• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Bode Sues Head

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
SANTA CATERINA VALFURVA, Italy (AP) — Bode Miller is still planning on racing again. Just probably not this season.

U.S. Ski Team head coach Sasha Rearick said that Miller told him he no longer plans on coming over to Europe for training in January.

"He sent me a text. He said, 'Count me in coach in the future. I'm coming back. Just things are not looking good for me to travel this January,'" Rearick told The Associated Press on Thursday at a World Cup combined race.

Earlier this month, a lawsuit Miller had filed against his former sponsor and ski manufacturer Head was dismissed.

Miller ended his nearly 10-year partnership with Head in 2015 and signed an agreement not to use other skis in World Cup or world championship races for two years.

Miller was attempting to get out of the remainder of the deal so that he could race on skis by New York-based Bomber, which he helped develop.

However, Miller would be free to race on Bomber next season and at the 2018 Pyeongchang Olympics, when he'll be 40.

If that's the plan, Rearick wants Miller to start training immediately — even if he can't race due to the contract issues.

"I hope he comes back and I hope we get a full prep period in. That's what is going to be key," Rearick said. "If we decide to do this, let's go full at it. Let's not just do one camp here and Colorado. Let's go at it full and let's start now. Those are going to me my conversations that I have with him next week."

Miller has not raced since severing his right hamstring tendon in February 2015 and did not show much speed during a brief training camp at Copper Mountain in Colorado last month, trailing several teammates.

There were questions in Colorado not only over Miller's physical form but also his equipment, which is unproven on the World Cup circuit.

Is the equipment good enough for Miller to succeed on?

"Why not? It's Bode Miller," Rearick said.

Head racing director Rainer Salzgeber said there is a standing offer for Miller to race on Head as soon as he wants.

"We would welcome him back but I don't expect that he wants to call us because it's not a matter of real competitive skiing, otherwise he would need to be really prepared," Salzgeber said.

Chris Krause, Miller's ski technician, also left Head for Bomber.

"That's why it would be quite easy to get him back on our stuff, because we would support him with the staff and Chris could tune the skis — everything's easy," Salzgeber said, adding that Miller's old skis are still stored in Head's warehouse in Austria.

Rearick also believes Miller could add to his haul of six Olympic medals in Pyeongchang.

"Bode is going to do something. But first he's going to have to qualify for the Olympics," the coach said. "We have a strong team in downhill. But I expect Bode to come out here and work hard and charge and bring the love of the sport to the team.

"There's no doubt that Bode loves the sport more than most people and he loves going out there and competing and expressing himself on snow and that's what I expect him to do, whether he's 40, 41 or like he did when he was 24

I don't know whether to laugh or cry. I had to give this a day before posting. I am amazed that Sasha is playing this game, at least in the press. He is normally not that chatty.

Particularly the quip about the skis. "Why not? It's Bode Miller!" I don't think that is the universal USST opinion. Or anybody....but why even comment on the skis? I don't get it.

Things are not looking good for him to travel this January? Really? Does that even make sense? And he was going to train mid-season for what purpose? With which group? Just pop in mid season? When the team Bode spin was that he planned to come back, they put out the talk of mid-January. Like he would then just drive to Kitz! Sure. Blows my mind that the team would have let him jump in at this point.

I do not buy a single bit of this. First of all there are no real "training blocks" in the season. A bit of tweaking here and there. A few days. So when does Sasha want Bode back? Has he checked with his head speed coach, and/or what is the coaching plan? What does "back" mean? I think he is going to lay out the exact program that the other guys are on, beginning at the end of the season, and I can't for a second see Bode agree. Too much time. Too much commitment. It almost sounds like he plans to lay out expectations starting soon. Good luck with that.

I think this is about outlining what he needs to start doing now if he contemplates trying next season. And being serioys, and cutting no slack. It's a full time job for the others. Can it be for Bode these days? Doubt it. Is it time to move on, or not? Bode has steadfastly refused to be clear on that. Drives some people upnthe wall.

This could get ugly, as Bode is very likely not going to commit to training like Sasha describes. Sasha knows full well that Bode at 40, with this much time off, is not going to be competitive, despite the quotes. Or maybe he and Bode are two of a small handful who think it could happen. I bet on the former. And the comments about the skis? Read Salzgeber's comments. If this were about competing, he would be back on his Head skis. Interesting that his speed skis have not been passed on. I wonder if they have pulled them out for Jansrud to test. Or ski. The skis are, along with Svindal's, the fastest on tour. Odd that they are holding them, IMO. Has to do with the willingness to take him back and the agreement, I assume.

Articles like this add to the carnival. Let's look at the results and injuries in recent years....other than Sochi for Bode, and let's be objective about this. Bode is cooked. Sasha is saying that they have a good young speed group, and Bode would need to qualify for all of his starts. They control all WC entries. I guess Sasha is drawing a line in the public sand. Come back ok the same terms as everybody else, or be done.

Perhaps those advising the USST are of the opinion that Bode still has significant marketing value. Big personality, most Olympic medals, it might help. Or that severing ties is not good PR. He has more name recognition than any male US skier. I assume more than Ligety. Nobody else is close.

My hunch is that this lets them "agree to disagree" on Sasha's plan. They will quietly cut/retire him by not renominating him, and try to convince him to let them honor him at World Cup Finals in Aspen....and maybe at US Nationals as well. He would need convincing to be honored. Might be good press for Bomber?

Or, Bode strings it along until the early summer, and then tells us that he has too many other things going on in his life....and once again blames Head.

If Bode and Bomber want to push this BS that Head is scared, and that the skis are great, they can do that. Is there any other skier at any decent level on the skis? That's my first question. Pay one of the young guys $35K and get him on the skis. And pay the team pool fee. And if the skis are good...the results should be there. If the skis are better than what else is out there, results will proved it. There is ZERO to suggest, let alone "prove" a thing.

Chris Krause "working for Bomber" is news, and I doubt if it is as alluded to. He was working to try to get skis "right" for Bode in the summer, and early fall. Numerous sightings. I would be amazed if it's more than some contract work. Maybe Bomber has the resources to have him on the payroll?
But, yeah, he could be back tuning Bode's Head skis. If it was just about winning.

And since Bomber is a ski company, nobody even mentions his boot dilemma. One of our Puggers has a bit of insight, and it seems like Bode has been through at least four other boots companies, so far. That is another topic. It took Head a LONG time to custom build his boots and get them right. Just like the effort that went into his skis. Time and money! Lots of both.

I know that folks think this is all an easy fix. Nobody who is really familiar with WC speed skiing thinks it is. And nobody wants to see Bode embarrassed by this. He's a proud guy. So.....most think it is over. Or hope so. Seeing an out of shape Bode skiing slowly will be cruel.

Don't bet on Sasha R sticking around after 2018. Think he will be looking for a change. Then the serious rebuilding starts. And there is plenty of it. Great young skiers. Patience will be key, and probably managing careers differently than in the past. A long way back for the USST.

I might be underestimating any economic value that they think Bode brings to the table. Perhaps it is significant. They surely need the funds!

Wish Bode the best! He sure brought a ton to the sport!

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
Regarding the question: who else is on Bomber?
image.jpg

Muleski

Inactive
A sighting! Nice. At first I thought that was an older pre-Bode ski, but it's a current one.
If she paid for those, she's in rare company, I hear!

I am hearing that they may actually be selling some skis in Europe.

Is there a shop in Stowe {or in VT} that sells them?

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
She didn't pay for those. Do you recognize her? Hint: Olympic Gold Medal, 40-something WC wins.

No shops in Stowe selling them this year, though a few have over the last few years.

Muleski

Inactive
I do. DW. I am showing my very strong alpine ski bias, though. I just got home and was chuckling thinking "you dope.....there is more to WC and Olympic skiing than just Alpine!" I'm thinking 40+ alpine wins! Haha. Then I got it. Does she still spend a lot of time at Killington, or Stowe? Bomber, huh?
I wonder in Giradelli was on his Bombers at Zagreb? He was in his Dodge boots. 50th Anniv of the Alpine WC.

Last edited:

Muleski

Inactive
As I recall 5-6 or so seasons ago, when Bomber first appeared on the scene as a ski brand {before the latest owners and a lot of changes} Stowe was kind of a hot bed for them. Wasn't it? They tried hard to get the ski under a number of folks' boots. New challenges now. I wonder if she has any affiliation? Must. She could get her "stuff" from anybody, I presume.
Cool pic.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I do. DW. I am showing my very strong alpine ski bias, though. I just got home and was chuckling thinking "you dope.....there is more to WC and Olympic skiing than just Alpine!" I'm thinking 40+ alpine wins! Haha. Then I got it. Does she still spend a lot of time at Killington, or Stowe? Bomber, huh?
I wonder in Giradelli was on his Bombers at Zagreb? He was in his Dodge boots. 50th Anniv of the Alpine WC.

Thanks for pointing out the 50th anniversary of the first World Cup. It was J.C. Killy winner for the men and Nancy Greene winner for the women in 1967. Nancy is Director of Skiing at my home mountain, Sun Peaks, so I will have to reminder her of 50 years ago the next time I see her.

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
As I recall 5-6 or so seasons ago, when Bomber first appeared on the scene as a ski brand {before the latest owners and a lot of changes} Stowe was kind of a hot bed for them. Wasn't it? They tried hard to get the ski under a number of folks' boots. New challenges now. I wonder if she has any affiliation? Must. She could get her "stuff" from anybody, I presume.
Cool pic.

The former owner spent a lot of time in Stowe. It definitely seemed like Bomber central for a while, and you do see some around. As for Donna, she is between sponsors and was handed a pair of Bombers. She was with RAMP until it imploded. Pretty interesting story of how RAMP went down. Anyway, no need to derail the Bode thread too far.

James

Out There
Instructor
Donna taught women's mogul camps and weekends at Killington. Not sure if she's doing it this year.
Maybe some of her clientele cares she's on Bomber. That's about it. We know Josh wouldn't....

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
Her take on that (she is still doing the camps) was something to the effect of - what good is representing those skis if none of her clientele can or would buy the skis she is on?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
It appears Bomber will have a booth at SIA, we will stop by.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer

Muleski

Inactive
I would HOPE that Bomber would be at SIA. Here's a question. SIA to me sort of implies that they have some type of plan to actually distribute through retailers.....or is that off base?

BTW, a friend mentioned last night that we are seeing a lot of former Head athletes in their advertising and media. As well as Klammer. Bode was/is as big a name as any of them on a global stage.

Hope this somehow works for him. He left a lot of money on the table. He probably did with Kjus, as well.

The feedback on the ski performance will be interesting to hear about. There are so many really great skis being made these days. The handful of people who I am friendly with who have skied them over the past couple of seasons were not blown away. Let's say it's not a reception like Renoun.

Back in 2011, I think, my son was begged to try some of their race skis. This was in the summer. Not good. Didn't like how they skied, and dog slow on the clock. This was not a one day trial.

Hopefully they new stuff is much better. My sources from CO say nope. The direct comment was that they could not imagine any skier not buying something like a Kastle or Stockli instead.

Bode must have actually invested some money in this deal. That is my guess. Seems like "everybody" is silent in that.

Will be interesting to learn more from SIA.

bmlvail

Booting up
Industry Insider
@bmlvail is tagged there, that you Barry?

Hah yes.... Bode is funny- he could certainly ski on Head if he chose to- but he chose not to. He got his lawsuit against Head tossed out and only wants to ski on Bomber, again his choice. Now he is a part owner of Aztech skiwear so next year when he can ski on Bomber will he protest about wearing Spyder?

TS
4ster

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Great to have Bode as a commentator at the World Champs, still doing a great job at it! Honest, to the point & with a sense of humor.
No mention of Bomber skis so far, not that I would expect it.
I'm pretty sure I am seeing Stockli as the POV skis during foreruns. Wonder who's doing the skiing?

Sponsor

Staff online