• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Bad Advice Thread

AltaSkier

I stick uphill ice...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I, AltaSkier, am here to provide assistance to those of you needing advice. This advice will be handed out on skiing'ish related topics.

Got a questions about boots? Great!
Looking for a resort for an upcoming holiday? I'm your man.
Curious about monoskiing? Shoot away.
Wondering which of your friends to leave behind when the chair is too small? Hit me.

Any and all advice will be answered by myself, or anybody else who chooses to chime in here.

The only thing is, it will be bad/terrible advice that will have no place in you reaching a good conclusion to your problem.

Ask away...

Last edited by a moderator:

SlideWright

aka Alpinord
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Supporter
This seems fitting here:

judgement.jpg

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
What is a good response to people on the lift, especially late in the season, who say “ya this powder is awesome, now I’m just praying for the sun to come out”?
:doh:

TS
AltaSkier

AltaSkier

I stick uphill ice...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
What is a good response to people on the lift, especially late in the season, who say “ya this powder is awesome, now I’m just praying for the sun to come out”?
:doh:

Make sure they know that Colorado is way sunnier than Utah. Then ask if they would like to see your Pokémon card collection.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@AltaSkier
I didn't have the skills to ski Mt Bohemia when I lived in Michigan but it was on my bucket list.
Is it worth it for me to travel to the Porkies to ski Bohemia now that I have developed the skills but live in the Tahoe area?

TS
AltaSkier

AltaSkier

I stick uphill ice...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
How do I tell my snowboarding freinds ill never buy another snowbird pass due to the parking shitshow?
Don't tell them. Just drive up the road to Alta, unload your stuff and go take laps on the Wildcat chair. They are snowboarders, it might take them a bit, but they will figure it out.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Don't tell them. Just drive up the road to Alta, unload your stuff and go take laps on the Wildcat chair. They are snowboarders, it might take them a bit, but they will figure it out.
Plus, there's a shuttle to Snowbird available from there, so everybody wins. Or something.

TS
AltaSkier

AltaSkier

I stick uphill ice...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Is riding on your tails the ultimate way to carve on skis?
It's the only way to carve skis. This is why there is more ski behind your foot than in front of it. Go watch some World Cup races. All the top pros ride their tails and turn late. Shiffrin is by far the best at this.

TS
AltaSkier

AltaSkier

I stick uphill ice...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@AltaSkier
I didn't have the skills to ski Mt Bohemia when I lived in Michigan but it was on my bucket list.
Is it worth it for me to travel to the Porkies to ski Bohemia now that I have developed the skills but live in the Tahoe area?

You might have the skillz now TC, but do you have the required Shaggy's? What color plaid is your ski jacket? What you need to do is wait until the biggest pow day(s) Tahoe will get next year and fly to Michigan to ski instead. Probably want to warm it up in Southern Michigan first. Perhaps some laps at Pine Knob, Mt. Brighton, Cannonsburg or Bittersweet will get your legs back under you after being lazy out there in Tahoe.

Ironically, I've never skied at Boho either. It's been on my list, but it is actually harder for me to get there from the Detroit area than heading to many western US resorts. Also, I don't really care for Shaggy's skis.

Let me know when you guys are coming and I'll meet you up there. It's only a 9 hour drive for me, which really means 14 hours driving across the UP in the winter.

Sponsor

Staff online