• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Bode Sues Head

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
How many high end boutique customers are even aware that this is going on, though?

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Mulesli, lots of good points and for the most part i would concur. However wrt the USST, I take a slightly different perspective. While from a training/operational POV I am sure the training staff are not exactly over the moon about Bode doing "drop-ins" but I would not be in the slightest bit surprised if Tiger and Co are actually quite happy about it. Let's be honest, outside the race crowd like ourselves, the rest of the current teams (M&W) are pretty much unknowns to the GP. They do however know of Bode and LV, not necessarily purely as a result of their skiing prowess, but they realize they are ski racers and keep ski racing to some extent in the public eye. Even MS, while seen by many as a sort of phenom/next rising star, is pretty much an unknown to the GP and waaaay too squeaky clean to be of much interest. And Ganong and Nyman again are a long way from being household names. So, if I was Tiger, I might even be encouraging Bode to keep his profile out there, in the same way as LV tweets out on race day to stay in the public eye. This is a critical period in generating sponsors and funding for 18 Olympic year, so you need names with a higher profile to keep interest alive, even if they are not actually racing

Could be, but.not what I think is the case specific to Bode. Again, my opinion based on some conversation.

I agree, 100%, that the USST/USSA is facing a big challenge in terms of their funding. Evidently, despite the weather, there is optimism that the races at Killington are going to help drive some results. I know that it was a great opportunity. I was wondering if they might have Mancuso or Vonn there to mingle with the prospects. They did not.

I know that the USST is working hard at this. They are doing a great deal more with social media. They are really active with Instagram, for example. I never see anything that references Bode. Bode is pretty quiet on his. Playing golf yesterday in CA, etc.

I don't know. LV is a media machine. Mostly marketing LV and I guess "her brand", but it clearly helps the USST. All fingers have to be crossed that she will be back soon, and winning. MS might be plain vanilla, but if you spend time with 12-17 year old girls, and their parents, she is the sport. I know some board members who feel that she is a perfect face of the team. They love her.

I assume, or hope, that they have some decent research to help guide them. In terms of specific athletes, it's complicated. I hope that Ligety's back and nerve pain gets under control, so that he can ski his best. In Olympic years, Mancuso sells well. But will she ever compete again, and do well. The GP wakes up at Olympic time, a bit. Mancuso has an Olympic gold in GS, having been on five GS podiums over 16 years. She is money in the bank.

I guess there might be some conflict in the house with respect to Bode. I think that everybody LIKES Bode. Not so sure how much they all like this situation. Now that he's declared that he is not going to compete, it might be a non factor.

Great point that they need to raise money. I guess that if Bode helps that in anyway, they embrace it. I just keep hearing him referred to as the past, and there is a lot of talk about the future.

For example there was huge excitement about AJ Ginnis, age 22, scoring his first WC points in yesterday's night SL. Much more so than Choudunsky finishing his first of the season.

From a marketing standpoint, we see that we have aging, injured athletes, along with young and pretty much unknown athletes on the way up.....and MS in her young prime. And some others who as you correctly mention, the GP really has no knowledge of.

Tiger Shaw has a tough job.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
In Olympic years, Mancuso sells well. But will she ever compete again, and do well.

Dunno, but if you haven't watched her free skiing in Shades of Winter: Between, you're missing out!

Muleski

Inactive
Was this a calculated ad campaign by Bode & Bomber to get the brand name out there? This takes their name and uses Head's Rebel Racing attude. To the high end boutique consumer, there is no proof now that the skis are not of the caliber of the rest of the race skis...If Bode was going to come back on them, they must be good..or at least good enough for me. And gives them some cred in the private lockerroom at whatever private club they are a member of...the customer that can afford to pay for them.

How many high end boutique customers are even aware that this is going on, though?

I don't know if this was "Plan A" or "Plan B." It seems to me, and has all along, that an out of shape Bode, skiing on an unknown product and who knows what for boots, would not do much for his new company by finishing in the 30's or higher. Whatever message of the skis being faster than Head would be DOA.

Let's assume that they believed all along that the agreement would hold up. No WC skiing. So the illusion is that Head was "scared?" The skis were/are wonders? I guess there is no proof that they are not, but wouldn't proof that they are be more compelling?

He's what I do know. I have three friends who are YSC members, who were in Aspen last year with some equally big hitting types, for a charity deal. They all had a chance to try the Bomber, as a well known shop had a demo fleet. They tried them, they were non plussed. Their interest was in trying another $2K ski. These guys spend. I bet one has 5-6 pairs of Wagners. I never heard a thing about Bode. It was curiosity about another exotic, I guess. My ski buying is so totally different that I sometimes don't get it!

I have doubts as to who even knows, let alone is talking about it. My home mountain still has huge Bode love, and there is a lot of chuckling about Bode being Bode and how much of a non-starter the comeback was. I have not picked up on a single person assuming that the skis are special. Have never seen a pair there in recent years. Saw a few 5-6 years ago when the former group was trying to get ball rolling.

If Bode and Bomber can create interest and demand this way, kudo's to them! I just don't see that high end buyer thinking along those lines, or even knowing. I doubt if the high end crowd who is in Aspen, Vail, and similar spots right now is talking about this and seeking out Bombers. Agree with Monique.

For Bode's sake I hope that I am wrong.

Last edited:

Muleski

Inactive
Dunno, but if you haven't watched her free skiing in Shades of Winter: Between, you're missing out!

She is a beautiful skier. Pretty much acknowledged as the best female athlete, and skier ever to wear a USST uniform. All of that free skiing at Squaw developed great skills. I've seen her ski out of a course, and she is tremendous.

She was a phenom in three junior worlds, and expected to be the next great thing. She has really delivered on the stages that the average US skier pays attention to. Medals. That is huge. Her long WC career has certainly been really good, but not LV like.

She has been a big part of USST's pitch. If it can still help them, great!

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
She is a beautiful skier. Pretty much acknowledged as the best female athlete, and skier ever to wear a USST uniform. All of that free skiing at Squaw developed great skills. I've seen her ski out of a course, and she is tremendous.

Seeing her limping while walking to the run after her surgery, then skiing it so aggressively and beautifully, was a huge inspiration to me before my first post-surgery run.

Muleski

Inactive
That's neat to hear. I think she has skied through a lot of pain over the years.

As you probably know, she has had hip issues since she was a teen. It seems now that we are hearing that they are and were quite serious. As always seems to be the case, there are folks who come out of the woodwork to second guess things, even a decade later. Seems like many armchair pretend docs.

I just hope that she will soon be healthy and able to enjoy all that she seems to love....free skiing, surfing, biking. Whatever. It seems like the rehab following the most recent surgery has been a long process. Which leads to speculation. She's a speed skier, and that puts huge force on her hips.

My vote would be to look at all that is ahead of her, at 32, and perhaps call it a career. But I have no real "facts."

She has incredible touch on snow. Many coaches chuckle when the topic is raised in terms of MS vs JM. Most that I know say it's not close...JM by a mile! I have had a chance to see her, and watch her at probably a dozen US Nationals, and she has always been upbeat, smiling, laughing, making all sorts of time for kids, etc. Big personality.

Some take that as not being as committed. Some hard ass coaches have said that she is hard to work with. Not sure if any of that is accurate. I think it's her personality and DNA.

At certain times, like Olympic cycles, she has been a very big asset to the USST. It is going to be kind of shocking when we see what the 2018-2019 roster looks like. Lots of retirements.

Julia seems to LOVE life. I hope that her health lets her do it all. A reality show with her, and somebody like Resi would be a howl!

James

Out There
Instructor
I just don't get the USST. Seems like they always obsess over a few stars. Then complain when those stars are a little different.

I don't really know, but from what I've heard the system seems broken.
Seems so much resources devoted to a few who kind of take care of themselves anyway. Really it should be all about farming new talent. It's not like say baseball where with money you could go out and buy talent. Even that doesn't work anymore. Ask the Yankees.

Muleski

Inactive
I just don't get the USST. Seems like they always obsess over a few stars. Then complain when those stars are a little different.

I don't really know, but from what I've heard the system seems broken.
Seems so much resources devoted to a few who kind of take care of themselves anyway. Really it should be all about farming new talent. It's not like say baseball where with money you could go out and buy talent. Even that doesn't work anymore. Ask the Yankees.

There are a lot of reasons for the current situation, IMO. When Bill Marolt was the CEO, the tag line became "Best in the World" which frankly meant different things to different people. What was "Best?"

It evolved to many of the best individual stars in the sport. The best woman speed skier ever in LV. Bode, a multiple overall WC winner. Mancuso began at 15, and when Marolt chose to measure success in Olympic and WC medals, she was a big part. We had Ligety emerge as "Mr. GS". We had retirements of guys like Rahlves, and of course the arrival of MS, also making her WC debut at 15. Now she is the best SL skier in recent memory, maybe ever. Not yet 22.

Many of these athletes basically demanded that they be "OP", on their own program, and the USST obliged. That is expensive, and it isn't so much of a team concept. I think the objections might become public when the athlete demands and expense go up, and even more so if performance stalls. We have a lot of injuries, and being critical there is probably not fair. But, yes, the USST has been all in on supporting different programs. Even way back when the Mahre Twins were pretty much on their own. Not new.

I'd suggest that Team is big on the WC these days for most nations. Thing Norwegian men, Italian women, French tech men, etc. The opposite is team Hirscher.

We have had a TON of athletes just leave the sport, or IMO, in some cases be pushed out of the sport. So right now, we have this massive void between our aging "stars" and the up and comers. There are a bunch of birth years that are vacant for the most part. Some suggest they were just "weak" birth years. I don't buy that. Perhaps because I see those who just walked away. We have skiers who we ranked #1 in the world as teens, who were done at 21.
I think in most cases thrown in the breech before they were ready.

There is no real WC bench today at all. We have skiers who will ski a full schedule and in tech not have second runs. In speed, maybe not crack into the top 30 all season? Is that right, or "good?" Many, many schools of thought. Can we prepare them for future success?

So Tiger Shaw has a lot to get straightened out. I'm not going into a progress report, other than to say that I suspect more change. Problem is that you normally don't do that before a WC or Olympic year. There is going to be huge change at the end of the 2018 season. Every time I turn around I hear of an athlete who "pretty much" is quietly saying they will end it at that time. There are many others who are not getting any better and may do the same. Looking at the current team roster, and thinking through who may move on is eye opening.

My hunch is that we are going to have the youngest team in skiing at that point, and that it will require an entirely different set of expectations. We will need to carefully bring along this younger group, and it will take time. I also think it will take an entirely different program and plan. New thinking. New everything.

It won't be easy. The USST has a hard time raising money. The fact that we still have SO many athletes paying for $30K or more of their expenses is just amazing. Tiger has discussed closing this "funding gap" since he took the job, and it was not new then. Maybe the entire plan needs a lot of change.

Back to this thread, over the past 10 or so years, we have had some great individual stars. Best in the world. Even with them, and with awareness probably at an all time high, the sponsorships and fundraising have been a rockfight.

So, yes, it will be a long process. And I am just talking Alpine. We have an awful lot of other athletes and disciplines. They matter a lot to many others. I have my own thoughts. You can't fund them all.

MS is a phenom, but there are plenty of people who wonder whether having such a once a generation athlete has been good for the team. I know young women who I think could be on thr WC right now who were 19,20,21 and were not loving getting smoked by this 15 year old that the team was falling all over. Right now there are U19 coaches being beat up by parents because at their kid's age, MS was on the WC. Nuts, but fact. Has the "MS factor" been good for the sport in this country? I hope so.

When you put all of your energy into one or two athletes, even at the club and academy level, it is really hard to develop a team. Some countries have realized it, and completely changed. The attacking Vikings. The we're fortunate to have a young Svindal step into a leadership role, and embrace this.

A huge amount of resources went to the small number of our best in the world. And based on Marolt's plan, it worked...for about a decade.

My other big pet peeve is the USST and their basic attitude toward college racing as development. We are missing the boat. Other countries sure love it. So many examples. Again, Norway. Canada.

It's going to take time. Good news? There are some great young skiers in the pipeline. A bunch. Patience and celebrating the small things will be critical. And I think creating a sense of team, mutual support, some fun.

Sorry to ramble. This is a hot button with me.
I hope they get it right. At least they see the problem. Team ignored it for many years.

Jack skis

Ex 207cm VR17 Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Bode Miller, the guy could astound and confound, sometimes both at the same time, on and off the race course. Smart, talented, determined and his own man. Worked damn hard at his trade, often while others (USST) did their best to "correct" him. Remember the drinking rules? If I remember correctly someone named Marolt got the DWI. I doubt once he got on those K2 4's he ever started a race he couldn't win. Many start races we might win, or could probably win, but Bode was/is a step above and could win once he left the start house. Not that he did, but every other racer had to know Bode could. I suppose his racing career is over now, it can't last forever, bur he gave race fans a lot to remember and is certainly one of the very best ever. He did a lot for ski racing in memories alone.

As to Bomber Skis, he gave it a try. Would Bode on Bombers influence my ski purchase decisions in the future? Could be, repeated Wagner ads on the local radio station resulted in the purchase of two pairs of Wagners at out house. Bode could influence me on ski choices. A previous post mentioned Yellowstone Club members opinions regarding Bombers. YC members ski opinions on skis mean nothing to me, their opinions on wealth and social status would mean something to me if either thing related to me in any way.

Another Holiday Season and it's snowing today. So much that we don't have a vehicle with enough ground clearance to get out of the garage, let alone over to the ski area. Ah well, there's alway tomorrow.

Muleski

Inactive
IMG_3004.PNG
Interesting Instagram post today by Bode. BTW, his account is NOT like MS, LV, etc. where there are frequent posts, and in the case of LV maybe driven by her team. I think Bode does the posting. Or Morgan, his wife may at times.

Note Bode's comment "If I can't ski." I didn't think much about it. Maybe since he and family have been in SoCal, he's playing golf? I didn't jump to being handcuffed from competing by Head.

Comments, though, are for the most part related to Head. And the usual "come back next year to win Kitz." One comment, from an industry guy calls him out, and says Bode could, chooses not to. Bode responds "incorrect." Not sure if Bode knows who he is.

I am quite surprised that Bode isn't in or headed to Aspen for the Ajax Cup. Huge fundraiser that attracts a lot of ski folks, etc. Bode and Bomber could make a presence at something like that. I would think they would be all over the luxury brand "stuff."

Not sure what Bode meant by "I can't ski...."
Maybe we'll see more on his social media.

Meanwhile, Head IS all over using their latest Ambassador, 63 year old Franz Klammer.
Just think that should be Bode, and at some point he might regret it.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer

Frankly

Upwind of NY
Pass Pulled
Funny I have never seen a photo of him powder skiing, in Alaska, heli-skiing, etc. But I have no doubt he'd rip with the best of them by his second run.

Its funny how much affection most skiers have for Bode. I think a lot of us are concerned that he might be exploited or lose some of his nest egg by this Bomber deal because we've seen him make a lot of emotional decisions. Of course it may all be for naught, he could be gaining millions from it so we best mind our own beeswax, he's a grown up.

(I'm thinking it wouldn't be that hard to blow through however much he set aside, 10-15 million or so....)

I'm pretty sympathetic to Head as well, the modern company has been supportive of racing and I like how their skis ski. It's impressive how the owner turned the brand around and I imagine doing that in a semi-socialist country is no mean feat.

Muleski

Inactive
Keep in mind what a few of us have said recently. Bode's put his body through a lot. He has spent a great deal of time in surgery and then rehabbing. Not every WC skier loves to free ski. Some want to have fun doing other things. And often in warm weather. Some view the on snow part as their job. And like many of us they want to get away.

Others absolutely do not, as we know. They just love to ski, plain and simple. But even they slow it down with the aches, pain, and more as their careers progress. If you contrast Bode with a younger guy like Travis Ganong, Travis is one who skis year round as much as he can.

Having seen a lot of Bode in his younger years, I can assure anybody that Bode can ski anything. Whether he ever wants to subject his back, and knees to anything but the biggest, softest pillow bumps, who knows. I doubt it. I suspect big lines in powder would be a lot more fun. And, what he has always lived for is being able to carve a ski like nobody before him. I think that was the most fun. But yes, the guy can do it all. He is/was just insanely athletic. All of his coaches and those close to him say so. I assume that his kids are going to ski. He'll be on snow.

As far as minding our own beeswax re: his business life. He and his agent, as well as his advisors have put it all out there. There was a point in time when he was notoriously "conservative" in terms of spending. In the recent past, he seems to have spent a lot of money. Big houses, big yachts, etc. It is all out there.

I am sure that we all hope that his various ventures, including Bomber do work out well for him. Particularly since it's fairly reasonable to make assumptions about what he left on the table with Eliasch and Head in terms of a very long term deal.

Eliasch, his personal fortune and success, his passion for ski racing and building his "team" of athletes has all been a big factor in the sport. No question. He bought the Head brand for next to nothing. Bode was a big part of the change. Hence the liklihood of a big personal services contract being on the table 18 months ago.

He is a grown up. A bright, and stubborn one. No question that he was and hopefully is very excited about Bomber. And no surprise that so many others think it was a risky move. I have not heard much about his horses. I think he bailed on the grilled cheese food trucks, almost as soon as he thought about them. Rumor has it that he is an early investor in Onnit, which would have been a good one.

I'm curious about what we see with Bomber, where, and how it plays out. Best of luck to Bode.

Lifer

Putting on skis
Skier
SANTA CATERINA VALFURVA, Italy (AP) — Bode Miller is still planning on racing again. Just probably not this season.

U.S. Ski Team head coach Sasha Rearick said that Miller told him he no longer plans on coming over to Europe for training in January.

"He sent me a text. He said, 'Count me in coach in the future. I'm coming back. Just things are not looking good for me to travel this January,'" Rearick told The Associated Press on Thursday at a World Cup combined race.

Earlier this month, a lawsuit Miller had filed against his former sponsor and ski manufacturer Head was dismissed.

Miller ended his nearly 10-year partnership with Head in 2015 and signed an agreement not to use other skis in World Cup or world championship races for two years.

Miller was attempting to get out of the remainder of the deal so that he could race on skis by New York-based Bomber, which he helped develop.

However, Miller would be free to race on Bomber next season and at the 2018 Pyeongchang Olympics, when he'll be 40.

If that's the plan, Rearick wants Miller to start training immediately — even if he can't race due to the contract issues.

"I hope he comes back and I hope we get a full prep period in. That's what is going to be key," Rearick said. "If we decide to do this, let's go full at it. Let's not just do one camp here and Colorado. Let's go at it full and let's start now. Those are going to me my conversations that I have with him next week."

Miller has not raced since severing his right hamstring tendon in February 2015 and did not show much speed during a brief training camp at Copper Mountain in Colorado last month, trailing several teammates.

There were questions in Colorado not only over Miller's physical form but also his equipment, which is unproven on the World Cup circuit.

Is the equipment good enough for Miller to succeed on?

"Why not? It's Bode Miller," Rearick said.

Head racing director Rainer Salzgeber said there is a standing offer for Miller to race on Head as soon as he wants.

"We would welcome him back but I don't expect that he wants to call us because it's not a matter of real competitive skiing, otherwise he would need to be really prepared," Salzgeber said.

Chris Krause, Miller's ski technician, also left Head for Bomber.

"That's why it would be quite easy to get him back on our stuff, because we would support him with the staff and Chris could tune the skis — everything's easy," Salzgeber said, adding that Miller's old skis are still stored in Head's warehouse in Austria.

Rearick also believes Miller could add to his haul of six Olympic medals in Pyeongchang.

"Bode is going to do something. But first he's going to have to qualify for the Olympics," the coach said. "We have a strong team in downhill. But I expect Bode to come out here and work hard and charge and bring the love of the sport to the team.

"There's no doubt that Bode loves the sport more than most people and he loves going out there and competing and expressing himself on snow and that's what I expect him to do, whether he's 40, 41 or like he did when he was 24

Sponsor

Staff online