• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Swix Evo Pro thoughts

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm sure I'm faster with the EVO than I would be with the RT just because holding the ski is easier. YMMV
Another RT advantage that we haven't mentioned yet is that you don't need to flip the ski between edges--you can go up one edge and down the other, which makes it incredibly quick. You do need to be attentive to ski width versus vise width, though, or you may end up inadvertently tuning the top of the vise.

Burton

Getting on the lift
Skier
I don't think that's a universally agreed truth. There's a school of thought that the stirations from machine tuners may increase grip.

I'm not sure if I necessarily believe that, but I don't feel the need to polish the skis further after completing my passes with the Razor Tune (other than to tidy up tips and tails in some cases). I don't notice any adverse ski performance characteristics from making my final pass with the Razor Tune when compared to a hand tune.
Wade, my reason to recommend using a diamond stone after a disc grinder is not because it increases performance of the ski, but because anecdotally it may reduce laceration injuries. Looking at an edge tuned with a stone grinder it is clear that there are micro-serrations aligned perpendicular to the length of the edge. Like a very fine steak knife. Those serrations do, in fact, seem to do a wicked job of gripping ice, but they also seem to make the edge more capable of cutting through fabric and flesh. I have no real evidence to back this up, but I've heard this speculated on numerous times at Eastern Division USSA meetings and at the annual Stop the Bleed training. Certainly, there is a correlation between the rise in use of disc grinders and the number of laceration injuries, but I appreciate that correlation does not equal causation, and even more so, that the serrations may be much less of a factor in injuries than the fact that disc grinders simply do their job of sharpening very well. Maybe I'm deluding myself in thinking that removing the serrations reduces risk.

At the end of the day, the one very clear thing is that wearing cut-proofs significantly reduces risk. A couple of seasons ago, my daughter went into some A-net and her ski cut her suit as cleanly as a razor blade would, but her cut proof base layer completely prevented a laceration.

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
At the end of the day, the one very clear thing is that wearing cut-proofs significantly reduces risk. A couple of seasons ago, my daughter went into some A-net and her ski cut her suit as cleanly as a razor blade would, but her cut proof base layer completely prevented a laceration.
QFT
I've been wearing cut resistant gloves ever since I cut my finger to the bone scraping a ski a few years ago, and I've been told that the race programs here require kids to wear them when they tune skis. Serious lacerations from ski edges are more common than you think. Ask anyone who has ever worked in a ski tuning shop.

Short track speed skaters are required to wear two layers of cut proofs now.

A few years ago a college racer almost bled to death at West Mountain: https://www.timesunion.com/news/article/Ski-racers-credited-for-saving-life-of-fellow-13611224.php If the story doesn't convince you, you can easily find the pictures. I won't post them because they are too disturbing.

dm

Last edited:

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
QFT
I've been wearing cut resistant gloves ever since I cut my finger to the bone scraping a ski a few years ago, and I've been told that the race programs here require kids to wear them when they tune skis.

For EVO or RT units I require any athlete using them to wear cut-resistant gloves and a N95 respirator.

And yes: the cut-resistant base layers are good practice. I wish they came in sizing for people with longer legs that didn't fit like a bag but, well, they're still niche.

Sponsor

Staff online