• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mid-Atlantic 2023-2024 Poconos and Greater Area Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Camelback was one of the scariest, crowded places I have ever skied.

They managed to combine 2 of the "diamond" rated trails, Asp and Hump, into one intersection from different directions as they hit Bailey's. Neither one had a clear the right of way. People could get some good speed and come flying into the intersection without seeing the other skier until it was too late. It was insane. I only skied this place a handful of days and I saw multiple near misses in this one location and at least 2 collisions. The first day I skied Camelback I almost had a collision in this spot.

Further craziness was they blow tons of snow on the trails to the point that the trails might be 6 feet (or more) higher than the woods. If you fell near the edge of a trail you would go off this drop into the woods were there was little of no snow and lots of rocks and trees. I saw people fall and slide off the edge on more than one occasion.

The other underlying factor was the drinking. I have never seen so many people skiing drunk. There were fearless and stupid.

I have not returned since the early 1990s.
U should have been there for the “all night skis” that Camelback and Shawnee had….lol.

As a teenager/ the snow higher than the woods made for great launching ramps…but that was when it actually snowed in PA.

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
Camelback was fun today. A little slick but decent grip and not over run at least in the morning.
Mountain Creek is the place where I’ve experienced the most danger. Got taken out twice there.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Camelback was one of the scariest, crowded places I have ever skied.
You've never skied "Lazy Mile" at Blue then.
They managed to combine 2 of the "diamond" rated trails, Asp and Hump, into one intersection from different directions as they hit Bailey's. Neither one had a clear the right of way. People could get some good speed and come flying into the intersection without seeing the other skier until it was too late. It was insane. I only skied this place a handful of days and I saw multiple near misses in this one location and at least 2 collisions. The first day I skied Camelback I almost had a collision in this spot.
I had a collision with a Patroller at that spot ... totally my fault ... he was in my line.
Further craziness was they blow tons of snow on the trails to the point that the trails might be 6 feet (or more) higher than the woods. If you fell near the edge of a trail you would go off this drop into the woods were there was little of no snow and lots of rocks and trees. I saw people fall and slide off the edge on more than one occasion.

The other underlying factor was the drinking. I have never seen so many people skiing drunk. There were fearless and stupid.
Were you at the the all night ski's that they had in the early 80's ... you want to talk about a lot of people skiing drunk.
I have not returned since the early 1990s.
Neither have I.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Was at Elk, Sunday am….great skiing on the gun powder found on Tunkhannock and Slalom/ basically lapped them all am. But…disappointed the quad was not running “again”…..that really jams things up/ makes for some 1980’s lines. (We exited to the quad lot tailgate about noon…)

FWIW…The quad had to be evac’d again on Saturday (which is why it wasn’t open on Sunday)

This is like the 4th/5th time (maybe more) have had to evac people from that lift/other lifts at Elk the past year(s)…They really need to address these issues….cuz something bigger/nasty is due to happen up there.

As we say, it always skis great for what we get in NEPA….it’s our local mountain and have supported for many years…..but having to evacuate peope off of lifts every few weeks is not good.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
This is like the 4th/5th time (maybe more) have had to evac people from that lift/other lifts at Elk the past year(s)…They really need to address these issues….cuz something bigger/nasty is due to happen up there.

As we say, it always skis great for what we get in NEPA….it’s our local mountain and have supported for many years…..but having to evacuate peope off of lifts every few weeks is not good.

Elk is a bit of a paradox: the mountain is lovely, the terrain great, the snow always on point. And the lodges are fun: rustic, no-frills, no-nonsense.

The lifts, though? That's where they cut costs and it is starting to catch up with them. From the twin doubles by Hall and Partek (the latter often kept running via MacGyver-style solutions like ratchet-chains), to the weird double-quad setup (with the sawed-off towers of the double), there is a lot of benign neglect going on - at least it's benign until the wheels come off.

Elk is not the only PA ski area with lift woes, as Tussey Mountain's quad (which is a truly MacGyver-school quad that's really a retrofit double) is so beyond serviceability that they have to have parts custom machined to fix things. Tussey was closed for the better part of a week earlier this month when one of the bull wheel started to shimmy and a custom shim was needed - not good. At least the new ownership group is looking at a replacement, hopefully for next season.

The big issue with Elk is that I'm not sure they're sitting on the capital or the credit line to invest in replacement lifts. Right now they need a minimum of three new (or new-to-them) lifts. And it's really sad that the fixed-grip quad, their newest lift, is causing such issues. I think the rather questionable setup of mixing it with the old double, using super wide cross-members on the towers, etc., is causing alignment issues that could only realistically be fixed by ditching the double and putting in proper towers just for the quad. But hey: I'm no lift engineer, just a person who understands physics and wear rates on moving metal parts.

We shall see. Having evacuations as a "normal" thing eventually creates bad PR. And for places like Elk, where there likely isn't a huge profit margin, enough bad PR can cause irreversible negative ripple effects.

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
Day 36 for me. Today will go down as a top 5 day in the Pocono's this season. Hit a shower on the way out 80 but by opening the sun was coming out and it just got better from there. Perfect combination of temps and the snow releasing at a nice rate. 15 runs, 3 with bumps, the last one with the best ride through the bumps this season. Wish I could have stayed all day.

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I think he was talking about Tussey.

kitchener

Still At Large
Skier
I'm surprised riding by it all these years on Sullivan and now Big Bear 6 I never noticed the obvious-when-you-see-it disembark slope from what used to be the mid-mountain drop-off station at Camelback. Jumped right out at me Sunday (when I was looking for it).

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I think he was talking about Tussey.

Yes, talking about Tussey. It was bought just before the 2022-23 season by an investment group of State College locals, one of whom is a coach for the mountain's ski team. Their capital investment plan is robust and well planned. That said: they hadn't planned on replacing the old quad lift quite this quickly.

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
Great info. Had a feeling the answer was Cleo. Had no idea there was a mid-mountain drop-off station (old Sullivan double) -- any traces still visible?
I’m assuming the quote below is in regard to your question above
I'm surprised riding by it all these years on Sullivan and now Big Bear 6 I never noticed the obvious-when-you-see-it disembark slope from what used to be the mid-mountain drop-off station at Camelback. Jumped right out at me Sunday (when I was looking for it).
The old mid station was basically where Basalisk ends. That flat section was the platform for the unload station. If you look in the woods above there you can still see the footings for the old double. Like Phil said that thing ate poles

Look at the bottom right of the photo of the old Sullivan double and you can see the station

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

The old mid station was basically where Basalisk ends. That flat section was the platform for the unload station. If you look in the woods above there you can still see the footings for the old double. Like Phil said that thing ate poles

Look at the bottom right of the photo of the old Sullivan double and you can see the station
I will say that Sullivan chair was one of the most uncomfortable chairs I every rode, it was short and hit you right in the back of the thighs.

kitchener

Still At Large
Skier

Yes, it was clear as day once you're looking for it.

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
Another A1 day. Got below freezing on the mountain last night but with full on sun the snow was letting go quicker then yesterday. But the mountain was empty and the best part was bumps that were actually not so jarring as they had been. Several laps through them. Will see what happens weatherwise tonight.

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Blue is closing tomorrow for the rain. Did manage to get out late Sunday afternoon/evening for a lesson. Really meshing well with this instructor and hope he’s back next year. Conditions were mixed but fun. Needed my skinny skis but had a blast with random small bumps scattered around the mountain. By the time it got dark I pretty much had the place to myself. May have to try some more Sunday evenings down the road.

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
Elk closed today as well. I'm sure this is true of most, if not all, of the NE PA resorts.
Yea looks like Camelback is as well.

Thursday is going to be out for me as well. (Lets add water to the snow then freeze it up good). Hopefully temps moderate Friday and Saturday has minimal rain. Last weekend at CBK for me this season and I want to enjoy both skiing and après.

But I want to say I really enjoyed the last 2 weeks which were the best of the season so far. For the Pocono's it doesn't get much better then that.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Elk closed today as well. I'm sure this is true of most, if not all, of the NE PA resorts.
Yeah it's bad.......the temperatures this week and next week and now this warm rain we have been getting the past 24 hours is putting a hurtin' on whatever snow is on the ground....as of this am all the natural snow cover is all gone.....

This is like the 5th deluge of warm rain we have had this winter. This could be (hope it is not) the knockout punch here in PA/Catskills?

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online