• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Worst. Conditions. Ever.

motogreg

A liftie once told me I was an okay skier....
Skier
Hi all,

I came across some delightful conditions this weekend and I'm wondering how the pros ski them. What I found was large-ish, rained-on, refrozen bulletproof ice bumps with wind-packed fine-grained cement in the troughs. I'm able to pick my way through stuff like this just fine, but I wondered about what the "right" way to ski something like this and make it look good. Thanks for any input!

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
And in this case the right tactic is retreat.

Technique and tactics. They go hand in hand.
Most here discussed skiing technique ad nauseam. OTOH, tactics are seldom discussed.

Instead of calling it as retreat. Which carries a rather negative connotation. I like to think of going around as as a flanking maneuver. Often used in battles to gain a tactical advantage.

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Hi all,

I came across some delightful conditions this weekend and I'm wondering how the pros ski them. What I found was large-ish, rained-on, refrozen bulletproof ice bumps with wind-packed fine-grained cement in the troughs. I'm able to pick my way through stuff like this just fine, but I wondered about what the "right" way to ski something like this and make it look good. Thanks for any input!
Another one of those "I’m keeping my secret stash to myself" posts.

Last edited by a moderator:
TS
M

motogreg

A liftie once told me I was an okay skier....
Skier
Well good to know I wouldn't be the only one to nope out of that trash! :roflmao: I just wondered if a true expert would have some jedi technique to make it look good, ya know?

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Well good to know I wouldn't be the only one to nope out of that trash! :roflmao: I just wondered if a true expert would have some jedi technique to make it look good, ya know?
The true experts just GAVE him the Jedi technique and he didn't even realize it.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
I remember Robin Barnes once told me that “if you want to be the s—-, you got to ski s—-“.

But yeah…. There are times it’s just not worth it.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
It shouldn't be "open" if it's not "skiable". Legit sleet that hasn't been busted down to death cookies should be roped off as closed. If you can't get from the top to the bottom without having to hop 5' + dirt patches it should be closed.

If it's "skiable" I'm in for at least 2-3 runs before bailing.. This includes POURING RAIN.

But, if I have a good reason to believe it's going to be like that before I leave the house I'm staying home instead.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I wonder if covering your bases with sandpaper first would help? :D

Or just stay in the troughs and prepare to ride it out at a very high rate of speed...

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Hi all,

I came across some delightful conditions this weekend and I'm wondering how the pros ski them. What I found was large-ish, rained-on, refrozen bulletproof ice bumps with wind-packed fine-grained cement in the troughs.

Can you send some of it down south? 'Coz that would be a 10x improvement over the mud and rock slush...

to ski something like this and make it look good. Thanks for any input!

Retro skis...and onesies :D

ThomasH

Putting on skis
Skier
"Always keep your hat screwed on real tight...
Well, that's one of the tricks that you must employ
If you wanna be a cowboy"

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
I skied at Mad River Glen with a girl/woman I used too ski with a lot during the late 70. It had rained and she took me into the woods. My edges were sharp but it was so slick that I couldn't get bite. So we went to the Chute and oh baby it was the worst I have ever been down it. She skied it like it was packed power. Those conditions were down right dangerous, but I was glad to ski it since it gave me perspective - to this day. But had I known there is no way I would have done that.

In 1977 she was a blue skier at best. She got better! This was 1983.

The rest of the day we skied the groomed trails, the ones with less angle. They were fine.

I don't ski in the rain, or the very cold days.

Last edited:

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I skied at Mad River Glen with a girl/woman I used too ski with a lot during the late 70. It had rained and she took me into the woods.
Now come on. You open a story that well you gotta finish it properly.

Like, "And we are still married." Or, "How we ended up back at the car I don't remember clearly, but at one point we were definitely in stocking feet, carrying our skis and boots through the snow." Or, "When the ambulance finally arrived it was just a white and red VW microbus owned by one of the patrollers. They had to take all the guy's sap buckets out before I'd fit in the back."

Sponsor