• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Bigtinnie

Formerly 'sbooker' in another world.
Skier
My 10 and twelve year old kids can ski most of the mountain but they're at me to let them try snowboarding because it looks 'so cool'.
I think I will give them a couple of full day lessons when we're in Salt Lake. They will then see if they like it I guess.
Would Snowbasin or Snowbird be the best place to have the lessons? Myself and my wife would be skiing while they're in board school so either hill would be fine for us.
I have reservations about this because we can all ski together and if they adopt snowboarding it will be a setback of sorts while they're in the learning phase.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Snowbasin has a REALLY good beginner hill, serviced by a high-speed quad. Are you planning to put them in a private or group lesson?

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Either area will be able to accommodate a never ever snowboard lesson. My kids are a bit younger and all beginner skiers and they learned to ski at Snowbasin. I am sure if we skied snowbird learning there for them would be just as good.

Your kids can earn free season pass at Snowbasin as well via learn and earn program. https://www.snowbasin.com/lessons-rentals/learn-and-earn/

IMO, neither bird nor basin are ideal beginner hills but be patient with them and they will do fine.

TS
Bigtinnie

Bigtinnie

Skier
Snowbasin has a REALLY good beginner hill, serviced by a high-speed quad. Are you planning to put them in a private or group lesson?
Haven't worked that bit out yet. Are private lessons likely to help them pick up the new skills quicker?
We've never had lessons of any sort.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Either area will be able to accommodate a never ever snowboard lesson. My kids are a bit younger and all beginner skiers and they learned to ski at Snowbasin. I am sure if we skied snowbird learning there for them would be just as good.

Your kids can earn free season pass at Snowbasin as well via learn and earn program. https://www.snowbasin.com/lessons-rentals/learn-and-earn/

IMO, neither bird nor basin are ideal beginner hills but be patient with them and they will do fine.
Learn and Earn is sold out. It sells out really quickly every year!

Haven't worked that bit out yet. Are private lessons likely to help them pick up the new skills quicker?
We've never had lessons of any sort.
Well, they'll get more one-on-one attention, so, I'd say yes. What day of the week do you think they'll be taking the lesson? A lot of early week lessons end up as a private, but you can't request an instructor. If you were thinking of doing a private, I was going to get some recommendations for you. Of course, privates cost a lot more.

TS
Bigtinnie

Bigtinnie

Skier
I'll nail down days and dates and will let you know.
Thanks.

TS
Bigtinnie

Bigtinnie

Skier
I'd suggest Brighton.
We're on Mountain Collective so I'd prefer one of the other two.
Skied Brighton last year and it was ok but it didn't do it for me like Snowbird does unfortunately. I've not been to Snowbasin so it will be interesting to see how it compares.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Kbat117

Doing snow dances
Skier
Snowbasin local here. If they are never ever learner's, I will actually recommend Nordic Valley. Cheap lessons, usually small or even private lessons with the group rate, and down to earth people. I'm an instructor there btw.

Snowbasin is fantastic to, just a bit more expensive. More fun for you though if you want to ski on your own while they are in lessons.

SkiSpeed

Getting off the lift
Skier
Snowbasin is a great hill as is Snowbird. Snowbasin will have more variety and accessible trails for learning to board v Snowbird.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Definitely hit either Snowbird or Snowbasin. You need to have fun while the kiddos are in lessons. With a little luck, they will get frustrated sticking to the beginner terrain and stick their skis back on and join you on day 2. We just converted our son's GF to skiing. I'm incorrigible. I bought her skis for Christmas last year and this year a whole new ski outfit! We buy the tickets and ski wherever she wants to go.

TonyC

Contact me at bestsnow.net
Pass Pulled
Snowbird's instructors are first rate, but it's a dreadful hill for first timers. There's really nothing for them but 150 vertical Chickadee.

I know kids don't like to listen to their parents, but I would try to talk them out of wasting first time snowboard lessons in Utah if they are competent skiers. Give them those lessons in Oz and let them climb the learning curve there rather than losing the opportunity costs of Utah's quality terrain and snow.

My son Adam dabbled in snowboarding at ages 11-15, but only at the SoCal local areas which are very comparable to what you have in Australia. He stuck with his skis at Mammoth and in Utah.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I agree with TonyC.

I learned from experience.

Many years ago I said heck I wanna try snowboarding during my anual ski vacation with my family (I was much younger) even though I was a competent skier. After a few "runs" I threw in the towel and enjoyed the rest of my vacation skiing the entire mountain. It made no sense to start over with another snowsport. I did not enjoy being stuck to a small part of the resort while falling down constantly.

Phelmut

German for Northeasterner
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Snowbird's instructors are first rate, but it's a dreadful hill for first timers. There's really nothing for them but 150 vertical Chickadee.

I know kids don't like to listen to their parents, but I would try to talk them out of wasting first time snowboard lessons in Utah if they are competent skiers. Give them those lessons in Oz and let them climb the learning curve there rather than losing the opportunity costs of Utah's quality terrain and snow.

My son Adam dabbled in snowboarding at ages 11-15, but only at the SoCal local areas which are very comparable to what you have in Australia. He stuck with his skis at Mammoth and in Utah.

This sounds like solid advice. Why waste their time on beginner hills at an area where they could really enjoy some awesome terrain?

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I would let them try boarding on your local hill pre vacation. It will be a waste of some great mountains for them to do it out in Utah. The first few days of boarding are mostly spent falling often and hard and if they are really good they may actually make it off the bunny hill.

I am assuming that they are at least intermediate level skiers and can enjoy a lot of what UT has to offer terrain wise. If they are still novices then go ahead and let them board.

Edit: Just re-read OP and saw kids ski most of the mountain. Definitely, in my mind, boarding on this trip would be a mistake.

Last edited:

Sponsor