• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Fishbowl

A Parallel Universe
Skier
I wasn't sure where to post this, so please move to .....wherever.

I'm looking for advice on buying my first pair of snowshoes. They would be for two to five miles hikes on mild to moderate terrain in untracked snow. I've done some basic research and it looks like I need a "recreational" pair of shoes in the 30" length based on my weight. The rounded tail seem to give more float but less maneuverability than the V tails. I also like the idea of the rotational binding that frees the heel over the fixed bindings found on most recreational shoes, but what do I know. Plus it seems that many of the rotational bindings have an easier to use BOA closure. Then there is the subject of crampons.....

Help!

kimmyt

My Rack Is Bigger Than Yours
Skier
I do have an issue with the closure straps on my MSR Evo Ascents. The plastic straps are stiff and since I'm using a men's pair, I'm adjusted all the way down so they come undone sometimes when I'm hiking. Aside from that issue they're great and I like the adjustable ramp angle for hiking up steep hills and they are plenty maneuvarable. I did buy mine used and they were old rentals so that might be part of the issue with the strap closures, as the stays are busted from use (obviously this is not enough of a deal breaker for me since I haven't found it necessary to buy new ones). I'm not sure what your weight is, I'm a lightweight female but I do tend to snowshoe with 35-40 pounds of kid on my back and the float seems fine.

TS
Fishbowl

Fishbowl

A Parallel Universe
Skier
I’m 180 lbs male, 69”, so I fit right between the upper limit for 25” shoes and the lower limit for 30”. After watching so many survival shows I do tend to be a little paranoid about getting lost or stranded, so carry an entire survival/bug out bag. My hiking weigh may be over 220 lbs.

I do want fast, easy, glove friendly straps. I saw that some have a BOA.

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Here in the NEK I use my snowshoes more for work than fun...... trail clearing and surveying, moving wood, gaining access to winter woods and the shed. I've had my Tubbs since !997 and they have suffered miles and miles of abuse. You're on track w/ the rotational bindings. For simple 2-5 mile hikes you'll be fine on pretty much any set in the $80 - $160 range. I found my Tubbs on clearance for $100 back then, and they have been flawless East and West(deep) coast. All the decent ones already come w/ good crampons. Use adjustable poles if you're in tricky terrain. Just get a set of decent Black Diamond flick type ski poles that can double as B/C or Alpine as they always come in handy when you're down a set or entertaining guests! Save some cash and get the ones w/ the single flick as they are plenty compact to stow away on your pack. Don't forget a decent back pack. w/ a rugged base so when you place it on the ground to change out gear it doesn't wear. Make sure it will hold a wide set of skis and they all pretty much have a way to connect snowshoes! :beercheer:

Last edited:
TS
Fishbowl

Fishbowl

A Parallel Universe
Skier
Here in the NEK I use my snowshoes more for work than fun...... trail clearing and surveying, moving wood, gaining access to winter woods and the shed. I've had my Tubbs since !997 and they have suffered miles and miles of abuse. You're on track w/ the rotational bindings. For simple 2-5 mile hikes you'll be fine on pretty much any set in the $80 - $160 range. I found my Tubbs on clearance for $100 back then, and they have been flawless East and West(deep) coast. All the decent ones already come w/ good crampons. Use adjustable poles if you're in tricky terrain. Just get a set of decent Black Diamond flick type ski poles that can double as B/C or Alpine as they always come in handy when you're down a set or entertaining guests! Save some cash and get the ones w/ the single flick as they are plenty compact to stow away on your pack. Don't forget a decent back pack. w/ a rugged base so when you place it on the ground to change out gear it doesn't wear. Make sure it will hold a wide set of skis and they all pretty much have a way to connect snowshoes! :beercheer:

There seems to be a huge jump in price from shoes under $100 to over $200. I looked at several MSR branded snowshoes in REI yesterday, and whilst they were clearly well made, I couldn't really tell if they were worth the extra price over the Yukon Jacks in STP?

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It's budget dependent and it's true that you get what you pay for as far as weight savings for super long treks. You should be fine for trekking 2-5 miles in the midrange. Mine are midrange and I wouldn't even consider upgrading unless the gear was life dependent............ When I would snowshoe in the back country out west, my GF(girlfriend) had a higher end setup than I did and she was able to maneuver in the deep, better than I. If your gear broke down out there, you were screwed! My midrange Tubbs held up fine and performed w/o issue. However, here in the east unless we are doing Camel's hump or the Presidential range on a regular basis, I really don't need the highest end gear. Midrange performs better than adequate.

These look fine.......... but notice they are the higher end Yukon Jacks: http://www.cabelas.com/product/YUKO...VTAOGCh3LdgROEAkYAiABEgIz9_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

However, I would go w/ the mid-range MSR's as they will definitely last the rest of your life, have the easiest entry systems, and be pretty much bulletproof..........

Last edited:

Royal

UTAH
Skier
just remember, ALL snowshoes have a fatal flaw. You can't SLIDE back down. seriously, have you considered XC gear or even some short skis with skins? I've owned snow shoes since I built a pair of Black Forrest shoes in the 70's. I haven't used them since the 70's either. YMMV.

Royal

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
At 180 lbs for deeper, untracked snow I’d want at least 30” shoes,

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
If you have anything but more than very mild uphills, crampons and heel risers will make your life much better.

Cheap is fine if you're just tryign it out. But if you know you're going to use them a lot get the MSRs up front and be happy for the long run.

Sponsor

Staff online