• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2016-17 Utah Weather & Conditions

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We have white mountains above 7,500 feet this morning thanks to the remnants of an Asian typhoon.

TS
Lorenzzo

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This thread so far is a sad testament to warm temps and a late start here in UT. Alta is forecasting a 12/2 opening and other resorts have delayed opening. BUT.... extended change beginning this evening. Cold enough to get some WRODs open soon and precippy enough to hopefully get a real base over the next couple of weeks.

To help in this cause I brought in the X-mas tree which aside from making the cats happy produces good karma. You have to make Santa want to care.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Snowbasin opening date is now TBD. My positive thinking says that once things kick in, this season is going to be insanely good!
The warm storm that just passed over, grr to the warmth. It rained ALL night at 4900'. Had that been snow...

TS
Lorenzzo

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It's not a drought until there are vans filled with Stock Analysts inspecting PCMR.

TS
Lorenzzo

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Drove up to Snowbird for dinner at the Cliff tonite. The snow guns were going off like crazy. They only got say 2" form the last storm.

I'd post photos of the new carpeting in the lobby of the Cliff but you'd really have to experience it in person.

lonewolf210

Jake K.
Skier
Man I'm really hoping these storms are a persistent pattern change otherwise my trip the week before xmas might have to be a mountain biking one instead of skiing. I guess all else fails I could break out the saucer boy costume...

TS
Lorenzzo

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
A local weather guy just came on during the Utah football game and said: "Large storm on its way tonight...the question is inches or feet..."

Phelmut

German for Northeasterner
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
WSF says feet in the next 48 hours. Not much later in the week, though.

TS
Lorenzzo

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It's snowing really nicely here in town and it's expected to continue through the day. Tomorrow and Wednesday Brighton, Friday Alta and over the weekend DV...in case anyone wants to meet up.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
It's snowing really nicely here in town and it's expected to continue through the day. Tomorrow and Wednesday Brighton, Friday Alta and over the weekend DV...in case anyone wants to meet up.
Aw man, I have a free pass to Brighton, but I have to go into work tomorrow to train on doing the snow report, and Wednesday is early out day at school. I would have loved to have met you there!
Snowbasin is slated to open later this week. I think they are just so far behind getting the base laid down because of the warmth, they are moving snow around like crazy to get things ready. I'm hoping with all this snow, it'll be more than just one WROD. Super excited! Guess last weekend was my final weekend of freedom!

TS
Lorenzzo

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Aw man, I have a free pass to Brighton, but I have to go into work tomorrow to train on doing the snow report, and Wednesday is early out day at school. I would have loved to have met you there!
Snowbasin is slated to open later this week. I think they are just so far behind getting the base laid down because of the warmth, they are moving snow around like crazy to get things ready. I'm hoping with all this snow, it'll be more than just one WROD. Super excited! Guess last weekend was my final weekend of freedom!
Too bad it should be fun for early season. There will be other chances although I have two freebies to Brighton and after this week they won't be in my rotation. At some point I'll be Snowbasining.

By the way… It's totally dumping here.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Too bad it should be fun for early season. There will be other chances although I have two freebies to Brighton and after this week they won't be in my rotation. At some point I'll be Snowbasining.

By the way… It's totally dumping here.

Cool! I can free ski on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Weekends will be out for free skiing, I'm pretty sure.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Reports of 'bout 3 Feet of fresh in LCC.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Heading up to Snowbasin to get trained on doing the snow report (fun!) Maybe I'll get an actual snow amount to input TODAY. They received way more than the 11" that was last reported. I got 10" at my house at 4900 feet, and I was TOLD the received closer to 20" at 8000 feet.
Regardless, the mountain looks very nice dressed entirely in white this morning! Opening day is Thursday, which I expect an official announcement to go out sometime today.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Snowbasin's opening day was absolutely fantastic! Well worth the week wait. 1000 acres open, so essentially everything in the middle section of the mountain. Off-piste was ski at your own risk, but it was open and powdery.
15203159_1797490100500807_7854193980618742243_n.jpg

It really sucks to get paid to ski.
15241136_10211590635307804_6441987703741762133_n.jpg

Kyle

Out on the slopes
Skier
Wow! That looks great. It's been a long time since opening day was not confined to a couple of trails.

Was it crowded? Do you know if they are planning to have more open tomorrow?

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Wow! That looks great. It's been a long time since opening day was not confined to a couple of trails.

Was it crowded? Do you know if they are planning to have more open tomorrow?
No lift lines, crowds dispensed pretty darn well because of how much off-piste was skiable. I doubt more will open until a couple more feet of snow fall. Seriously, the amount of terrain open is amazing for opening day. It was fantastic out there.