• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

SierraLuLu

Booting up
Skier
Husband and I bought our first pair of skis this year (husband’s first since childhood), and we’d like to learn how to wax them. We’re both California based so rarely ski super cold.

Skiers, send us your:

-YouTube videos, tips & tricks
- good starter kit or a list of needed items/recommended brands

Thanks!

beginnerskier96

Putting on skis
Skier
Hello!

This is a great sport! You will love it. Have you checked out Deb Armstrong on YouTube or not? Another site user told me about her videos and I recommend them. I also advise taking proper lessons at least for a while so you really can fine tune up your skills and hone your ability at the same time too. Ask the ski resort or check their website for details of skiing lessons etc. What level are you?

Packing tips will vary.

This is what I would pack:

A lipbalm
Books
Clothes for other activities
Granola bars
A flask
Money
First aid kit

offtraildog

Booting up
Skier
I read this thread and found all in info and links I needed .... went sking a couple days ago and the edges and wax worked awesome. Had great experience buying from racewax.com

Shawn C.

Out on the slopes
Skier
Welcome! The thread offtraildog linked is a great place to start.

Waxing your own skis is fun! There are a lot of different brands of ski wax out there. One of the differences is you will see waxes that are hydrocarbon and some that are fluorinated. My advice, as a new ski tuner is to stick with the hydrocarbon waxes. Swix, Toko… any of the major brands will serve you just fine. You can either go with an all purpose wax or get snow temperature specific waxes. You really can keep this very simple or you can really go for it and get more tools. Let us know what your goals are and the great Pugski community will get you hooked up with the right stuff.

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Stuff you need:
Some edge tool so you can use a stone to take off any raised bits of steel edge after hitting a rock. Ignore any divots in the steel edges until it's time for a shop tune. Know the edge angles you have on your skis.
A cheap wax iron from eBay.
I like Hertel Super Hot Sauce universal wax or Dominator Zoom universal wax.
Paper towels.
Heavy rubber bands off asparagus or broccoli to hold the brakes back.
(Optional--plastic scraper and bronze/nylon combination wax brush.)

Heat the wax iron so the wax melts but does not smoke.
Lay the skis bases-up with the brakes held out of the way.
Check the iron cord that it reaches the full length of the skis.
Hold the iron above the skis with the sole vertical.
Hold the edge of the wax bar against the iron sole so wax melts and dribbles on the ski base. Experiment to see how little wax you can use and end up with complete coverage when you iron it out.
Iron the wax so it melts across the ski base. Never stop moving the iron. Don't let the ski get more that just warm.
Fold a paper towel. With the towel in one hand and the iron in the other, re-melt the wax and immediately wipe off the molten wax. Wipe it all off. Let the skis cool.
(Optional--scrape from tip to tail to remove remaining wax, then brush the last of the excess from the base.)
Go skiing. It'll be sticky for the first few feet if you just wipe it with the paper towel, then it'll slide just fine.

There are much more complex way to wax skis that will give superior times out of the starting gate in a race. What is listed above will get you started.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Hello!

This is a great sport! You will love it. Have you checked out Deb Armstrong on YouTube or not? Another site user told me about her videos and I recommend them. I also advise taking proper lessons at least for a while so you really can fine tune up your skills and hone your ability at the same time too. Ask the ski resort or check their website for details of skiing lessons etc. What level are you?

Packing tips will vary.

This is what I would pack:

A lipbalm
Books
Clothes for other activities
Granola bars
A flask
Money
First aid kit

She's asking how to tune her skis. She doesn't need lip balm.

OP, Start Haus has some good videos.

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
In case the videos don't hack it for you, I found attending an REI wax workshop helpful because I could ask questions specific to local conditions, and it was hands-on, so I walked out with waxed skis. I could also ask silly questions like, "So, should I be in a well-ventilated space when I do this?" I can't remember if you're nor cal or so cal, but there are a bunch up north.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I read this thread and found all in info and links I needed .... went sking a couple days ago and the edges and wax worked awesome. Had great experience buying from racewax.com

I'm glad to see my thread continues to help people out! I learned a ton from the people who posted and I'm sure the OP will too.

skiki

Out on the slopes
Skier
I found attending an REI wax workshop helpful because I could ask questions specific to local conditions, and it was hands-on, so I walked out with waxed skis
I was hoping for hands on, or at least close up when I went to my local REI wax workshop. Unfortunately mine was sit in a chair and watch from a distance. But I did still gain good info and was glad I went. I felt confident enough afterwards to get an iron off CL and start doing my own basic waxing.

Sponsor

Staff online