• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The most dangerous places to drive in the snow

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Washington seems to be popular. :)
Wyoming Interstates in a blizzard horrible. I seen trucks blown over parked in August! I'v been locked out of exits and stuck driving on Wy interstates in blizzards. I was the only truck out there. Just keep trucking and drove out of it. Maybe driving log trucks paid off. Lol

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
This ought to make your eyes water:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gj5_jw938eY

What makes the latest black ice and snow crash videos so much more entertaining now is many cars now have those dash top video cameras. So you get to hear people inside yelling, screaming, and swearing just before crashing plus some of the crash sounds from inside crashing vehicles are brutal.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Of course a lot of those Washington drivers came from somewhere else; California, India and China in particular. It’s not our fault that we’re in such an awesome place that everyone wants to move here.Except for people that like sunshine.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
In NE every tiny town has huge snowplows- job done pronto.. South Carolina- what's that ? Once 20 years ago with 6 inches of snow on I-95 in South Carolina
guys from my work heading to Florida on vacation slept in a fire house shelter in SC, gave up and turned back north. With only a few road graders they had to get snowplows from NYC to clear roads. Took a week to reopen !

Posaune

sliding
Skier
Obviously, we Washington drivers need to look to ourselves, but in my experience the worst drivers I see are from B.C. I live less than 30 miles from the border, so I see lots of BC plates, but on the freeway especially, they speed and weave like nobody else. And if they're from BC and they drive a Mercedes or a BMW, watch out!

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I used to drive from Wichita, KS to the Colorado mountains 1-3 times per season. Several times when a storm was moving through, the Interstate out in the plains was worse than the mountains due to drifting. Sometimes it was closed.

Agree. Snow plus cross winds makes for the worst driving imaginable. As a kid, we got snowed in at Jamestown, North Dakota when we literally could not get beneath a freeway overpass due to drifting. Dad has an old b&w photo I'll try and post from the morning after.

Where I live now (Columbia Gorge, an hour east of Portland, Oregon) we get Gorge Effect snow. I won't bore you with the explanation, but it typically comes with a consistent 2 mph east wind, and.....it's just not that big of deal.

Well, except for last year's "lifetime" winter, based on my 67 year old neighbor's memory!

Sponsor

Staff online