• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Non Region Specific Trip Poll: March 1st Options

Where should I ski in March this year?

• Whitefish

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Schweitzer

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Copper / Breck / Keystone / A-Basin / Loveland

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Tamarack / Brundage

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Crystal Mountain

• Other?

• Total voters

TonyPlush

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm planning my annual solo ski trip, and over the years I've learned that picking Skitalk's brain is an invaluable part of the process. So, thanks in advance for your advice!

I'm looking at a quick 2-3 weekdays of skiing around March 1st. After checking my flight options from Minneapolis, I think I've narrowed it down to these possibilities, in no particular order.

Whitefish: I've been once, 3 years ago, and experienced a legendarily terrible whiteout. (Even by local standards.) But I still had a great time and vowed to return and hopefully see some of the scenery.

This option is always nice contender thanks to convenient, direct flights from Minneapolis. (3 hours of flight time) Last I checked, the Hampton Inn Whitefish still has the free airport shuttle, and the town of Whitefish runs buses to the big mountain, so I can probably skip the rental car entirely.

Speaking of which, I can use Hilton points on that hotel, so this trip will be the cheapest option.

Schweitzer: I went last year, lucked into a 10+ inch powder day, and fell in love with this place. That said, I did just go last year, so maybe variety is the spice of life? Or maybe when you find a good thing, you can stop looking?

This is also the value pick, with a total price tag that comes in about $200-500 cheaper than everything besides Whitefish.

Denver (Summit County): I lived there 8 years ago, but haven't been back in a long time. Mostly because I try to avoid Epic Crowds (Trademarked Term?) like the plague.

In any case, it looks like I could squeeze in the standard itinerary here. That means setting up base-camp in Dillon/Silverthorne and then deciding between Copper/Breck/Keystone/A-Basin/Loveland. Of note, I've only ever skied half a day at Copper, have never skied Loveland, and haven't visited A-Basin since they opened up The Beavers.

Tamarack/Brundage: I've been curious about these mountains, since they seem to fit into that overlooked-but-not-totally-dirtbag tier that I enjoy the most.

From what I can tell, this would involved a direct flight to Boise and driving 2.5 hours to McCall. From there, I'd be about 20-30 minutes from both Brundage and Tamarack, and could check out one each day.

Crystal Mountain: I've never skied the PNW, and going into the season, this was the option I was most excited about. I'd fly direct to Seattle, then drive 1 hour 45 minutes. Looks like I can stay slopeside at either the Village Inn or the Quicksilver Lodge. (Alpine Inn appears sold out.) Unsure what to expect of this region in March. This is also the most expensive option, although I would be willing splurge if it's worth it.

Update: Red Mountain and Whitewater have entered the chat. Leaning towards that trip and also curious about Big Red Cats.

Would love to hear your thoughts and opinions. I've attached a poll as well!

If it matters, my other booked trips this year are Big Sky in January and Park City in April. I prefer black and blue terrain, with the very occasional double blacks.

Thanks, everyone!

Last edited:

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I guess you don't have a pass to any already? That would be a big consideration for most folks.

TS
TonyPlush

TonyPlush

Out on the slopes
Skier
I guess you don't have a pass to any already? That would be a big consideration for most folks.
Correct - no pass this year, so get to play the free agent game.

Day tickets at all these places are pretty similar, with Crystal again being the outlier on the high-end.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
What about catching the last half of the Gathering in Utah this year? Free guiding is a heck of a perk.

pipestem

Out on the slopes
Skier
Paging my buddy @Kemperski or recent Tamarck and Brundage beta.

I have always wanted to go to Whitefish, but I have to say that my one day at Crystal was pretty incredible, love the terrain. I think you are fine either way.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Brundage is low key and a cruiser hill. First time at Tamarack will be first week in March.

TS
TonyPlush

TonyPlush

Out on the slopes
Skier
What about catching the last half of the Gathering in Utah this year? Free guiding is a heck of a perk.
Oh wow, didn't realize that was happening the same week. On a quick glance, it's probably out of the budget unfortunately. Looking like 2-3x the total price of some of the others.

Definitely tempting though...

TS
TonyPlush

TonyPlush

Out on the slopes
Skier
A new contender: Red Mountain + Whitewater

Could follow this itinerary:
  • Day 1: Fly to Spokane, drive 2.5 minutes to Rossland.
  • Day 2: Ski Red Mountain, drive 1 hour to Nelson
  • Day 3: Ski Whitewater
  • Day 4: Ski Whitewater
  • Day 5: Drive 3 hours to Spokane, fly home
Don't know much about the mountains, and I have some concerns about skiing their trees solo. But sounds like a fun adventure, and the towns look beautiful.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Looking like 2-3x the total price of some of the others.
What's the driver for that? I'd be surprised if flights or lodging were more than some of your other options, unless you're looking at lodging up in Little Cottonwood Canyon.

TS
TonyPlush

TonyPlush

Out on the slopes
Skier
What's the driver for that? I'd be surprised if flights or lodging were more than some of your other options, unless you're looking at lodging up in Little Cottonwood Canyon.
MSP to SLC flights are always about 30% more expensive than everywhere else, which never makes any sense to me since both airports are Delta hubs. Lodging is the real kicker, although admittedly I was looking at LCC lodging.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier

Don't know much about the mountains, and I have some concerns about skiing their trees solo. But sounds like a fun adventure, and the towns look beautiful.
I like this plan, but would like to suggest one change.
Day 1: catch an early flight and ski 49* North on your way to Rossland. It is on the way and they will have a $49 lift ticket. A very good way to try the trees and see what kind of snows you are going to get. I ski trees solo up here a lot, follow the 'lift vision rule'; stay within sight of the lifts (if things go real sideways it makes it much easier for the Patrol to find the body).

Also adds to the flexibility for where you are when depending on where it snows when.

You are going to the country where the odds are good, but the goods can be a little odd.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Only issue I see here is two days at WW vs two days at Red. WW is a nice mountain and it gets (traditionally), the most snow. But...the in-bounds is relatively small c/c to Red. If you are going out of bounds, I think WW is the place...but I skied most of it in-bounds in one day. Red, on the other hand....

If this trip is even close to same price (remember benefits of Canadian$), it will be far superior to anything else you've proposed IMHO.

TS
TonyPlush

TonyPlush

Out on the slopes
Skier
I like this plan, but would like to suggest one change.
Day 1: catch an early flight and ski 49* North on your way to Rossland. It is on the way and they will have a $49 lift ticket. A very good way to try the trees and see what kind of snows you are going to get. I ski trees solo up here a lot, follow the 'lift vision rule'; stay within sight of the lifts (if things go real sideways it makes it much easier for the Patrol to find the body).

Also adds to the flexibility for where you are when depending on where it snows when.

You are going to the country where the odds are good, but the goods can be a little odd.
:duck::geek: But good point. In the past I've had a pretty strict "no tree skiing alone" rule, but that's a pretty good compromise.

49* North has piqued my interest for a while. Would love to make that happen if possible, thanks for the suggestion!

Edit - The earliest flight lands at 1:30 PM and the mountain closes at 3:30 PM, so this probably wouldn't work on Day 1. But, a 3:00 PM return flight could allow me to squeeze in a few runs on Day 5, depending on how early I get up.

Only issue I see here is two days at WW vs two days at Red. WW is a nice mountain and it gets (traditionally), the most snow. But...the in-bounds is relatively small c/c to Red. If you are going out of bounds, I think WW is the place...but I skied most of it in-bounds in one day. Red, on the other hand....

If this trip is even close to same price (remember benefits of Canadian$), it will be far superior to anything else you've proposed IMHO.
Great feedback, thank you. The time at Red vs. Whitewater was one of the things I wasn't sure about. I am not comfortable skiing out of bounds, nor remote trees when by myself, and those seem to the big attractions there. So, Red may be a better fit for me.

Last edited:
TS
TonyPlush

TonyPlush

Out on the slopes
Skier
Splurge option:

Big Red Cats just happens to have availability on an intermediate cat on my dates. Worth skipping Nelson / Whitewater and spending 2 days skiing Red and 1 day at Big Red Cats?

Background info: I’d consider myself an advanced skier (usually prefer black runs at western resorts) but an inexperienced powder skier. The most luck I’ve had is a couple of 10 inch days at Altabird which tend to get skied out quickly. I also have zero cat skiing experience.

TS
TonyPlush

TonyPlush

Out on the slopes
Skier
Update if anyone is still following along... just booked flights for Red Mountain / Whitewater. Current itinerary:
  • Day 1: Fly to Spokane, Drive to Rossland
  • Day 2: Ski Red or Big Red Cats
  • Day 3: Ski Red, drive to Nelson
  • Day 5: Drive from Nelson to Spokane, Catch 3 PM flight
I'm thinking I'll watch the snow, and if Red gets a few more storms then I'll book the intermediate cat with Big Red Cats. I'm also really impressed with the affordability of lessons at Whitewater ($305 USD for a full day private or $60 for a half day group) so if BRC falls through, I may see about getting an instructor to guide me around the trees at Whitewater.

Sponsor

Staff online