• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Wintersteiger Jupiter -- For an out of this world tune.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
It has been brought up mor than once and by myself included. Training is a must with these machines and I will say that I know Wintersteiger includes, or at least has available, extensive training with their machines and specifically the Jupiter. I know the Bobo's team has been to the Wintersteiger in Salt Lake City where the video and images were from that I took.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Not a fan of radial tunes. I don’t like the feeling of the middle biting before the tip. (That’s base bevel variance, not edge.)If it stops shops from seriously detuning tips and tails so they can never be recovered, fine.

But all in all, this machine is a big yawn. Who cares about fancy structure for recreational alpine skis? It’s a shiny object to distract people.

Is there some sort of feedback loop that the machine has to check itself, mostly on the base flatness? Until they come out with that, these machines are just making tuning more expensive and or putting shops at serious debt risk. Everything about the machines are expensive, like the grinding stone, which wears out, software upgrades, service.

I’d love to see the real economics of these, because they’re convincing shops they’ll make money with them. Seems like we’re getting into farm machinery territory.

I guess shops don’t have much of a choice these days edp with little reliable experienced labor. Oh well.

Playing the role of Cap't Happy again?

Shops still in business are plenty aware of the economics of a new machine. Top end machines have been at farm machinery prices for a long time.

And of all people, you should know that the machines are still very much dependent on an operator that knows what they're seeing, how the machine functions, how skis work on snow, and most importantly, know their customers.

Don't worry, we'll all be skiing again soon.

:beercheer:

James

Out There
Instructor
Playing the role of Cap't Happy again?

Shops still in business are plenty aware of the economics of a new machine. Top end machines have been at farm machinery prices for a long time.

And of all people, you should know that the machines are still very much dependent on an operator that knows what they're seeing, how the machine functions, how skis work on snow, and most importantly, know their customers.

Don't worry, we'll all be skiing again soon.

:beercheer:
Nah. Just buy the machine, hire a monkey, it’ll be fine. That’s what the machine is for. No mention of operators.

Clearly you don’t appreciate the dramatic difference variable side edge can make for your instructees. They wouldn’t even need you after getting a tune from that machine!
Plus, they can match their base grind to their winter tire tread pattern! Christmas comes early. Just brilliant.

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
Nah. Just buy the machine, hire a monkey, it’ll be fine. That’s what the machine is for. No mention of operators.

Clearly you don’t appreciate the dramatic difference variable side edge can make for your instructees. They wouldn’t even need you after getting a tune from that machine!
Plus, they can match their base grind to their winter tire tread pattern! Christmas comes early. Just brilliant.
I hear that if you combine a variable side edge with a Skizee the skis will ski themselves lol

FYI these are now a real product and only $4999 CDN which is a bargain given the current exchange rates lol

Scotty I.

I only care about the graphics
Skier
I hear that if you combine a variable side edge with a Skizee the skis will ski themselves lol

FYI these are now a real product and only $4999 CDN which is a bargain given the current exchange rates lol

Who says money can't buy happiness? I know a golf course where this thing would be amazing!

Toddski13

Wintersteiger/Hotronics
Manufacturer
SkiTalk Sponsor
Yeah, ok.
How about mentioning how expensive this drama generator is, $500-700k depending on configuration?
You’re dramatically overstating what it takes to get into one of these machines. Can they get to $500-$700k? Sure. But you’d really be surprised at what that takes and how many are sold globally over $500k. The vast majority are sold well below that. And while I don’t disagree for one second about the need for quality operators, I can speak firsthand to the effort that is included in every sale to help each and every shop that buys one to develop competent staff so that everything runs well, efficiently, and with a quality output.

dovski

Skier
You’re dramatically overstating what it takes to get into one of these machines. Can they get to $500-$700k? Sure. But you’d really be surprised at what that takes and how many are sold globally over $500k. The vast majority are sold well below that. And while I don’t disagree for one second about the need for quality operators, I can speak firsthand to the effort that is included in every sale to help each and every shop that buys one to develop competent staff so that everything runs well, efficiently, and with a quality output.
I think challenge arises when these shops have turnover and the new management does not know any better or intentionally cuts corners to save a few bucks. This also applies to what happens when a shop with one of these machines goes out of business and another shop picks it up on the cheap during the liquidation. In both cases you end up with a machine that does not get properly or regularly maintained and operators who are not properly trained. That stone gets damaged or goes out of balance and the machine starts to eat skis.

Also fully agree with the above comment these machines have various modules and configurations, the most basic of which go for well below $500K. Truthfully I have only seen the full setup with the auto-loader and all the bells and whistles in a few places that tune an incredibly high volume of skis every week, for most shops these capabilities are not needed and price aside would not justify the space needed in the store for a full setup like this.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
I think challenge arises when these shops have turnover and the new management does not know any better or intentionally cuts corners to save a few bucks. This also applies to what happens when a shop with one of these machines goes out of business and another shop picks it up on the cheap during the liquidation. In both cases you end up with a machine that does not get properly or regularly maintained and operators who are not properly trained. That stone gets damaged or goes out of balance and the machine starts to eat skis.

Also fully agree with the above comment these machines have various modules and configurations, the most basic of which go for well below $500K. Truthfully I have only seen the full setup with the auto-loader and all the bells and whistles in a few places that tune an incredibly high volume of skis every week, for most shops these capabilities are not needed and price aside would not justify the space needed in the store for a full setup like this.

We're very fortunate that we have some great machines manned by people who are trained and have a lot of experience in the greater Seattle area.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
James is on a roll of late. Hopefully the season will start soon. :roflmao:

dovski

Skier
We're very fortunate that we have some great machines manned by people who are trained and have a lot of experience in the greater Seattle area.
Yes Sturtevants has a great tune shop with a relatively new and very well maintained Montana.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
Yes Sturtevants has a great tune shop with a relatively new and very well maintained Montana.

Currently season 3 I think.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
But do they have trained operators?
As said earlier, when you buy a new machine, it's pretty hard not to have trained staff. There's a lot of training and a crew from the company does the install and set up. These machines are not available from IKEA and Amazon prime. There's a reason these machines cost 350k plus, and it's not the 'easy to assemble' instructions in the box.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
Wintersteiger includes training for any shop that buys a Jupiter.

@Philpug - not trying to be pessimistic,.. I would love to think all the operators are fully trained. but what I find is the full time year around team are trained, but some the season staff may not have the KSA’s (knowledge, skills & abilities) to properly operate these machines (not just the Jupiter).

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
@Philpug - not trying to be pessimistic,.. I would love to think all the operators are fully trained. but what I find is the full time year around team are trained, but some the season staff may not have the KSA’s (knowledge, skills & abilities) to properly operate these machines (not just the Jupiter).

Believe us, NO ONE who's invested that kind of money is going to allow anyone to touch that investment without training. FWI probably not W, I've been witness to the process with a new Montana machine.

Sponsor

Staff online