• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Ok, back to the weather, which is really good for late May as we stay under cool NW flow with small storms rolling through consistently over the next week or so.

IMG_5761.PNG

Also, 3" last night at A-Basin and there is a jet streak running down the spine of the CO Rockies today - could see up to a quick convective 5" this afternoon if the parameters come together.

We may hit June without much in the way of melting temps and a mid-mountain base near 70".

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Not sure why but for whatever reason flat light at A Basin bothers me more than any other place. This past Saturday morning was really bad for me. I've never had vertigo before but I'm pretty sure I had it Saturday. Could have been a combination of the long drive back with too much coffee and not enough water causing dehydration. I tried taking my goggles off put it was snowing too hard up high and in Zuma. I had to stop 5 times coming down from the ridge to BML. I sat in BML about 45 minutes drinking water before I felt well enough to ski down to the base. Never had that happen before and never want to experience it again. Snow was pretty good though ogsmile although the snow was pretty good at Mammoth too.

@nay along with the mountains getting even more snow, just saw a quick weather update and it said the west side and down to your area and CR could see snow late today and tonight.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
A-Basin's flat light is bugging me a bit more, too. I think some of it is there is too much half-winter for May and you can't rely on just pointing 'em in variable conditions. Not that I don't like the late season base building.

Today was more of the same noon to 2:15. Frozen with Marie's sticky mash on top, Slurpee(ish) down low. Stuck with 7Eleven for viz and much better snow. Hey, it's late May and we are seriously extending our season.

IMG_5764.JPG IMG_5765.JPG IMG_5768.JPG

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Not sure why but for whatever reason flat light at A Basin bothers me more than any other place. This past Saturday morning was really bad for me. I've never had vertigo before but I'm pretty sure I had it Saturday. Could have been a combination of the long drive back with too much coffee and not enough water causing dehydration. I tried taking my goggles off put it was snowing too hard up high and in Zuma. I had to stop 5 times coming down from the ridge to BML. I sat in BML about 45 minutes drinking water before I felt well enough to ski down to the base. Never had that happen before and never want to experience it again. Snow was pretty good though ogsmile although the snow was pretty good at Mammoth too.

@nay along with the mountains getting even more snow, just saw a quick weather update and it said the west side and down to your area and CR could see snow late today and tonight.

There's just not that much tree skiing or even tree-adjacent skiing at A Basin - maybe that's why?

That'll be different next season.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Beavers will change the flat light issue in a big way. And will be flooded by EpicHordes.

There were no lines today, despite both lower and upper lots full. I think Loveland's Leftovers now haunt A-Basin.

aerojack

Putting on skis
Skier
More it won't ski as well as you are hoping snow.

View attachment 24616

#notmelting

I checked in a few weeks back since I have to be in denver towards the end of week starting June 5, coming from the east. Since I am determined to ski, I am currently scheduled to fly into Reno, hit Mammoth for 2.5 days, then fly back to Denver. It would be way more convenient for me if I could just ski Abasin and skip the extra travel. Also would like to scope it out since I've never been. Checked Al's blog, but still no word on anything past June 4. Any word on the street for those of you skiing how long this run is gonna go???

As a flat lander, I don't need anything spectacular, just lifts turning during the week. While Mammoth sounds awesome, it will be a bit hectic and tiring to get there!

NonNativeRado

Astonishingly Mediocre
Skier
25" in five days... and the snow stake looks like this... and growing... with almost all of it coming after 4:00 PM.

Snow Stake.JPG

Weather looks good for keeping snow until next week... then apparently a lot of days with highs in the 50s. I'd love to know what the current 70" compares to the same date in previous years.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
I checked in a few weeks back since I have to be in denver towards the end of week starting June 5, coming from the east. Since I am determined to ski, I am currently scheduled to fly into Reno, hit Mammoth for 2.5 days, then fly back to Denver. It would be way more convenient for me if I could just ski Abasin and skip the extra travel. Also would like to scope it out since I've never been. Checked Al's blog, but still no word on anything past June 4. Any word on the street for those of you skiing how long this run is gonna go???

As a flat lander, I don't need anything spectacular, just lifts turning during the week. While Mammoth sounds awesome, it will be a bit hectic and tiring to get there!

A- Basin does extension weekends after scheduled close, so that's Fri-Sun after the 4th unless something changes.

@NonNativeRado a 70" base with Pali and East Eall both open leading up to Memorial Day weekend is unusual. Typically both would be closed and this would be last weekend for Zuma.

I'd guess that two extension weekends are likely at this point, but it goes in a hurry once the snow stops for good. Here's the Grizzly Peak snotel (at 11K across the valley towards Loveland Pass from A-Basin). This tells the comparative story, except it can't capture the extent to which East Wall wind loaded this season for example.

IMG_5781.PNG

Still, it's pretty obvious at this point the effect of persistent cool temps and snow - at a minimum it forestalls the cliff.

Last edited:

Jellybeans1000

Getting off the lift
Industry Insider
We may hit June without much in the way of melting temps and a mid-mountain base near 70".
Looks that way. I checked the long term weather model (EC Monthly), which shows widespread below freezing temperatures in the Colorado mountain areas in late June (not that is highly accurate). What a weird season! CFS shows much colder than average temperatures in it's latest model in July. Interesting to see how it pans out.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

THey just announced that they will reopen 9-11 June. But not open during the week.

Reactions: nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Looks that way. I checked the long term weather model (EC Monthly), which shows widespread below freezing temperatures in the Colorado mountain areas in late June (not that is highly accurate). What a weird season! CFS shows much colder than average temperatures in it's latest model in July. Interesting to see how it pans out.

Thanks - I've wondered if we might end up in a cool pattern given there is still good storm energy in the overall pattern. It snowed at my place @7,400 ft again last night. Not much as it also rained, but we probably got a half inch of liquid from a system that really hadn't been in the medium range forecast at all. Time will tell.

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I am currently scheduled to fly into Reno, hit Mammoth for 2.5 days, then fly back to Denver. It would be way more convenient for me if I could just ski Abasin and skip the extra travel. While Mammoth sounds awesome, it will be a bit hectic and tiring to get there!

For 2.5 days, comparing snow, flying to Reno and making the drive down and back, right now I would be good with just skiing A Basin compared to Mammoth and wouldn't go if you were talking Squaw. Not sure if it matters to you but you may also want to research what is open at Mammoth.

aerojack

Putting on skis
Skier
THey just announced that they will reopen 9-11 June. But not open during the week.

So close, but so far away! I had pretty much given up a few weeks back, but this storm cycle got my hopes up. Looks like Mammoth it is, cause I gotta have a couple more days!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online