• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Arizona/New Mexico 2024 Taos Mini-Gathering Report and Pics

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I've arrived in Taos! So I wanted to get this thing going. Please post your trip pics, reports, and impressions here!!

Taos reported 17" today, so things are off to a good start. Here's a pic copied from the main Gathering thread to get things started!

1707012543520.png

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I am back in my condo room, thoroughly wiped out. With Saturday powder day, there was a lot of traffic, the drive up was slow, even stop-and-go for a lot of it. Then finding parking was challenging, especially for myself who didn’t know likely lots with spaces. They were later able to open up more parking after plowing, and I parked right at Shuttle Stop 13.

Met @Dean and @mdf in the locker room, and we took a couple of runs on Pioneers just to be moving, because the lines at Chair 1 were like this:
IMG_2479.jpeg
The backup was due to the backside being closed, so everybody who drove up the road were skiing Chairs 1, 2 and 8. They did open up some of the backside sometime after noon, though not Chair 4.

We finally rode Chair 1, and when we stopped at Whistlestop we ran into @Sandy_NYC so skied most of the day together. Ran into other people (Grumps) briefly, but mostly the four of us.

Around 1:30 I took a break from the again-long lines at Chair 1, found where Boot Doctors were and obtained a ZipFit liner to replace my Intuition liners, which I bought Dec 2017. So it was time. Liners heated, walked back to store old liners in my boot bag, went out to ski, did a few runs on Chair 2 and 8 on my own, found Sandy, Dean and Mike and finished the day.

It was probably a Bad Decision to ski as much as I did for my first day at Taos, at elevation, and I was feeling a little dizzy at times (yes I had my hydration pack and used it frequently). But, snow. So. Much. Snow. It was glorious. The forecast predicts 2-4” more inches overnight, so not another powder day per se…..but then there’s Chair 4. Maybe Kachina? Should be great conditions regardless.

So, I just made myself some dinner, had a long shower and I’m going to stretch my sore muscles a bit, and get to bed early, wake up early and see if I can beat some of the traffic.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I think the 17” was around 6am. It snowed all day and I had to dig my vehicle out of almost a foot in the parking lot. I should have taken a pic because with wind there was a cool overhang of the snow on the roof of the car on the drivers side.

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Well, this gathering is off to a good start.
Keep it coming!!

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Tell Glade which does not have trees (Tell Trees next to it is in the woods.) And sorry for the weird cell phone pic artifacts. My phone doesn't usually do that. Odd.

20240204_145907.jpg

Last edited:

VickiK

Out on the slopes
Skier
Had dinner at
Aly's Taos Eats

Next to big CID’s gourmet market in Taos town. “Meat pie” means a small pie in a 5” foil pan, not a hand pie like Cornish pasty. Salad with pear bacon blue cheese is generous enough to split and tasty.

Photo is my beef bourguignon pie and Moroccan spiced potatoes. Reasonably priced and well spiced.

Attachments

• IMG_3539.jpeg
    IMG_3539.jpeg
    264.1 KB · Views: 22

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
What an awesome day! Sunny weather, and still a lot of soft snow around.

Morning in the singles line (I did not know about using the ski school entrance for Ski Week students, so was one of the later people in the ski-off).
IMG_2481.jpeg

This is my group (pending any shuffling): @Dean, @mdf, Andrew and Yi.
IMG_2483.jpeg

After lunch, @Dean, @dbostedo, @mdf and @Neurodrive.
IMG_2488.jpeg

And this is what we skied. Right after lunch. And @dbostedo ’s first time skiing Al’s Run. Mine too for that matter.
IMG_2489.jpeg

This is what happens after you ski Al’s Run.
IMG_2490.jpeg

The afternoon group: @mdf, @Sandy_NYC, @KingGrump hiding, Yi, Ben, Andrew, @Neurodrive and @Dean.
IMG_2500.jpeg

Sponsor

Staff online