• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mid-Atlantic 2023-2024 Poconos and Greater Area Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
Yeah it's bad.......the temperatures this week and next week and now this warm rain we have been getting the past 24 hours is putting a hurtin' on whatever snow is on the ground........This is like the 5th deluge of warm rain we have had this winter. This could be (hope it is not) the knockout punch here in PA/Catskills?
I don't think it will kill the season. At least at CBK they put down a thick base. Also it hasn't rained that much yet. I can remember some much heavier rain events in the Pocono's that the skiing was able to survive. Also as of yesterday they still have the hoses hooked up an have been known to blow snow in March.

salvatore

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I was really hoping to make it to Blue or CBK tomorrow or Friday. Not looking very good, though, is it.

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I was really hoping to make it to Blue or CBK tomorrow or Friday. Not looking very good, though, is it.
Blue has a decent base. Might be few spots where it gets thin with this weather, but should be decent by Friday with some nighttime freezingand grooming. Might have some nice cord first thing and spring snow later. Not looking any better next week unfortunately.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Sure, many resorts have blown thick cover. But rain and wind are not friends of snow. Most places that are open in NEPA have a foot of consolidated cover on them, no more. That will go quite quickly. It'll go even more quickly on trails with moguls that haven't seen as much grooming.

And two nights with a 4-5 hour window of marginal snowmaking temperatures won't really stave the bleeding. We are seeing the end of the season over the next fortnight, I'm afraid.

I'll be at Blue on Friday and Saturday, at Elk on Sunday for races. And I'm guessing those are my last days on snow in PA for 2023-24.

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
No way. Camelback will make it to Easter probably at 100 % open too. They haven’t pulled the hoses. They have made snow in March in the past. I’ve seen it rain much harder (like 4-6 in harder) and the skiing survive. Pond Skim is the weekend before Easter My season is almost done there (PA) as I go out west but I expect them to make it through March

Last edited:

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Has any of this happened under KSL ownership? I love the optimism but in a year when the big resort owners are showing lower revenue it might be a stretch, even if it builds goodwill.

ihocky2

Putting on skis
Skier
I am planning to hit up Elk Mountain tomorrow and am looking to demo some new skis. I know there are two shops nearby, Idlewild and Guenther's Ski Haus. Looking for opinions if one is more knowledgeable than the other or if one has a better selection to demo. Looking to demo something in a carver or a narrower all-mountain.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
Has any of this happened under KSL ownership? I love the optimism but in a year when the big resort owners are showing lower revenue it might be a stretch, even if it builds goodwill.
KSL has cut some corners in some parts of the operation, however, snow making doesn't seem to be one of them. I really don't think they are going to let the season go to save on things as March has always been a decent month for them. They came through this last bump in temps well and from the web cams the base still looks very healthy. Snow in the woods is gone however.

Now I can list some other things that they aren't spending money on that annoy me. Complaint number 1 would be the lifts. Glen has been down for a while now and I have yet to see any activity at all to fix it. With Marc and Cleo lifts no longer operational the middle of the mountain once again is not being used to its potential. Complaint number 2 is, for gods sake, get some live entertainment back in the Thirsty Camel. I'm not the only one upset with this and the voices have been getting louder. The Thirsty Camel has always been an excellent après ski bar, it's large, fits a significant number of people and has a great stage. Last weekend apparently they had some entertainment on Friday night but nothing on Saturday. makes no sense to me.

TS
Willyum215

Willyum215

Col. Mustard
Skier
I am planning to hit up Elk Mountain tomorrow and am looking to demo some new skis. I know there are two shops nearby, Idlewild and Guenther's Ski Haus. Looking for opinions if one is more knowledgeable than the other or if one has a better selection to demo. Looking to demo something in a carver or a narrower all-mountain.

Thanks

I've been in the area for a while now but have never demoed or purchased skis from either shop - I've always known what I wanted and have purchased online. I am also still obsessed with my 7 year old Latigos lol. Both are great shops. I would give the *slightest* edge to Guenther's, mainly due to the number of racers and experienced skiers they service yearly and because they have a state-of-the-art Montana machine which was just installed this past year (they have had Montanas in the past as well.) I take my skis there for regular tunes/waxes. I'm not knocking on Idlewild, though; I purchase gear/soft goods from them more. Ultimately, I think it depends on what brands you prefer. Idlewild carries Nordica, Solomon, Stockli, and Fischer (plus maybe others I'm not thinking of), while Idlewild carries Blizzard, Volkl, Atomic (and probably others...).
Again, both great shops - you can't go wrong either way. Enjoy! I plan to try to take an extended lunch and get some laps in tomorrow, work-dependent, as the ski days are unfortunately numbered for sure.

Last edited:

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
Wow CBK is open but took a beating and has lost some terrain. Interesting that the trails they blew last have the most snow on them like Cliffhanger, Rocket and Margie’s. Bumps on Lower Cleo are still up and that’s where I got my runs today. Cleared locker as I don’t think I get up there again and travel season begins this weekend. Heading to the Rockies the 16th

ihocky2

Putting on skis
Skier
Blue is closing a few trails already, but they were some of the last to open as well. I hit CBK last Monday and there were a couple spots already getting thin. Same thing at Elk on Friday, even after blowing the night before. I left Wednesday night open in my schedule, but it looks like everyone is shut down that day already.

I am crossing my fingers to make it to the 16th, but I think there is going to be a car ride involved heading north to do anything that weekend.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Blue is closing a few trails already, but they were some of the last to open as well. I hit CBK last Monday and there were a couple spots already getting thin. Same thing at Elk on Friday, even after blowing the night before. I left Wednesday night open in my schedule, but it looks like everyone is shut down that day already.

I am crossing my fingers to make it to the 16th, but I think there is going to be a car ride involved heading north to do anything that weekend.
With the weather what it is/has been here on the EC and u want to ski anywhere by mid March…..u better book a plane and head west……

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online