• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Arizona/New Mexico The Revival of Sandia Mountain, New Mexico

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
That is a difficult place to get open. As we get warmer, it gets harder for Sandia Peak. I hope that El Nino will give them a good jump-start and that they can get enough snowmaking ready for the following season to be consistently open.

I'm selfishly thinking that it may alleviate some of the powder day crowding at Ski Santa Fe though, now that the Sandia Peak pass won't work at Ski Santa Fe anymore.

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
That is a difficult place to get open. As we get warmer, it gets harder for Sandia Peak. I hope that El Nino will give them a good jump-start and that they can get enough snowmaking ready for the following season to be consistently open.

I'm selfishly thinking that it may alleviate some of the powder day crowding at Ski Santa Fe though, now that the Sandia Peak pass won't work at Ski Santa Fe anymore.
Was reading (somewhere prob should have paid more attention to who wrote it) that the strength of the El Nino was not as strong as they thought it would be at this time and not the strength of the 2 previous super el nino's (97/98 and 15/16 were the benchmarks) at this point in time either. The more moderate El Nino would be better then a super strong one. Certainly would help Sandia if New Mexico has a good one this year.

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
That was a fun read! Anytime a ski area come back from the brink is a good thing. "Local" hills allow for more time on snow.

New2

Out on the slopes
Skier
would enjoy seeing Ski Rio come back.
A much better location for skiing, but a much worse location for a skiing business. The current owner posted not too long ago an open letter announcing his intention to permanently preserve the property lift-free (still on the landing page as of 10/23): https://www.endlessblueresort.com/

The ranching co-op still owns plenty of other land all around that could potentially be ski terrain. But it's still a long way from potential customers and employees.

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
When I was in New Mexico in the USAF, I only ever made it to Taos and Ski Apache.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I have a soft spot for Sandia Peak. I've never skied there, but I did walk over from the top of the tram to look at the top of the ski area. A different day in a different year I had a little free time so I went to look for the BBQ place one of my coworkers really liked near the tram parking lot (county line maybe? memory even vaguer now than then). I drove through the tram parking lot. It was fun to see people getting out of their cars in coats, carrying skis and boots, while was walking around in shirtsleeves.

Itinerant skier

Out on the slopes
Skier
Cuchara up in Colorado is supposed to be giving it a shot
Well, they've been trying in fits and starts for several years now. Variations of the municipal/nonprofit model. I used to love skiing there in the late 90's. Not sure they get enough snow anymore. If they get a lift running, I'll make a point to visit.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
Well, they've been trying in fits and starts for several years now. Variations of the municipal/nonprofit model. I used to love skiing there in the late 90's. Not sure they get enough snow anymore. If they get a lift running, I'll make a point to visit.
They seem to be pretty close...just waiting on certification if their website is to be believed.

James

Out There
Instructor
Well that’s pretty cool. I took the tram up the other side maybe 30 yrs ago.

Slide of Hans

Getting on the Red Chair
Skier
Good news! I've always wanted to take the tram to the ski area from the city. I like these unusual access points, its similar to the 2 mile gondola at Silver mtn or the transfer double at Mt Baldy .

Does anyone have info on what MCP is doing with the old Elk Ridge ski area outside Williams?

Sponsor

Staff online