.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Here's something interesting - an 88mm sort-of-FR-shaped chubcarver - that comes in 173cm only AFAICT.

I mean ... it's like a reinterpretation of a Volkl RTM or what?

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I got a pair of Endurance 88s this season. They are a little short -- but I knew that going in. I wanted a pair of skinny maneuverable off-piste skis. And I wanted another pair of Renouns for my knees. I had Kästle FX85s, which I bought like 5 times and sold 5 times. (Not even kidding. Much.) I keep wanting a ski like this and then I keep deciding I'm not skiing it enough. Keep trying.

So I got some early season, and mostly loved them, but I really wished they were 174 rather than 170. But I kept telling myself to stop being a little bitch and figure it out. Short skis, fore-aft, etc. After a bit of boot work, finally getting me back in decent alignment? I think? I had the best day on them couple days back. I thought I would be sending them back, but now I think I am pretty happy. Also, might end up like my FX85s.

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Here's something interesting - an 88mm sort-of-FR-shaped chubcarver - that comes in 173cm only AFAICT.

I mean ... it's like a reinterpretation of a Volkl RTM or what?
Cork tips?!?!?
Seems ...... un-european.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Reading the reviews here, I can see how you could reach that conclusion. Of four similar skis in my house: the Q9.8, RC One 82 GT, Heritage R87, and AM88(c); the Augment is by far the softest.
Sure. And a Scotch Bonnet is not as hot as a Ghost or Scorpion.

Wade

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
How about:

I have these in 187cm in the Glory Dazed top sheets. They look fantastic with raw Pivots and they’re a really fun ski.

They carve well for a 93mm ski, they’re heavy and damp, stable in crud, and have relatively deep but low-ish rise rocker lines that make them pretty chuckable and quick off piste when you want them to be.

I bought them because I wanted something similar to my CT 1.0s, but thought I’d like them more with a longer, lower rise rocker. That’s exactly what the Fast Forwards turned out to be. I’m really happy with them.

Last edited:

salvatore

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Luckily for me, while I'm still skiing with enthusiasm for another week and a half, my purchasing focus has turned to mtb!
But these are PREORDERS. You have to think ahead, man! Order them now, forget that you did, and come next fall a wonderful surprise will arrive on your doorstep!

Sponsor

Staff online