• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Arizona/New Mexico Taos Ski Valley Starting Pay Now Exceeds Living Wage, Adds Housing for Staff

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
My wife and I may go to it. It would have been nice to meet you and Phil. I am not surprised that you cannot make it as you work your butts off for this great site.
We're trying to figure it out. We may have to schedule something separately with @KingGrump

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I think it is going to have to go back to the old “company town” so that the resorts can have employees.

Redstone CO was built as a "fancy" company town, because the owner thought the miners would be more productive if they were treated like gentlemen. As I understand, it was quite successful until the business had problems due to the high expense of transporting coal from there to the steel mill in Pueblo. Anyway, this made me think of that. (And I wonder if Skico aka Aspen was influenced at all by the nearby history -- don't know, just occurred to me that they do treat employees a little better than other resorts, and do a lot for housing etc.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redstone_Historic_District_(Colorado)

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Cols714

Booting up
Skier
This is good news. Affordable housing is important and it would be nice if the "locals" supported building more of it for the people that keep the lifts running.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
And I wonder if Skico aka Aspen was influenced at all by the nearby history -- don't know, just occurred to me that they do treat employees a little better than other resorts
No inside information, but based on what I've read over the years...
I think they continue to treat employees better because they have noticed it helps the business in the long run. But the tradition started because of a threatened strike at a key point in history.

[Apologies if I'm remembering wrong, of course.]

Sponsor

Staff online