• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2022-23 Superbowl Run

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
While the Eagles made some mistakes on defense (you let the gimpy QB run for what? 38 Yards?), that phantom hold call was a back breaker. The Chiefs may well have scored anyway but come on, you let them play for 57 or 58 minutes and then call a hold for touching the guy in the back? Even the announcers were befuddled.
While am KC norm and raised and a big Chiefs fan I thought it was pretty marginal.

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The hosts on WIP are doing a good job of breaking it down. The callers have moved into a more philosophical mode -or they are just screening better.
I still want to know what they gave Mahomes for that ankle. I was thinking of climbing Everest tomorrow after lunch or maybe flying under my own power. Toradol?

locknload

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Tough way to end a great game. Mahomes was remarkable on the gimpy ankle...I'm impressed. Great players can lift their team onto their shoulders when they need to. The holiday call aside, he was great in the second half and that made the difference.

wiread

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This call is going to be debated for years. Granted, it’s a fine line sometimes but the officiating is still inconsistent.
Talk radio in Philly is on fire apparently. ( figuratively, at least for now)
UPDATE: Bradbury admitted he grabbed the jersey.
He did grab it, the view from the back sees it stretch briefly, but still, that happens on pretty much every single play and to never call it, but then call it to essentially seal the game is a tough pill to swallow. It's happened to my team but in a situation to win and get the super bowl, not in it. Still sucks

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Bengals fans to everyone.. "We told you so".. about the refs' KC favoritism. It was a good game. I feel bad for Jalen. Let's get real. That fumble cost Philly the game as much as any bad or no calls did. KC's pass routes had Eagle D baffled all night too.

wiread

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
by no means was that call the reason they won, it just changed the way it ended. KC definitely the plays to win. I wanted to see a fight to the finish and that penalty took what was shaping up to be a furious finish, away.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
He did grab it, the view from the back sees it stretch briefly, but still, that happens on pretty much every single play and to never call it, but then call it to essentially seal the game is a tough pill to swallow. It's happened to my team but in a situation to win and get the super bowl, not in it. Still sucks
Yeah so that was my question a while back.. very hard to pick the rule out. I'm sure there was a false start or two..

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The hold was marginal, but not the game decider. Hurts fumble was bad, but no defensive stops in the 2nd half by the Eagles defense is a bad look. Hurts overcame his fumble but the defense didn't their poor play. The Eagles beat the GOAT and the Pats with just one strip sack late in the 2nd half of a very similar high-scoring game in 2018. No such luck or skill here.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
I think you have to accept that marginal calls are just intrinsic to the game. Look at VAR in soccer in what are far simpler circumstances generally.

I suspect if you are going to play completely clean you aren't competitive at NFL level, so everyone commits infractions to some degree. Question is not will you be pulled up but when? If you don't want a late penalty to affect the outcome of a game ensure you are at least a clear score up.

Reactions: tch

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
While the Eagles made some mistakes on defense (you let the gimpy QB run for what? 38 Yards?), that phantom hold call was a back breaker. The Chiefs may well have scored anyway but come on, you let them play for 57 or 58 minutes and then call a hold for touching the guy in the back? Even the announcers were befuddled.

Par for the course in the NFL. The Chiefs beat the Bengals courtesy of a late "push" out-of-bounds. Again, they might have scored anyway, but you shouldn't call sketchy penalties that effectively seal the game.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Chiefs beat the Bengals because they outplayed them the entire game and the obvious late hit was correctly called at the end of the game. Even if the late hit doesn’t happen, you don’t think Mahomes can move the ball that 10-15 yards needed in 5 seconds to make the eventual kick easier? You ever watched Mahomes play? Lol

KC receivers held multiple times during the game but wasn’t called on big first down attempts, along with some questionable “catch/not a catch” calls.

KC had the better performing O-line who protected the injured QB and allowed them to score 24 points in the second half. 0 sacks for the Eagles and KC with 6 yards a carry. That’s why Eagles lost.

wiread

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The late hit in the Bengals game was absolutely the right call. And Mahomes can move the ball the length of the field in about 15 seconds, it's fun to watch.

and just to clarify, i am not putting the reason the eagles lost or KC won on that late penalty. It was a penalty by the book though how it's applied isn't consistent. My biggest gripe as a football fan was that it took away what was shaping up to be a really crazy finish and essentially ended the game right there.

But there are lots of reasons the Eagles lost far more important than that 1 call.

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
Ah, there is a better explanation: the Chiefs were down 14-24 at halftime:
The Chiefs have a good chance since The Curse of Rob has likely been lifted. I lived 21 years in KC and less than 25 miles from Arrowhead. The Chiefs achieved the sum total of diddly squat while I lived there. I left, and they've been in Super Bowl contention for the last few years. Coincidence? I think not. I just hope that Prescott Valley being 100 miles north of Phoenix will be far enough away for The Curse to be mitigated - surely Curses follow an inverse square law, n'est-ce pas?

Realizing that the Curse probably did follow the inverse square law, I moved further along the sofa after half time and thereby further north of Phoenix, increasing the distance, clearly just sufficiently more to mitigate the curse. Voila, the Chiefs won. QED

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
+1 tp when you shove ANYONE in to the benches ANYTIME you are already a good 3+ yards out of bounds it should absolutely be called.. even if it totally changes the outcome of the game. Blame the idiot player who lost their cool, not the ref..

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Bradberry said the holding call was 100% correct: "I pulled on his jersey. They called it. I was hoping they would let it ride."
+1 tp when you shove ANYONE in to the benches ANYTIME you are already a good 3+ yards out of bounds it should absolutely be called.. even if it totally changes the outcome of the game. Blame the idiot player who lost their cool, not the ref..
That’s the thing, they do “ let it ride” - all the time . The hold had no apparent effect on the play that I could see. The call however, effectively ended the game .
Yeah, shoving, self inflicted wounds, stupid penalties, how many times have we seen teams shoot themselves in the foot ?

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I hate seeing penalties like that especially when the have an implications on the ending of the game but there are calls and no calls like that in just about every play. Hursts’ fumble recovery for a TD stung but they still went into halftime with a 10 point lead. Special teams have been a weakness and it bit them with that bad punt and long return. The defense and in particular Gannon lost this game though. He got out coached by Reid. He adjusted and Gannon did not. Don’t get me started on his unwillingness to play press for fear of getting beat deep. That played right into KC’s hands. We’ve seen it over and over again with him.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
KC defense made a bunch of stupid mistakes that were called for penalties in the first half that extended Eagles possessions and resulted in Eagles touchdowns. The whole reason Chris Jones was so pissed on the sidelines and mentioned in after game interviews that they “stopped shooting themselves in the foot” in the second half.

KC with 11 draft picks, $28 mil plus in cap space and the 2022 rookies will be even better next year. Might be playing the Eagles again next year in the Superbowl!

Interesting stat from last night.

52594C3D-E0F2-4352-97E5-424867BF17EF.png

Sponsor