• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tipping the Food Service Counter Worker

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Do most people tip the counter worker at the ski resort cafeteria, or for takeout around town?

I usually do if the service was pleasant, although I guess it depends on my mood. The new payment screens annoy me with the tip suggestions.

For coffee I usually tip but a little less so now that it’s like $3.50 for a cup. Of course I don’t think anyone tips for fast food or at a convenience store. Imagine buying some milk and a bottle of wine and giving the clerk a $5 tip. It would never happen.

Unpiste

Booting down
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Tipping for pick-up food was never standard practice before interactive terminals became commonplace, which of course suggest a tip by default, while you're in full view of the line behind. I'll tip if the service was exceptional and price reasonable, or if I really like the place, but not otherwise.

I really got a kick out of the fancy automated checkout counter at Aspen asking for a tip for the bowl of chili I had just served myself, right before I filled a pitcher of water for the table, gathered cups on a tray, and brought everything outside. (The staff honestly were really nice, but still.)

If a business is underpaying its workers, that's not really a problem that's going to be solved with a tip.

TS
Wilhelmson

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I tip more now than previously. Work is shit for these kinds of jobs because of COVID. I can afford it.
I tipped a lot over Covid but have gone back to the usual, which is still pretty good.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
If a business is underpaying its workers, that's not really a problem that's going to be solved with a tip.

Bingo.

I grew up in a family that is very involved in the restaurant business. We are very much aware that it is a service oriented industry and many workers depends on tips to make a living. However, I do believe that it is necessary for some sort of services rendered prior to tips tendered.

Basically, one have to do something to earn a tip. It should not be automatic. Otherwise, the restaurant should include it in their price and split the proceeds with the workers.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I tipped a lot over Covid but have gone back to the usual, which is still pretty good.
I'm probably not the best tipper normally. So I bumped it up because things have been tough for some. I mostly feel bad for healthcare workers and teachers. Tough to tip them.

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
What about this relatively new thing about asking for a tip before service has been rendered? To me thats more like a bribe than a tip. I still give’em some $$ because I know hourly food workers in ski towns are in a hard spot.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
I tip the bar employees generously. A very sound investment

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I really got a kick out of the fancy automated checkout counter at Aspen asking for a tip for the bowl of chili I had just served myself, right before I filled a pitcher of water for the table, gathered cups on a tray, and brought everything outside. (The staff honestly were really nice, but still.)
I'm pretty generous with my tips nowadays, given my (relative) wealth and others' hard lives.
But.... there's a limit. We have a sandwich place nearby: you walk up and order at a counter, get your own silverware and table, pick up the sandwich when it's ready, and bus your own table when finished. The ready-made tip program on the pad starts at 18% and offers options up to 25%. No, just no.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Let's set aside for now high end restaurants where expert professional service - wait staff and sommeliers - is really a thing.

Once you do that, everything else is just royals (owners) arranging finger pointing between the farming serfs (staff) and the hunting & fishing serfs (customers), to distract both from the fact that the royals are getting rich off of both. Divide and conquer.

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
Is the new (to me) practice with tips common in your areas ... the one where tips are pooled and then shared among the staff?

I heard about it first from a friend in DC. IIRC, the website specified that the owners would not get a share. (Really? Who ever thought they would?)

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
If I carry out a pizza or Asian food, like tonight, I usually leave a modest 10% tip or less. We have plenty, many do not. The $2 tip on my $17 bill tonight will not impact my life but may help them. Now, at a restaurant where someone actually serves you I do vary my tip depending on the service even though the wait staff will just think I am cheap if I leave a small tip because their service is poor.

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
At Whistler think it's harder now for employees to make ends meet.
Passes are linked with food services. I'm not even sure if there is a tip option, we just tap the pass at the counter and I haven't carried cash for years.
Countries where a decent wage is included in the price of your meal has always seemed more civilized.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Is the new (to me) practice with tips common in your areas ... the one where tips are pooled and then shared among the staff?

I heard about it first from a friend in DC. IIRC, the website specified that the owners would not get a share. (Really? Who ever thought they would?)
Not really new. When I waitressed some 50 years ago, there were places that did that. One place I had to share tips with the busboys (no females doing that, and why? Because they got paid full minimum wage while the waitresses got like a third of that.) which really irritated me.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
I always thought a tip jar on a counter in US ( not Europe - ugh!) was fair enough provided not too aggressively positioned and hectoring. Something for you to drop coin change into if desired etc.

I guess contactless and Apple/Gpay has rather done for the concept of change and so we're now seeing these more intrusive PoS systems. Guess your street beggar needs an iPad with a Square dongle to maximise revenues these days.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I always thought a tip jar on a counter in US ( not Europe - ugh!) was fair enough provided not too aggressively positioned and hectoring. Something for you to drop coin change into if desired etc.

I guess contactless and Apple/Gpay has rather done for the concept of change and so we're now seeing these more intrusive PoS systems. Guess your street beggar needs an iPad with a Square dongle to maximise revenues these days.
Yup. Next thing is we're going to start getting emails reporting on our tipping behavior, complete with censorious nudges to up our games.

Sponsor

Staff online