• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

surfski

Putting on skis
Skier
My apologies. I certainly can get heavy handed in the manner in which I dole out advice. That doesn't fly with my wife and so it shouldn't as well with this community. Phil often reminds me that things aren't always black and white when it comes to ski equipment and dialing in fit and performance.

So I'll probably be around for another few weeks and then it will be end of the season and time for my hip replacement surgery. Waiting for this damn surgery certainly has me grouchy at times. I'll try my best not to take it out on the Internet. :)
I also wish you the very best with your surgery. I have from this current season and my own many experiments learnt a lot about such a delta and what works for me, canting and many other subjects including Zip Fits. so personally i hope you will be around as you are one resource here who might be able to give inputs of value to me.
Seems perhaps some of my questions would be better asked and i hope answered by PM if the time comes, again best wishes for a full and speedy recovery

Last edited by a moderator:

jyl

Getting on the lift
Skier
My apologies. I certainly can get heavy handed in the manner in which I dole out advice. That doesn't fly with my wife and so it shouldn't as well with this community. Phil often reminds me that things aren't always black and white when it comes to ski equipment and dialing in fit and performance.

So I'll probably be around for another few weeks and then it will be end of the season and time for my hip replacement surgery. Waiting for this damn surgery certainly has me grouchy at times. I'll try my best not to take it out on the Internet. :)
Curious what you’ve been told about skiing after hip replacement? A friend had his hip replaced and the surgeon said absolutely no skiing with the artificial joint, while another doctor friend said loss of people ski with hip replacements.

Patron Silver

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I'm in the market to replace my 5 year old RS 130 Lange's. I use this boot for the narrow last and actually ski a race fit but without either rivet in back. Works for me. About me: mid 50's advanced/expert Vermont skier with a trip or two west each year. Ski fast and love the bumps/trees but will open it up when the conditions allow (not often...SKI THE EAST!). Anyway, the shells on my RS130's are still good including the heel and toe. Would it be advisable to buy Zipfits i stead of buying new Lange's or Dobermann 5's?? If so, which model should I target?

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So I was ambitious today and got my 27.5 Gara LV Sidewinders in my K2 Recon 120 Plus shells ( 98 last ) and went skiing for an hour+. This was just a spontaneous quick test with a much less then comfortable fit, as I had pressure points around both ankles inside and out, but tolerable. I had a roomy toe, good fore foot hold, and excellent ankle hold. Buckles were barely tight, with not using the 4th buckle at all, and just using my Booster strap.

Skiing, I immediately noticed a much more direct connection from my inputs to the ski's reaction. This was not subtle. I thought I had a good fit before, but not such a direct connection as experienced by the Zipfits. It's akin to upgrading to performance tires, or to firmer suspension bushings -> your car reacts quicker to inputs. I even think my skis tracked better in today's crappy snow-> less prone to wandering ? I did find I was more upright in my stance, which is often noted with the ZF design, and especially since mine have the Sidewinder and not broken in. Might try my cuff spoilers on my next outing. Even though I was out for only an hour+ I'm going to stick with my 27.5 and not pursue a 26.5. I'm sure I can dial in a vastly better fit than I've ever previously had, without resorting to a smaller shell and possibly requiring lots of shell mods. My right foot is just a bit smaller volume so will OMfit as required. Time to start cooking my liners and doing the lengthy process of dialing it in !

Also, just tried the ZF in my old backup boot, an Atomic Hawx Ultra 27.5 from 5 years ago -> absolutely no way can I get into that racer style as the plastic is very firm and too much shell overlap in the foot.

Last edited:

Yarecki

Putting on skis
Skier
Prototype of next year’s new touring liner in this video (starts around 14:25). Looks very different than other ZF liners, probably to save on weight. Wondering how much of the new build will make its way to other ZF liners.

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
You have to understand the context in which that comment was made. The comment ( paraphrasing here ) "there are skiers, and then there are people who ski" has been often made here by many a folk, including our fearless leader, and it's not meant to disparage the "people who ski" segment of the population. It's to put into perspective that sometimes we here focus on the fanatics who ski many days a season, and obsess over gear and wringing the last umpteenth percent of performance out of it, but the fact of the matter is most people only ski 5-10 days a year, and don't obsess about their gear.
So, in that context, and I'm not going to try and read @Noodler 's mind, but I'm pretty sure he didn't think he'd have anything to be embarrassed about by writing it.

Now, having said all that--the fact of the matter is we have a lot of new folks coming on board as of late, and they are not privy to the years of backstory, and the vernacular, here from Epic->Pugski-Skitalk, so perhaps that little piece of colloquialism should be retired, as it can be taken offensively.
Some of the best skiers I know pay little attention to gear. I’m talking even World Cup level skiers and Olympians (but freestyle and skier cross).

Doublegreen

Putting on skis
Skier
Prototype of next year’s new touring liner in this video (starts around 14:25). Looks very different than other ZF liners, probably to save on weight. Wondering how much of the new build will make its way to other ZF liners.

edit to just copy and paste from TGR

As I've alluded to, we are working on a lightweight touring innerboot.

We are still in the development and testing phase. We will launch this lightweight touring innerboot when we can stand behind the durability and longevity. We are not planning on having any available for '24/'25.

I hope that is as clear as can be. We share your enthusiasm for this project and we want to make it as great as we know it can be.

Cheers,
Jeff

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
Some of the best skiers I know pay little attention to gear. I’m talking even World Cup level skiers and Olympians (but freestyle and skier cross).

^ Yep. And there’s no reason to listen to them about it. I’ve heard some strange things about gear from some very good skiers.

jt10000

步步高升
Skier
losing a toenail.jpg

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
Second say in my first Zip's after adding a tube of cork to each tounge. WOW! I can't believe the way these ski compared to my Intuition's!

I did have some shin pain in one boot but I felt really connected. Does this lean towards needing more cork or just more time in them? I don't have any cork yet and won't add until next winter but was wondering if I should order some?

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
Second say in my first Zip's after adding a tube of cork to each tounge. WOW! I can't believe the way these ski compared to my Intuition's!

I did have some shin pain in one boot but I felt really connected. Does this lean towards needing more cork or just more time in them? I don't have any cork yet and won't add until next winter but was wondering if I should order some?
It might be a clump of Omfit in the tongue which hasn’t fully distributed yet. I did that by accident last time I added Omfit to the tongues and it took a few days to spread. I didn’t twig what was going on until after the fact!!

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
It might be a clump of Omfit in the tongue which hasn’t fully distributed yet. I did that by accident last time I added Omfit to the tongues and it took a few days to spread. I didn’t twig what was going on until after the fact!!
I worevthem for an hour every night last week and it was really bad at first so I was trying to work smooth anything I could feel after snd it has improved. Before we added a tube it was even worse which has me wondering I I'll need to add more at some point.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Has anyone ever had the plunger get stuck in the Omfit tube? Full disclosure: I left the plunger in the tube all last summer and this winter. How to remove?

Reactions: BMC

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Has anyone ever had the plunger get stuck in the Omfit tube? Full disclosure: I left the plunger in the tube all last summer and this winter. How to remove?

No, but I also haven't dealt with the supposed newer formulation of the OMFit. When did you get this?

Anyhow, I would think that heat would probably do the trick. Just use a hair dryer or a heat gun on low.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
No, but I also haven't dealt with the supposed newer formulation of the OMFit. When did you get this?

Anyhow, I would think that heat would probably do the trick. Just use a hair dryer or a heat gun on low.
I got it last season. I tried putting it in a silicone container in hot water, but no go. I don‘t have a heat gun or hair dryer. Maybe I’ll put it in my heated boot bag tomorrow morning when I‘m getting ready to go skiing and see if that works better.

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
Not quite stuck, but very difficult to remove, yes. There’s some mystery around the batches of Omfit that escapes my expertise

Sponsor