• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2016-17 Utah Weather & Conditions

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Day 7, and last day that is. How sad, but we had a blast.

It never stopped dropping snow/rain/whatever that was. At times it looked like little corn size balls. Was it snowing corn?

Anyways, runs at Deer Valley were awesome early on. Any untracked you could get was heavenly. No joke about Utah's powder.

An hour later my son quit since it never stopped precipitating, and everything was tracked up:

20170408_112822.jpg
20170408_112836.jpg
20170408_112830.jpg

So, with my ski buddy out, I didn't want to ping @Lorenzzo as it was clear thay there was plenty of powder in the bowls and other areas where I shouldn't probably go yet.

So I took a little break:
20170408_121215.jpg

I did just one run on Bald Mtn but crashed at the final steep which was really cruddy already. Went back to Flagstaff, had some good runs and joined the family after crashing on crud one more time (this time in Hidden Treasure). Got back to the locker room before lunch and I had everything packed up for the trip.

I had a lot of fun and these crud runs are good for me, but a bit too much risk taking can mean injuries. I think I walked that line reasonably well, today.

I am the airport, already missing the beautiful DV slopes, and the amazing service at the SEL. But hey, life goes on. Time to go back to the job that pays for all of this. Hopefully I can hit Rose next Saturday.

@Lorenzzo : you are an amazing host to the slopes. I'll miss you, man. But I am happy that next gathering will be in Utah.

Last edited:

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
So, @Mendieta, this was NOT Utah powder today at ALL! But boy, was it fun in the untracked!! The lack of freeze last night mean there was no crust underneath, so the dense snow that fell on top covered everything up and made everything off-piste and untracked pure fun!! I also called it early as the areas that WERE tracked or "groomed" were downright treacherous for someone of my skill set, but it sure was fun on the runs we did do! Glad you had a blast out here! See you next winter!

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
So, @Mendieta, this was NOT Utah powder today at ALL! But boy, was it fun in the untracked!! The lack of freeze last night mean there was no crust underneath, so the dense snow that fell on top covered everything up and made everything off-piste and untracked pure fun!! I also called it early as the areas that WERE tracked or "groomed" were downright treacherous for someone of my skill set, but it sure was fun on the runs we did do! Glad you had a blast out here! See you next winter!

Yeah, it would be great to connect next time! :beercheer:

I am pretty much bound to the family schedule, so I didn't ping you.

I do get that this was not the famous Utah powder. But it was a wet day. Try that in Tahoe. For us, a wet day is impossibly wet and heavy snow (sierra cement). It is still a million times better than no snow, but this was so much fluffier.

And yes, that's the word: treacherous. That's how the runs felt to me by 11 am or so ...

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, it would be great to connect next time! :beercheer:

I am pretty much bound to the family schedule, so I didn't ping you.

I do get that this was not the famous Utah powder. But it was a wet day. Try that in Tahoe. For us, a wet day is impossibly wet and heavy snow (sierra cement). It is still a million times better than no snow, but this was so much fluffier.

And yes, that's the word: treacherous. That's how the runs felt to me by 11 am or so ...
Gathering next season? I'm assuming you'll be here for that?
Today is going to be fantastic, if the reports of 14" in the past 24 hours are true...I've got my retro one piece fart bag ready to go, hope I don't freeze in it, because I can't imagine it's that warm, and it's cold and blustery out there!
:yahoo:

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Gathering next season? I'm assuming you'll be here for that?
Today is going to be fantastic, if the reports of 14" in the past 24 hours are true...I've got my retro one piece fart bag ready to go, hope I don't freeze in it, because I can't imagine it's that warm, and it's cold and blustery out there!
:yahoo:

Ha, it'll be Black or White. Whether it overlaps with Spring Break for my kids or not, sigh. Here is some hoping :crossfingers:

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Yep, yesterday did NOT suck! And, the snow dried out more and more as the day went on. Today should be AMAZING.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Last update to my beautiful trip. Our flight was one of the many that were canceled:

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2017/04/10/delta-dealing-with-backlog-after-flight-disruptions/

Complete Chaos. Delta, completely dropped the ball. We wound up 5 hours late at a different Bay Area airport. Taxi to the correct airport, with the skis and all, and then drove home, half dead. No fun at all!

Enjoy the beautiful slopes, my friends! If nothing else, do it for me :)

Last edited:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Last update to my beautiful trip. Our flight was one of the many that were canceled:

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2017/04/10/delta-dealing-with-backlog-after-flight-disruptions/

Complete Chaos. Delta, completely dropped the ball. We wound up 5 hours late at a different Bay Area airport. Taxi to the correct airport, with the skis and all, and then drove home, half dead. No fun at all!

Enjoy the beautiful slopes, my friends! If nothing else, do it for me :)

At least you weren't yoinked off a flight.

TS
Lorenzzo

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This season has turned me into a skiing optimist so I'll ask: What if it snows? If you're on the fence bring the wider ones but I agree with @SBrown that you ought to bring both.

DB Cooper

Putting on skis
Skier
Today snowbird was all time! Went yesterday but stayed on wilbere as Peruvian wasn't opening and the tram line was nuts.

Today, however, was a different story. All the snow that fell yesterday and last night was there for the taking on Peruvian. Ran that all morning until I saw the sign that mineral was open! I must have been one of the first to walk through the tunnel because when I got to the other side I had fresh lines all the way back down to the lift! It was very special. Couldn't ask for a better day to end my season on.

blackke17

I'd rather be at Alta
Skier
Skied the Bird yesterday in shorts and a windbreaker. Temps in the 60’s made for one slushy outing! Some of the deepest slush I’ve skied in. you could tell there was no overnight freeze up there. I rode my Armada ARV106’s but found myself wishing I had something fatter on at times. Off the groomers you really sunk in it if you turned to hard. Controlled slides was the recipe of the day . Still fun! More and more rocks are showing themselves every day . Baldy was looking pretty barren with a lot of dirt showing. Do believe yesterday was the last day for Peruvian Chair so we are down to the Tram, Little Cloud and Mineral .

blackke17

I'd rather be at Alta
Skier
well its a month later and im still skiing the Bird. My previous post said that was some of the deepest slush i have ever skied. well yesterday topped them all. Temps at the base of the mountain from tram club patio said 82 degrees! I skied Line SIck day 110's . really good light and wide ski for the conditions. laps on Little cloud were fun .still some good coverage. but there is a dirt spot in the middle of Regulator Johnson you have to navigate around. To get back down to base of the tram we skied the Cirque traverse from Little Cloud. we had to click out and hike up some rock/dirt to ski the Mid Cirque. we were really pushing the slush down the steeps! in all we had to take the skis off 4-5 times and hike on the way down to get all the way back to the Tram club. according to the birds website we lost 10 inches of base over the weekend. its going fast! the runoff creek is a raging river. Fathers day is the announced closing day but we'll see if that happens. mid 90's in SLC all week. Ill be there as long as the lifts are spinning.

6-4-17Bird.jpg

BobMc

In line for the tram
Skier
Wow, I'm surprised the Cirque was open! I'll be there next weekend, unfortunately paying the $5.00 for parking each day. I just hope they don't get too used to getting $5.00 out of each parking spot and start thinking about that for the winter.

blackke17

I'd rather be at Alta
Skier
thanks for the heads up bob. hope you got out there yesterday ..

we made it up there and had a blast. as you can see by this pic from the line at Little Cloud where all the skiing was being done it was time to shut it down for the summer
IMG_3825.JPG

brewfest was going on but we just brought a few with us and found a great spot to chill for a while and have a cold one
IMG_3833.JPG

the gate to the cirque traverse was still open so we decided to take the last run of the season down the cirque. had to hike alot more this time around to get to the goods.
the cirque itself skied awesome. but we ran out of snow early and had to hike down about the last 1000 feet of vertical . that was a workout!
593 inches and june skiing . great season in Utah! got 52 days in this winter, an all time high and got out healthy. my ski wasn't so lucky !!
IMG_3830.JPG

Sponsor

Staff online