• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dean_spirito

Freestyle Ski Coach
Skier
Anyone have thoughts on the conditions around Lake Dillon? Thinking of camping at the grounds there since they opened last weekend and then skiing A-Basin Sunday and want to make sure theres no snow down that low before we drive up.

Kim there were TONS of people camping down there over the holiday. I think with the warm, sunny weather we've had you should have no problem camping by the lake. Sounds fun!

JMD

Getting on the lift
Skier
Welcome to June. The Basin skied OK for the first two hours today. Snow started out soft on the groomers and got quite slushy/sticky. I'll ski tomorrow morning and make it my last ski day of this season. It has been a very good year.:golfclap::golfclap::golfclap:

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
It definitely got slushy, but we moved lower as it got a bit sticky up high and hit the good slush, and then went up higher for a brief killer corn cycle when the sun was full on for about 30 minutes.

The fantastic piling Sundance slush.

IMG_5982.JPG

The slow ride to brief killer corn.

IMG_6046.JPG

Stopped on the top of Powerline and just kept smearing...like a mini 2" deep wet slide...instant changes as the sun appeared...

IMG_6048.JPG

And clouds and another cycle...

IMG_6051.JPG

Not bad for 3:00 pm after a 10:15 start...a great day of cloud and sun cycles where each run was different.

It's a good thing I only take pictures here...

IMG_5994.JPG

Last edited:

MT Skull

Look at me, I can ski with my feet together!
Skier
Getting coffee'd up now. Hoping for mid-day nuclear slush-bumps on the "Rod"! (not to be confused with the WROD)

Reactions: nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Getting coffee'd up now. Hoping for mid-day nuclear slush-bumps on the "Rod"! (not to be confused with the WROD)

Looks overcast like yesterday on the webcams. Hope the RodBumps go GMO for you.

We got down to an icy base in (very limited) spots on the lower mountain just pushing the granular around - the base is still refrigerated from underneath. Very limited, but had a "weeeeeeeeeeee" factor when relying on edgeable slush right around the runouts to BMX.

Looking at the forecast, the melt at the base and talking to an employee at the ticket counter on Tue, next weekend is most likely it for the season unless something drastic changes.

It's supposed to be mid to upper 50's starting on Sunday.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Well, folks, this weekend is a wrap just as I was thinking they'd make it one more based on Ramrod not being harvested yet.

IMG_6126.PNG

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Plenty of snow up there, at least another month of skiing if they really wanted to.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Plenty of snow up there, at least another month of skiing if they really wanted to.

I heard a few weeks ago they weren't planning on opening longer due to the amount of work that needs to be done on lifts and stuff before next season. Don't need the summer any shorter than it needs to be.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The snow wasn't the problem. There is more base now than on any closing weekend in quite a while, I was told. Going by snow alone, and preferences of the A-Basin folks too, another weekend at least would probably have been added. There was a lot of indecision right up until the end, apparently, until a cable problem was discovered.

I was in the parking lot this morning before 7 am, and an employee there said the A Bay brass had just informed them fifteen minutes earlier that definitely this weekend was it, the end.

They'd had another meeting this morning to re-evaluate the results of Poma lift technicians' inspections of the lifts this past few days (Wed and Thurs). Apparently the A-Bay lift techs earlier this past week had detected an "unraveling" problem with one of the main cables and had called in the experts at Poma, who came out right away: their conclusion was that the cable needs to be "splice" repaired quickly, so they advised closing for repairs. Unsafe.

That work will apparently be done during the next two weeks, during which time uphill climbing/skinning will probably be prohibited, I was told. Once the repairs are done, the employee I talked to thought uphill access might open back up.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
P.S. I was at the Bay today, Friday, and an early chill kept the snow firm longer. A bit of overcast midday helped too.

The base was indeed deeper than usual on closing weekend: no rocks to avoid, pretty much.

A lot of upper lift terrain still open but ungroomed, at least on Friday.

And not crowded.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Ok, the lift repair bit makes sense, because the snow is there to make it one more weekend (not two). They haven't even harvested the Ramrod bumps yet.

I was there with my youngest son and we skied 9:00 to the bell @ 2:30. The sun cycling and cool breeze in the morning helped the off piste, which was briefly really nice, and areas that got skied hard like Lenawee Parks converted to generally unsticky slushy mash. Never crowded, maybe waited at Lenawee for 2 mins around 10:30-11:00.

The groomers were consistently the best as usual this time of year and it was mostly fast and the slush deepened as the day went on. Reveal revealed and a father and son team worked to open up the first trough. One of us displayed how not to go about it (with a nice save :D).

IMG_6129.JPG
IMG_6149.PNG IMG_6155.JPG IMG_6156.JPG IMG_6159.JPG IMG_6166.PNG IMG_6167.PNG IMG_6183.JPG
IMG_6196.JPG

All in all an excellent day. Bummer to lose that extra weekend. Also saw @Doug Briggs and @MT Skull, but not @ski otter 2 (or maybe did...).

Last edited:

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Got to make some turns with @RachelV :beercheer:

Awesome closing day. Pics at some point...

I saw a ton of photos on facebook today from my non-pug friends! Must have been so fun. I couldn't make it dammit and I'm sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online