• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Arizona/New Mexico Taos & Santa Fe Questions

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Nah. It's pretty much the same. I guess it's a matter of taste. The resort, however, has changed a LOT. Much swankier.

I wanna ski there again. Very unique place. Unlike anything here in Co. I like the NM vibe too. Co has just gotten too crazy most of the time.

Last edited:

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Sorry, if confusing...to expand, what I think he meant was, until the mountain gets filled into about 80%+ it's really an advanced-experts mountain and not necessarily all-skier friendly. I think that's what he was implying and why he suggested waiting until February to plan a trip there for the whole family so that there was plenty of time for the mountain to fill in.

What @pais alto said. The more advanced stuff doesn't get easier with more snow.
A groomer is a groomer regardless of base depth.

I havent been to Taos town in 6 years maybe its nicer now? :huh: Taos Ski Resort is nice. Even back then.

Different stroke for different folks.
Drive north/south on NM Rt 522 and you can see the change in architecture when you cross the state line. It's different. Not better or worse.
The difference does grow on you. Like fungus. :ogcool:

James

Out There
Instructor
Adding Taos to the “dump” list, with Denver and Salt Lake…

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
But it's a dump with southwestern flavor.
Not to mention a hearty sprinkle of third world-ness.

TS
noobski

noobski

Out on the slopes
Skier
I think your friend meant the other way around. Taos will have greens and blues and some black runs open without a lot of base. But the iconic expert terrain requires a pretty big base to open. If you look at photos of the area in summer you will see why. It is the Very Rocky Mountains. In between, when terrain is open and not fully covered that it may be even more expert. That may be what your friend meant.

Thanks. You're right, that's what he meant.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
You can stay in Taos town but it is pretty dingy.
Dude.

Okay, maybe the strip of big box stores south of town is not memorable, but then I could say that about way too many famous destinations when you visit them IRL, no?

As for Taos proper, well, I guess it's my particular favorite kind of dingy.

Pajarito-bred

Getting off the lift
Skier
Adding Taos to the “dump” list, with Denver and Salt Lake…
You can stay in Taos town but it is pretty dingy.
Some folks just don't grok the enchantment of architecture built with locally-sourced, artisanal mud and straw.

Maybe the Taos ski valley has changed slightly -- but hopefully hasn't lost all of its authentic high-desert Bavarian character.
I still get warm fuzzies thinking of stomping impatiently in the lift line of the original Chief lift (#2, the upper Staedli double, East Basin to the ridge, now a generic quad Poma) one early morning as a kid in the mid 70's, taking in the aroma of the stinky diesel engine powering the lift, waiting while the lift op lets it warm up a few minutes to before letting us load chairs.
I havent been to Taos town in 6 years maybe its nicer now? :huh:
Not sure what you are expecting to find that would be "nicer" after only 6 years ( or 6 decades.... Sure, Walmart = marginally nicer than 20th century Gibson's Discount or TG&Y drugstore). I suspect most locals would opine that adding niceness would be detrimental to Taos's character.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Some folks just don't grok the enchantment of architecture built with locally-sourced, artisanal mud and straw.

Maybe the Taos ski valley has changed slightly -- but hopefully hasn't lost all of its authentic high-desert Bavarian character.
I still get warm fuzzies thinking of stomping impatiently in the lift line of the original Chief lift (#2, the upper Staedli double, East Basin to the ridge, now a generic quad Poma) one early morning as a kid in the mid 70's, taking in the aroma of the stinky diesel engine powering the lift, waiting while the lift op lets it warm up a few minutes to before letting us load chairs.

Not sure what you are expecting to find that would be "nicer" after only 6 years ( or 6 decades.... Sure, Walmart = marginally nicer than 20th century Gibson's Discount or TG&Y drugstore). I suspect most locals would opine that adding niceness would be detrimental to Taos's character.

It does. Its not for everyone. Not a bad thing. New Mexico is magical. I have driven through NM during every possible weather condition. It is sublime. I have had some of my best ski days there because of the lack of crowds on powder days and fun terrain.

That said, when people are asking for advice and gonna spend money to travel to ski and have to plan well in advance they need to keep expectations in check and kinda know what they are getting into. Even NM has gotten pretty darn expensive unfortunately.

Sponsor

Staff online