• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Seafood Thread

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
and bread.
I am ok with the local bread options. Every day grocery store bread here is IMO better than in the DC area. Local bakeries do well too. Madeline loves to bake and we do breads once a week or more. Bread machine currently broken. We wore it out. If your talking about top level bakeries, I would think the east coast has much more options there.

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
Carp is a major food fish for Asia. Perhaps it's a genetic memory thing like lactose affinity/tolerance for Northern Europeans.
I don't know for sure. But carp maybe one of the earliest fish to be raised in fish farms.

It's considered an "invasive species" here because they grow so fast. What's bad for the native fish though, is great quality for fish farmers.:rolleyes:

It's not that good a fish to eat. But it's cheap. I suspect that's the reason it's a "major food fish" in Asia.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't know for sure. But carp maybe one of the earliest fish to be raised in fish farms.

It's considered an "invasive species" here because they grow so fast. What's bad for the native fish though, is great quality for fish farmers.:rolleyes:

It's not that good a fish to eat. But it's cheap. I suspect that's the reason it's a "major food fish" in Asia.

Yup, carps are definitely an invasive species in NA. Hopefully the electric fences can keep them out of the Great Lakes.
Another way to control an invasive species is to find a native predator. If Mrs. Paul ever figure out how to process them puppies, there won't be enough of them.

The Y bones in a carp runs through the centerline of the filet. Totally ruining the filet. Totally not inline with US processing procedures.

There are many sub-species of carp. They varies in taste and texture. No better or worse than the pollacks most of the processors are currently using. One they figure out how to process carp, nobody will notice.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I guess you've never heard of Scandinavia then :ogbiggrin:
Also the Maritime provinces, tribes of the Pacific Northwest, and ... New England. Cape Cod. Yadda yadda. Cold oceans are very productive.

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Well THAT'S not saying much.

Exactly.
The bar for the Mrs. Paul crowd is set more like the limbo stick rather than pole vault.
Think McD fish sandwich.

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier

When we speak of "carp" we generally mean the common carp, or if you're blessed, the grass and silver carps. There are however, many more species through out Asia, especially in India. If you ever have the opportunity to eat some Katla or fish for a mahseer, you may change your tune.
As for the bone issue, just enjoy the texture and swallow. The possibility of actually choking on fish bone is virtually nil ( unless you swallow the entire head). I don't have any data at hand, but I strongly suspect that many more people choke on chicken bones than fish.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Also the Maritime provinces, tribes of the Pacific Northwest, and ... New England. Cape Cod. Yadda yadda. Cold oceans are very productive.

Then there's Alaska and southern Chile. In fact, I'm far more familiar with eating seafood from cold waters than warm.

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't have any data at hand, but I strongly suspect that many more people choke on chicken bones than fish.

That's why I only buy skinless boneless chicken breast bulk packs from Costco. I rather die from obesity than choking at the dinner table. :ogcool:

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
Won't be getting seafood anytime soon at the grocery. Fresh cod now starts at $29 per pound. Anything else (tuna, flounder, snapper, etc) is at a premium above that.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Won't be getting seafood anytime soon at the grocery. Fresh cod now starts at $29 per pound. Anything else (tuna, flounder, snapper, etc) is at a premium above that.
Where do you live? (I'm not moving there.)

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Salmon fillet is $9.99 at NYC Stop & Shop.

Chinese Groceries - $7.99 for fillet. $6.99 for steaks.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Here to point out that sushi is NOT "seafood". It might make good BAIT to catch real seafood though.. Real meat comes cooked.

:snowball:

Last edited:

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
Where do you live? (I'm not moving there.)
San Antonio, TX.

Edit - when we go to Corpus area, we will get seafood. Doesn't make sense when at home. Restaurants evidently get much better deals since the prices there have gone up, but not as crazy as the grocery store.

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Is that for farm raised Atlantic salmon complete with food coloring to make it pink or wild caught?

For this side of town, the wild caught King and Sockeye are very seasonal and are more expensive.
Mostly farm raised year round. No better and no worse than farm raised beef, pork or chicken. Just another protein.

We generally stay away from salmon when we are in NYC. We tend toward the smaller whole fishes.
When we are on the road in the winter, the selection in the interior of the US is very limited.

Sponsor

Staff online