• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada 2022-2023 Tahoe Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The snow at Alpine is good but there's not much of it. Pro suggestion: unless you're a masochist I'd stay away for the remainder of the season. The choke points are VERY narrow and with a huge crowd it will be pretty dicey.
20230630_075959.jpg

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
With only one lane in the corral on Summit, I am wondering how far up the lift line will go. I recall the mess on Shirley a few years back, this will be worse. I know a few that will be eBiking in. S-M-R-T.

textrovert

Reelin' in the years
Skier
At Alpine today morning. Upper mountain is still surprisingly good.

WROD and very thin cover at the lower sections, especially back to the base/chair.

No issues with parking today. Got in at 8:30am and went straight to Subway area. Closest to the lodge I've been all season. :roflmao:

Clips from today-

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
At Alpine today morning. Upper mountain is still surprisingly good.

WROD and very thin cover at the lower sections, especially back to the base/chair.

No issues with parking today. Got in at 8:30am and went straight to Subway area. Closest to the lodge I've been all season. :roflmao:

Clips from today-
How did the reservatoin system work out?

textrovert

Reelin' in the years
Skier
How did the reservatoin system work out?
We got in at 8:30am -- the main Alpine parking still had plenty of spots and there were yellow jackets checking reservations for that. But we turned into Subway lot and there was no one checking. It was pretty empty too. When we left at 11am, they were checking folks coming into Subway lot and the main lot was full. Overall, no issues with the reservation system. Seemed less cars than usual though. Have to see how it works in "peak" conditions.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
We got in at 8:30am -- the main Alpine parking still had plenty of spots and there were yellow jackets checking reservations for that. But we turned into Subway lot and there was no one checking. It was pretty empty too. When we left at 11am, they were checking folks coming into Subway lot and the main lot was full. Overall, no issues with the reservation system. Seemed less cars than usual though. Have to see how it works in "peak" conditions.
Maybe because reservations scared many away. They may be shooting themselves in the foot :huh: .

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Maybe because reservations scared many away. They may be shooting themselves in the foot :huh: .
Didn’t scare me away today lol. Ignored the rez needed signs & since not skiing just drove up like I owned the place. Prepared for uturn but not stopped & saw no yellow jackets. Parked across from ski patrol/instructors bldg. just had to check out the snow scene as I was AWOL for too long. Skiing was straight to lifts, granted lower area near lifts was farmed WROD’s
1/3 had left 1/3 were still skiing 1/3 were just hanging out at the party. Saw plenty of bikini tops & shorts. Left a half hr later via Subway exit where for strange reason staff was checking incoming cars.

then headed to Palasades base for free tram ride ($54 without Ikon) to check snow.
KT-22 fully covered but all snow below Gold Coast building was gone. GC & Sibo could still run with minimal snow farming. Then left dodge for home as Trish said it was too hot to do anything ! 85deg plus !

Last edited:

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Thanks to Palisades for a great season! I got to ski on opening day and on closing day this season. Some excellent days in between. Wonderful season!

The parking reservation avoidance buses today to Alpine were easy. Too easy maybe because Alpine was VERY busy (the Alpine lot was full). The line wrapped all around the base area up to Summit chair. Actually it moved smoothly - I might have been a couple longer lines during the season. We looked uphill at the merging line and it looked longer! They said that the 500 free Freedom Fest shirts were gone and the 2000 retail shirts had also sold out (I paid for mine on Saturday - now that doesn't look like a stupid move). No matter how you count it, there were a lot of people enjoying skiing on the Fourth!

The snow was very fun. Alpine's Palisades were quite fun with nice edgable snow becoming fun soft bumps as the slope mellowed. Sweet bumps off of Roundhouse to savor. The snow was fantastic spring snow.

The snow was all gone 500 meters from the lift. The last bit of the return was a hike in the mud. Nobody was complaining but the lines did get much smaller quickly. Good for Palisades for letting us ski the 90% of the hill that was covered and trusting us to figure out the rest.

I don't know if Alterra made a huge profit this year. But judging by the full parking lots and the good vibes on the hill, they brought a lot of enjoyment to a lot of people. That is a worthy result! Thanks for a great season!

Eric

skiace84

Putting on skis
Skier
And maybe maybe the 4th isn't consider to be a skiing holiday by as many as we thought? More traditional 4th celebrations tend to be a distraction from skiing.
Definitely not true. There is unquestionably a novelty attraction to skiing the July 4 holiday specifically (notice the costumes!). There 's argument to avoid it and ski the days right before it not only for the lesser crowd but because the summer snow really gets beat up by the excess traffic. On the rare occasions like 2011 when Snowbird or A-Basin run on July 4 with only one chair for skiing, the lift lines look insane.

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
Regarding the mountains still open, are they still honoring ICON passes?

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Regarding the mountains still open, are they still honoring ICON passes?
No one in the Tahoe region is still open for skiing & riding. Palisades/Alpine Meadows closed July 4th.
Mammoth is still open & is an Ikon resort still honoring 22/23 passes as well as 23/24 passes AFAIK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online

• dbostedo
    Asst. Gathermeister
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid