• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Gear Winter Dog Walks - XC/Approach/Snowshoes

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm considering a XC ski set up, an approach ski, or snow shoes for afternoon walks with the dog in the woods. I'm looking for some recommendations, and experiences with different options that would suit my needs. I have access to an old (i.e. unmaintained) cross-country ski trail network, and would like something to make my travels on that terrain better. It's overall pretty mellow, with some ups, downs, twists, and turns. I've taken my AT skis with skins on the trails and had a good time, but was considering cross country skis to get more glide, especially when on flats or going downhill. I've also hiked the trails with snow boots when the snow is firm or semi-packed down from other people.

Brings me to my options:
1. Cross country skis... From some brief research, I think I would be looking for a backcountry, Nordic touring ski. Something with enough girth to make it through fresh snow on ungroomed tracks. Downside might be the boots. It's an extra expense, and how are cross-country ski boots to walk around in? There is a short walk to the trails, maybe 1/2 mile-ish. I know very very little about this part of the ski world, so feel free to school me on this topic.
2. An approach ski. Something like the Black Diamond Glidelite or maybe the Marquette Backcountry Ski (we all recall the Backcountry debacle that they caused).
3. Just get a pair of snowshoes and be done with it. Probably the cheapest solution, but may not provide the "fun" factor I'm hoping for. Certainly nice for a walk in the woods though.

Thoughts on these three options for some non-downhill winter fun? Examples of the trails, and dog below

IMG_3433.jpg
DSC_1422.JPG

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
XC boots tend to be less than great to walk in, although it does depend on the exact fit and boot construction. The issue is the toe (either 75mm duckbill or NNN toe bar) sticking out in front of your toe, and so, when you rock onto the toe at the end of your stride, the toes get squished upwards. This is only on hard surfaces like roads. In snow or grass it’s not so noticeable. Still, 1/2 mile should be fine.

Are you planning on doing any other things with this gear?

As far as I can tell, those Glidelite/Backcountry skis won’t have much more glide than narrow AT skis with fast skins.
Their biggest benefit is their short length, for use in tighter, steeper terrain.

If they are old XC trails, you don’t need much ‘beef’ in your XC gear. Get something under 67mm wide at the tip that way you can take them to groomed trails some time too.
As long as you are staying off ice, you don’t need metal edges.
Maybe get some combi boots to give you some more support and control for the uneven snow and trail surface. (Combi or ‘Skiathlon’ boots have a tall, firm cuff like skate ski boots, but flexible soles like classic ski boots).
This can al be pretty cheap. You don’t need high end skis for this. Used would be fine. You won’t be making turns (except wedge and step turns) in any Nordic gear on ungroomed trails anyway.

Watch out which boots/bindings you get, there are 5:
  • NNN, most common. 2 grooves in boot sole
  • NNN BC, same but beefier, for Nordic backountry. Less boot and binding choice, but beefier boots with rugged lugged soles.
  • SNS, 1 groove in sole , almost discontinued, better to avoid unless you get some nearly free boots
  • SNS BC aka Salomon XA(dventure), same as above but beefier. Same thoughts.
  • 3 pin 75mm. Duckbill boots.

Or what about a fatbike?

Last edited:

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Fish scales? I don't know much about them but have considered for laps around my road, which is a mile with some up and down, too much up without skins and too much down with skins. I haven't gotten past "considered" because I don't really like laps.

TS
Lauren

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks @Slim for confirming my suspicion on XC boots, and for the advice on what XC gear could be helpful for that type of terrain.

I do live on the east coast...so ice is going to happen, but I can always use microspikes for those times. There are a few short steeper pitches on these trails that may require some turning as well, but nothing huge. I'll take a look at combi boots, see what I can dig up for info.

Buying another setup for AT wasn't really on my radar, but as you mentioned...approach skis won't have much benefit above a skinny AT setup with a fast skin (my current setup isn't exactly skinny, or fast)...this might be another thing to consider.

For your question on if I'm doing any other things with this gear, it will somewhat depend on what I end up choosing..."walks in the woods" would by the primary purpose.

I have definitely considered the fatbike option, and I think it would be my first choice...but storage is a bit of a problem.

TS
Lauren

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Fish scales? I don't know much about them but have considered for laps around my road, which is a mile with some up and down, too much up without skins and too much down with skins. I haven't gotten past "considered" because I don't really like laps.
Haha...I feel like I'm currently in the "considering" phase, and I will openly admit, I may never get past this stage either. But what you're describing is exactly what I'm experiencing on these trails..."too much up without skins and too much down with skins".

Fish scales? Any links for info?

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Haha...I feel like I'm currently in the "considering" phase, and I will openly admit, I may never get past this stage either. But what you're describing is exactly what I'm experiencing on these trails..."too much up without skins and too much down with skins".

Fish scales? Any links for info?

This is obviously a bigger objective than either of us were "considering," but the description is good.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I would rather ski (in some form) than snowshoe. I have them, and use them for iceclimbing approaches. Ideal in steep, tight, wooded terrain and bichwacking.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Touring xc skis need not be too wide, especially if you will be packing the trail out regularly. There's a bit of a learning process on the downhill.

You can get 75 mm boots with vibram soles. 1/2 mile is easy. You dont want or need anything too beefy. I got these for $30 when an ems was closing

1635346547420.png

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
When there is snow on the ground 'round here I get out on the local trails on regular xc skis. It's all you need. If the snow is fresh and deep they will not work too well. But once some walkers, or fat bikers, or sled heads have packed things a bit they are fine and will be way more fun than AT or snowshoes.

I think fat bikes don't really go in deep snow either? Yes or no?

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Fishscales or the new XC skis with built in skins. Either would be fine. Fish scales are tougher, but noisy on icy trails, skins are faster.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The biggest issue for trails like the pictures is the uneven surface, so some XC boots with more support would be nice.

@elemmac , what AT boots do you have? If they are lightweight and free striding, you could consider putting some super light tech bindings on some beefy Backcoutry nordic skis, like the Fischer S-Bound series.

Still, that will cost as much as Nordic boots and bindings combined, so no money savings there..

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The biggest issue for trails like the pictures is the uneven surface, so some XC boots with more support would be nice.

@elemmac , what AT boots do you have? If they are lightweight and free striding, you could consider putting some super light tech bindings on some beefy Backcoutry nordic skis, like the Fischer S-Bound series.

Still, that will cost as much as Nordic boots and bindings combined, so no money savings there..
Ya when the trail gets packed icy and rutted its quite a ride. I think its part of the fun and exercise.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If you don’t plan on using them for any groomed XC trails, get something wider and with metal edges.I have some old Fischer S Bounds with Fischer scales and metal edges that are 69mm waist, 99mm tip.
Along with a beefy Salomon XAdventure boot, they are ideal for offer More support on the bumpy stuff like in your pics. I use them for creek skiing and lake touring in deeper snow.

But, they are to wide to fit in the tracks.
This is a friend of mine, using some of the universal bindings with his ice climbing boots.
CD370645-2A5D-4ECC-B1AB-21B7FE675022.jpeg

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

not saying you need Fischer, just an easy overview.

in Fischer speak, ‘crown’ means fish scales. Skintec means built in skins

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
We have an amazing XC area near us that is canine friendly. It sits on the banks of a reservoir. They draw the reservoir down in fall. Once we get into spring the crust cruising on the mud flats and frozen lake surface is amazing. That is my fave with skaters. The canine absolutely loves it, but is gassed after about 90 minutes.

In our community we have 10 miles of trails, which backs up to 1.8 million acres of San Juan NF. On those trails, which are narrow and steep, I am, all about snowshoes.

Keep in mind... Canines getting lacerated with ski edges is a thing.

IMG_0329.JPG

TS
Lauren

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I have a pair of Dalbello Lupos. Not the lightest out there, but nowhere near the heaviest. When I've been out on my touring skis on these trails I remove the tongue to increase the range of motion (which is quite respectable), and leave them at home since I don't need the extra support for intense downhill. The S-bound had caught my eye as a potential option while poking around.

TS
Lauren

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Keep in mind... Canines getting lacerated with ski edges is a thing.
Looks like a gorgeous area! The pup is normally pretty good at staying away while we're moving, but more training will be on the schedule for this season.

TS
Lauren

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

I like how they have "Adventure" in their Purpose drop-down menu.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier

Attachments

• 20201227_131842.jpg
    20201227_131842.jpg
    254.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 20201227_131821.jpg
    20201227_131821.jpg
    486.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 20201227_132825.jpg
    20201227_132825.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 11

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Snowshoes tend to suck on ice, especially ice that started life as 3D or postholed melty snow.

Snowshoes also tend to suck when the pup wants to go downhill and you're tripping over your toes.

Approach skis are like glorified snowshoes if you use cr@p bindings and non-edgeable boots - they will still suck on ice but be marginally better on the down than snowshoes.

I say marginally because with anything short of XC or AT or plastic climbing boots you will be hunting for front/back balance, hunting for a way to pressure the tips, and hunting for edge control that isn't butt english.

Also, approach skis with cr@p bindings and non-edgeable boots totally suck on icy sidehills.

XC skis - Fischer scales are LOUD. Krrr-zip Krr-zip Krrr-zip. Can totally spook a young pup. Rossi, Madshus, Salomon are usually a bit quieter. Skis with skin patches are a lot quieter - but are hyper annoying when they ice up after creek crossings.

SUMMARY: Get decent, edgeable boots (XC, AT, plastic climbing) and whatever slidy platform you want depending on terrain. Or get snowshoes and focus on picking up your feet, fast, often.

Sponsor

Staff online