• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Arizona/New Mexico Taos to angel fire or red river

Keys2Ski

Short-n-Sweet
Skier
Does anyone know if 64 is open year round? Looking to add a day at either red river or angel fire from Taos in early feb??

Jack skis

Ex 207cm VR17 Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Does anyone know if 64 is open year round? Looking to add a day at either red river or angel fire from Taos in early feb??
In the old days when there were paper maps one could see that there were year round paved highways linking Taos, Red River and Angel Fire. It was, and still is, a circle trip that can be driven either clockwise or counter clockwise. So both RR and AF are easy add-ons to a Taos visit. Get a map and look it up. Enjoy the skiing.

HDSkiing

You’re Sliding On-Snow; Don’t Over-Think it!
Skier
64 is open/maintained year round but could be treacherous in a winter storm. Also you will not have cell service (depending on carrier like much or rural NM) in some stretches. It’s a nice easy drive in good weather.

TS
Keys2Ski

Keys2Ski

Short-n-Sweet
Skier
64 is open/maintained year round but could be treacherous in a winter storm. Also you will not have cell service (depending on carrier like much or rural NM) in some stretches. It’s a nice easy drive in good weather.
I have AT&T. Does that help?

HDSkiing

You’re Sliding On-Snow; Don’t Over-Think it!
Skier
That’s what I have as well. It’s been my experience that AT&T is better with data but Verizon is better with cell around here. I wouldn’t be too concerned, it’s getting better all the time but we are a very rural state, and quite large 4th/5th in land mass I believe with less than 2 million over half of which live around Albuquerque and Santa Fe so not much need for a lot of cell towers lol…

Nathanvg

Out on the slopes
Skier
either ski area is an easy day trip. Angel fire is pretty flat. I like Red River better. Ski Santa Fe is better yet if it happens to be on your way to/from Taos.

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
Ski Santa Fe is a really fun mid sized ski area. I'd like to check out RR since the ski runs dump right into a little town. It looks kind of cool imo. Angel Fire doesn't look very interesting to me.

clong83

Stauffenberg!
Skier
I dunno, but I know that Cimarron (just a bit east of there) you need AT&T, and Verizon doesn‘t work at all. Not sure about Angel Fire/Eagle Nest, but I think AT&T is good there, too. At Taos, Verizon works on the mountain in a few spots, and at the base area. Not sure about other carriers.

EDIT: At Pajarito, you need Verizon, AT&T won’t work, but you get service over most of the mountain. And at Ski Santa Fe, nothing works at all. There is one spot about halfway up the Quad chair you can get texts out, and another at the top of the triple chair.

Last edited:

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Unless you are big on terrain parks, I would not recommend Angel Fire. It is the only mountain that we actually left. Crowded, icy, uninteresting terrain IMO. Good town in summer and great for mountain biking but we found the skiing to be shmeh.

Red River is a great little town but I have not skied there. Only been in summer to go fishing. There is reputed to be good nordic skiing around there.

Ski Santa Fe is a wonderful mountain with varied terrain but, full disclosure, it is my home hill so I am biased. Superb tree skiing and really good grooming, although the amount of zoomer groomers is limited.

If it has been snowing, wolf Creek is a bit of a schlep but also a fun mountain that holds good powder for days.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
True. No service on much of the SF mountain but they do have wifi in the buildings.

Sponsor

Staff online