• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2023 FIFA Women's World Cup

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Anyone else excited for the World Cup starting on Thursday? It's being played in Australia and New Zealand, which makes for some awkward match times in the US.

The first US match should be a cake walk... and the US comes in ranked first in the world. But I'm sure it will still be tough.

Here are the first 3 day's matches (times are EST):
1689704023279.png

Full Google schedule here:

Or a full grid/location schedule here:

James

Out There
Instructor
Other than being where it is, yes, looking forward to it.
The US hadn’t reslly settled the goal keeper, which is weird. There’s also someone on the team with no caps. Which is kind of good.
One thing that’s changed is USWNT no longer spends the massive amount of time together as in the past. Due to the league.

Australia could be very good.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I'll probably sleep through group stage and wake up in the knockout rounds (no pun intended). I will wear a USA jersey out and about each day we play the win or go home games. Bracket stage kicks off Aug 5th IIRC..

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
US are a gimme to the semis then possibly Sweden and Germany or England in the final.

ZionPow

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I will record and watch all USA matches. Hope the loss of Swanson and Sauerbrunn to injury will not impact our results. Swanson was on fire prior to her injury and Sauerbrunn was huge in defense.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, I really feel for Swanson. (very weird to call her that) She has been in a couple of these before, of course, but this really was her window. She will be, what, 29? the next one, which is still doable of course but now these youngsters are on her tail. Sidenote: did anyone see the stills of her injury? Photog got it just right, you could see the gap where her patella was disappearing from where it was supposed to be. Ugh. But interesting....

doc

Out on the slopes
Skier
Looking forward to it. Horan played club soccer for the club on whose board I used to sit, and Swanson nee Pugh (did I get the order right) played for the club one of my boys played for. Sophie Smith is also a Colorado soccer product.

James

Out There
Instructor
Horan played club soccer for the club on whose board I used to sit,
This is pretty funny about her arrival at CDG airport in Paris. Those habitrail style tubes really are weird.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
How far are you from Auckland @Turoa? World Cup game is definitely something I'd try to attend if one happened nearby.

Dean

Lawn chair sledder extraordinaire
Skier
Looks like I'm limited to broadcast. Caught some of Australia Ireland this morning.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Yee Ha!!!! . Lowly ranked New Zealand beat Norway 1-0. By way of an awesome length of the field play
The first ever Football World Cup victory for any New Zealand football team.
And in front of 42,000 the largest ever crowd for a football game

What a magnificent, thrilling play and strong, decisive finish. Epic!

James

Out There
Instructor
Judging by the NZ-NOR match, these games are going to be fast. NZ has some speed, going to be fun to watch. NOR woke up to helicopters outside hitel from a shooting nearby. Coach said it didn’t affect things.

Game probably should’ve been 2-1 for NZ. NZ missed a pk and NOR hit the crossbar. Good game.
IRE did well against AUS, lost by a pk.

Last edited:

Turoa Kiwi

JH
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
How far are you from Auckland @Turoa? World Cup game is definitely something I'd try to attend if one happened nearby.
I live in Wellington 700 kms away from Auckland
There are 6 ? games here but I’m heading south to Queenstown on Sunday for 6 weeks.
It is ski season after all.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online