• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada 2022-2023 Tahoe Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpeedyKevin

Out on the slopes
Skier
Ended our season last weekend at Mammoth and now having the post-season nostalgia...

Was looking over photos from the season today. These were from the overnight storm on Dec 10th-11th, 2022.

We had cleared the drive way and top of the car the night before and thought we would be good to go in the morning....boy were we wrong
1689483437376.png
1689483260355.png

We didn't complain too much as we were grateful for all the snow we could get in early December. Our thought process was like....we don't get powder that often so enjoy the experience digging out..... Boy....were we wrong for sure....digging out became a common occurrence for the months of January to March :eek:

We prioritized digging out the car first because you know... gotta go skiing!:Teleb: (we ended up having to wait after we finished as the roads in TD weren't plowed yet)
1689483463047.png

Front deck next. It started snowing again by now and continued all day.
1689483471963.png
1689484143041.png

By the time we completed the front deck around 10am, we opted to not try to deal with the mad dash to Pally since (A GREAT decision in hindsight). Instead , we cleared the back deck.

1689483635290.png

Definitely had one of the best nights of sleep I have ever had after clearing all that snow. Thankfully we had energy for the next day as Northstar had opened up new terrain after the storm (I think it was around the Vista chair). We weren't expecting anything awesome as we had skipped the day prior but...it seemed like everyone did too! We had quite a few trails to ourselves and experienced some of the deepest powder runs we had ever skied. Had one crash and ended up sinking all the way to my chest. Not a fun time trying to get out of that :D But all in all, it was a memorable experience with great company.

Who would have thought back then that this was just the beginning.... cue Jan-March 2023

1689483776189.png

Last edited:

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Was looking over photos from the season today. These were from the overnight storm on Dec 10th-11th, 2022.
You got me doing the same.
Even though my first powder skiing was a month earlier on November 10th
IMG_5280.jpeg

It was the December 10th & 11th storm that really got things going
IMG_5477.jpeg

When the streets weren’t plowed we just skinned up the road to get the goods
IMG_5479.jpeg

& when the roads cleared we found it at Kirkwood on the 12th
IMG_5487.jpeg

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Not ski stoke related, but for those who are familiar with Mt Rose and the Winter's Creek side of the mountain, you may find this story interesting.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Not ski stoke related, but for those who are familiar with Mt Rose and the Winter's Creek side of the mountain, you may find this story interesting.

Update from another news source.

Eric267

Gettin after it
Skier
Seems like a new thread is right around the corner so I’ll add my favorite pic from the 22-23 season. This year was kind of funny in that I didn’t really hardly get any on mountain pictures since it never stopped snowing for long enough to pull the phone out of the pocket!

This one is from about 1:00am on Tuesday March 28th. In the week prior we’d gotten around 3.5’ so it was really starting to stack up. OLittle did we know we were about to go nuclear! That Tues to Tues 2/28-3/7 we got almost 70” here at 6600’, lower mountain Squaw 80”, and the upper mountain 128”!! It was probably the most unbelievable week of snow I’ve experienced, not only because of the magnitude of that system, but with the amount of pack already on the ground there was absolutely nowhere to move the new snow during the great dig out that ensued!

The burial begins 2/28/23
53B88152-89A4-484D-9B7B-9388320711F9.jpeg

The evening light is changing, getting softer!
100%. Had the same feeling when I snapped this last night

8DE5AF39-A662-4B32-97DC-2ED36ECB52DD.jpeg

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This is an area where hang gliders come to park and take advantage of the thermals.

A few pics from the accident scene. A few thoughts come to mind, because you don't just accidently go over that area, but we really don't know what happened. The angles of the cameras on that side of the mountain don't show the parking lot.
Screenshot 2023-07-27 at 7.54.30 AM.png Screenshot 2023-07-27 at 7.54.13 AM.png

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
but we really don't know what happened.
I hate to think suicide, as that would be an awful way to go about it. I'm leaning more towards doing donuts and tearing around an empty parking lot and lost control or maybe a medical.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Seems like a new thread is right around the corner so I’ll add my favorite pic from the 22-23 season. This year was kind of funny in that I didn’t really hardly get any on mountain pictures since it never stopped snowing for long enough to pull the phone out of the pocket!

This one is from about 1:00am on Tuesday March 28th. In the week prior we’d gotten around 3.5’ so it was really starting to stack up. OLittle did we know we were about to go nuclear! That Tues to Tues 2/28-3/7 we got almost 70” here at 6600’, lower mountain Squaw 80”, and the upper mountain 128”!! It was probably the most unbelievable week of snow I’ve experienced, not only because of the magnitude of that system, but with the amount of pack already on the ground there was absolutely nowhere to move the new snow during the great dig out that ensue!

The burial begins 2/28/23
View attachment 208029

This is my favorite picture of the season. Late spring, Palisades at Alpine. @oldfashoned is scoping the descent and his anticipation is so evident in the picture.

Amazing season :yahoo:

PXL_20230528_180823611.jpg

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This is an area where hang gliders come to park and take advantage of the thermals.

A few pics from the accident scene. A few thoughts come to mind, because you don't just accidently go over that area, but we really don't know what happened. The angles of the cameras on that side of the mountain don't show the parking lot.
View attachment 208040 View attachment 208041

I hate to think suicide, as that would be an awful way to go about it. I'm leaning more towards doing donuts and tearing around an empty parking lot and lost control or maybe a medical.
If the car's OnStar type system didn't notify the emergency services no one might have know that the vehicle was down there.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
For those who are not aware of the location. Here is a photo that I marked up on our way back from Carson City.
Taken through a windshield so not super crisp but you get the idea.
The purple arrow points to the Slide Side access road coming in.
The red line is the ravine the car went down.
Part of the reason this area doesn't have gaurdrails is because its an active place for snow plows to push the snow over from the parking lot.
I thought Andy, Phil or I got a pic of a piece of equipment in a precarious position in that area last winter, but I can't find it in my photos.

IMG_8228.jpeg

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
For those who are not aware of the location. Here is a photo that I marked up on our way back from Carson City.
Taken through a windshield so not super crisp but you get the idea.
The purple arrow points to the Slide Side access road coming in.
The red line is the ravine the car went down.
Part of the reason this area doesn't have gaurdrails is because its an active place for snow plows to push the snow over from the parking lot.
I thought Andy, Phil or I got a pic of a piece of equipment in a precarious position in that area last winter, but I can't find it in my photos.

View attachment 208099
There’s more than one old car down the ravine off Old Donner Pass Road between I-80 and Sugar Bowl. I see them when I ride my bike up that stretch, and they always give me chills. Not sure why the cars are just left there.

Tony

tseeb
Skier
Thought I should share

Rare Copies Of 'Squallywood' Being Sold To Fundraise For Robb Gaffney's Family

which includes "All proceeds will go straight to Robb and his family as they continue pushing through his cancer battle."

When I followed the Instagram linked in the article, I found Scott Gaffney post that he skied Palisades July 22 butt (not buck) naked. His runs included North Bowl, National Chute, Mainline Pocket, The Funnel and The Attic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online