• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The first skis you owned

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This thread, Just purchased my very first new pair of Skis - inspired me to dig around for pictures of my first pair of skis.

I had skied a handful of times, and knew I wanted to do more. My SO bought me these for Christmas (1985) complete with matching poles. I bought my own boots. - Rear entry Alpina
I think these skis are in an attic somewhere in Michigan.
1930806_88984940017_470_n.jpg

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Mine were hand-me-down K2 Gyrators. I wasn't skiing bumps, but they were short and easy to manage - and I didnt have to wait in line for rentals!

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
The first ones I remember were purchased from a department store rental fleet, I'm pretty sure it was May D&F, which was stamped into the ski. It seems so odd now that you would rent skis from the May Company. I have no idea what kind of skis they were, but they were black.

Kite Pilot

Putting on skis
Skier
Head Standards 200cm in 1965 from Gorsuch Sports when they were in Gunnison before they moved to Vail. Still have them. With Arlberg straps and leather double lace up boots.

i41rF91.png

QYc1cet.png

No rocker on these...

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Atomic Racer 2000's 160cm. I was about 14 or so. I mounted up some Salomon 444's on them and upgraded to to the new fangled brakes...hoping that they would catch on verses the straps which were established.

C Ray Heater

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Atomic Racer 2000's 160cm. I was about 14 or so. I mounted up some Salomon 444's on them and upgraded to to the new fangled brakes...hoping that they would catch on verses the straps which were established.
At the age of 40 a friend purchased an alpine ticket for me at Timberline. I had been a nordic skier the previous 10 years. I was hooked!! Within the year I purchased new Volkl Targa R's in 200 length. I had them for 10 years. The ski shop employee was correct that this ski would be one I needed to learn on. This was 35 years ago.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
First brand new unused, un modified (cut down) skis I owed was a pair of hart gremlins, white with red letters.

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
1984ish K2 Nouveau Elites

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Don't remember the brand but wood skis, cable bindings, screw-on edges, non-Ptex plastic base that was gone in a season.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Fischer GTX (?) skis -- got them new form a sporting goods store around 1972

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Fischer Cut 70 in 185 circa 1979. Sporting goods store.
Someone in Verona actually tried to sell a pair not long ago. Yes, they were about that ugly when new.

db00a602c0d4069f3e54a1ac7f19b0fe_orig.jpg

OldSchool47

Putting on skis
Pass Pulled
First brand new unused, un modified (cut down) skis I owed was a pair of hart gremlins, white with red letters.

Hakubas are the 1st non-wood ski that I owned. My dad bought them for me from a ski shop in Duluth circa 1969/1970 because I broke my wood skis earlier in the season while skiing at Candy Mountain near Thunder Bay.

I am thinking that my dad bought the skis from Continental Ski Shop located near Leif Erikson Park. He knew Paul Vesterstein.

My dad also knew Chuck Carlberg. Cannot remember if Chuck was working at Continental when my dad bought the Hakubas. Long time ago. Chuck was a good skier.

Last edited:

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
The first pair I owned (bought summer 2011) was 2011 Blizzard G-Force Supersonic IQ @ 167. I had 4 weeks of skiiing experience at the time.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Stenmark's - Elan RC SL - I think I bought them in a pussy length as that was all the shop had on sale and I was a penurious teen. Regret skipping them when I moved house

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The 1976/1977 Rossignol Freestyle is the 1st Rossignol ski that I owned. Red Look N77s were mounted on the skis. Them were the days.

1976-1977-rossignol-freestyle-ski.jpg
Still one of my favorite graphics of all time..mainly because the bases matched the topskin
Stenmark's - Elan RC SL - I think I bought them in a pussy length as that was all the shop had on sale and I was a penurious teen. Regret skipping them when I moved house

Had a pair of RC05's in Highschool. Amazing ski.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Don't remember the brand but wood skis, cable bindings, screw-on edges, non-Ptex plastic base that was gone in a season.
I had the same set up. I think they were Arlberg's . Cable bindings and screwed on edges. Mine had a plastic base. Not sure if they were Ptex. (had it been invented then?) Its hard to even imagine nowadays!
After a couple of years my dad sprung for some real modern skis, Fischer Glas 707's. they had marker bindings, Simplex toe and Rotomat heel. They were 170's , the same size as my frontside skis are now!

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Skied once then went to the used ski shop in Berlin,Ct and bought a pair of 190 cm Volkl orange boards. Still love that Volkl feel 40 years later.

Sponsor

Staff online