• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Any Icelantic fans?

TahoeWarrior

Putting on skis
Skier
Looking at the Pioneer 96 versus the 109
I’ve had the Pioneer 96 in my quiver for 3 seasons. It’s a fun ski with good quick edge grip and a ton of pop. I always have fun on them, they want to head down finding hits and pops between carving on edge; looking for fun is a priority over all business down. Now, that pop makes them bounce around too much in crud, but again they are fun and have stayed in my mix. Biggest complaint is the bases always feel sluggish even after wax. Again, fun ski.
Fyi: my quiver order of waist is Stockli AR; Pioneer 96; Rustler 10; Rustler 11 (I’ve skied the Rustler 11 the most this season - thank you Mother Nature;)

SlideWright

aka Alpinord
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Supporter
I’ve had the Pioneer 96 in my quiver for 3 seasons. It’s a fun ski with good quick edge grip and a ton of pop. I always have fun on them, they want to head down finding hits and pops between carving on edge; looking for fun is a priority over all business down. Now, that pop makes them bounce around too much in crud, but again they are fun and have stayed in my mix. Biggest complaint is the bases always feel sluggish even after wax. Again, fun ski.
Fyi: my quiver order of waist is Stockli AR; Pioneer 96; Rustler 10; Rustler 11 (I’ve skied the Rustler 11 the most this season - thank you Mother Nature;)
if you need replacements, the Pioneer X 96 might be of interest.

I love my 2012 Keepers which are massive and super fun in deep powder, crud and quick turning when needed. They also carve fine for 119mm width. They haven’t seen a lot of use because they are overkill for everything under a foot or two of snow. So….

When looking for something in the 105-110 range I revisited Icelantic and ended up with Pioneer 109s. I mounted them up last night for their maiden voyage today. After (2) base prep cycles with extra soft and then race base medium, then blue WOTD, they ran way better than the Keepers did on their old bases initially. The Pioneers carve very well and super fun on soft groomers. They plow through crud and are quick enough in bumps BUT they are stiff and bounce you around on firm bumps and terrain. For less than a foot, they might be overkill, but still could fun and capable.

Watching the videos and ready the Icelantic info, it seems the Pioneers get progressively stiffer as they get wider. I’m not sure where the Pioneer X 96 is compared to the standard, but either might be worth a hard look for me when my Renoun Endurance 98s get put out to pasture as an all mountain. I expect they’d both handle firmer powder and crud better up to a foot or so deep, but carve (and maybe ski bumps) similarly.

Attachments

• IMG_3192.jpeg
    IMG_3192.jpeg
    293 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The Nomad has always called to me, but I've never gone beyond reading too much, but never pulling the trigger.

Odd to me that the Nomad 105 is around 110 wide underfoot, but Icelantic has been around a long time.

SlideWright

aka Alpinord
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Supporter
The current Nomad 105s are all listed with 105mm waists. Do they actually measure 110mm? The Pioneer 109s are 109mm.

FWIW & FTR, from my ski pusher buddy who 'strongly recommended' I get the Keepers. He's been curious what Icelantic now states relative to the Pioneer 109s: "stiffer but forgiving" :huh::

"I continue to love my Keepers, I still feel they are the best deep powder and slush skis in the world, or as my poetic friend (me) says "when they are feeding." They have that unique step rocker in the front that gives them a control quality in deep snow I have never experienced before, and which unfortunately makes them slower than shit on the flat. The bottom line is that I believe the design of the Keepers was actually a lucky accident. It's like they formed them with rocker and then bent the tips a little more. It is a completely unnatural profile compared to any other ski I have ever seen. It's like the Icelantic Shaman where they went weird, got lucky, and ended up with a cult classic which made their reputation. From what I can tell they have made a lot of other very mediocre skis with stunning top sheets, although they do have a few good ones. They seem to specialize in weird shapes. Do they even put metal in their skis?"

AND:

"The PNW "powder" is too thick for Keepers (just float on top) but had a feeding frenzy at Alta and Jackson Hole last year on our van trip. I'll take mine to my grave. I thought of you when I used them because you said they always make you smile and I looked like I had a coat hanger in me mouth after the first run."

The Pioneers are livelier than the Keepers and will keep getting faster after a few more wax cycles. They were a lot of fun but worked me hard in the hard bumps yesterday. Lots of snow forecasted for this week so I expect to do some more 'testing'.:yahoo:

Attachments

• IMG_3190.jpeg
    IMG_3190.jpeg
    261.8 KB · Views: 26

Truberski

Getting off the lift
Skier
A couple of my kids use Nomads for park skiing and they love them. I am very, very impressed with the durability of Icelantic skis (base and edges) given how my kids use them and the conditions during our recent trip to Utah. I’ve never hit so many rocks in all my years living in and visiting Utah. My Line Sakanas are toast and the kids Nomads are fine.

SlideWright

aka Alpinord
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Supporter
A couple of my kids use Nomads for park skiing and they love them. I am very, very impressed with the durability of Icelantic skis (base and edges) given how my kids use them and the conditions during our recent trip to Utah. I’ve never hit so many rocks in all my years living in and visiting Utah. My Line Sakanas are toast and the kids Nomads are fine.
They are well made, IMO. I meant to include this previously. I like the build, burly side walls & the feel of the wood core's even flexing. Drilling the topsheet & poplar core for mounting bindings is easy and clean. The screws definitely felt secure when driving them.

I couldn't find it with a quick search, but I believe there is a 3 year warranty on their 'bombproof construction':

Attachments

• IceyConstruction-AllMountain_cec78257-8ecc-47d4-8c93-ade42de1b932_1800x.jpg
    IceyConstruction-AllMountain_cec78257-8ecc-47d4-8c93-ade42de1b932_1800x.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 26

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Icelantic is indeed showing all lengths of the Nomad 105 with a 105 waist.

Back in 2021, Blister showed a reported waist of 105 on the 191, but a measured waist of 111:

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
@SlideWright The Nomads I had worked on for a friend was listed at 105 measured 108. This was 8 years ago. They took a beating in the U.P. for 2 years and didn't show much wear.

my07mcx2

Getting off the lift
Skier
Icelantic is indeed showing all lengths of the Nomad 105 with a 105 waist.

Back in 2021, Blister showed a reported waist of 105 on the 191, but a measured waist of 111:

i had a pair and they measured out at 110.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I wonder how many lost skis there will be on powder days?

INTRODUCING: THE NEW NOMAD + MAIDEN WHITEOUT COLLECTION

1_18714560-6a99-47e8-be50-f39b03a27445.jpg

Look at the bright side-none of those pesky proper technique sticklers will criticize your less than perfect turns, little wedge here and there etc when you are on invisible skis.

It will be even better in low visibility: I am telling you John, the other day there was that dude who was skiing on his boot soles only, no skis to be seen. And he was amazingly good, I kid you not.

SlideWright

aka Alpinord
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Supporter
Look at the bright side-none of those pesky proper technique sticklers will criticize your less than perfect turns, little wedge here and there etc when you are on invisible skis.

It will be even better in low visibility: I am telling you John, the other day there was that dude who was skiing on his boot soles only, no skis to be seen. And he was amazingly good, I kid you not.
So...are you saying rather than buying stealth skis, don't buy any skis? ogwink

Sponsor